GCSE Maths: Question on bearings Watch

Dodi1991
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Normally I'm fine with these, but I don't know how to get to the answer for this particular question (see attachment). Can anyone help me out with the steps I need to take to solve it?
Attached files
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Add an extra two lines to make it into a rectangle.
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Calling those three points A, C and H in the obvious way: what angle does AH make with the line pointing north at H? So what's the angle AHC? So what's the angle HAC?
TheBigMooseMan
Report 10 years ago
I think there's a rule that says that the bearing of 072 and the angle between north line and the line of the hospital and the art gallery = 180.

Therefore you can work out the interior angle at the hospital. As both of the other angles are equal, you take the angle H (interior angle at the hospital) and divide it by 2.

The bearing at the cinema is simply angle C (interior angle at cinema) taken away from 270.
Dodi1991
TheBigMooseMan: I have found the supplementary angles (Art gallery bearing which is 72 and taking that away from 180 which I get 108. What do I do after that exactly?

Generalebreity: I did what you asked. Found out angle AHC, but how do you find out angle HAC and please explain its method

Thank you
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dodi1991)
TheBigMooseMan: I have found the supplementary angles (Art gallery bearing which is 72 and taking that away from 180 which I get 108. What do I do after that exactly?

Generalebreity: I did what you asked. Found out angle AHC, but how do you find out angle HAC and please explain its method

Thank you
AHC is isosceles...
Fuzzywuzz
Report 10 years ago
from there, angle CHA = 360-(90[the right angle]+108) = 162
triangle HAC is an isosceles triange, so HCA =HAC
HAC = 180-162)/2 = 9degrees
so therefore teh bearing is 72+9 = 081degrees

hope that cleared things up
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fuzzywuzz)
from there, angle CHA = 360-(90[the right angle]+108) = 162
triangle HAC is an isosceles triange, so HCA =HAC
HAC = 180-162)/2 = 9degrees
so therefore teh bearing is 72+9 = 081degrees

hope that cleared things up
You do realise it's not allowed to post full solutions on here, don't you?

Of course not. Because you didn't bother to read the post that says "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING !!". Sigh...
Dodi1991
generalebriety: I had the answer scheme, looked at it but posted here to learn how to do it. As long as I know how to do it, I am happy. Should have mentioned that before.

Fuzzywuzz: Thanks a lot for that. Cleared everything up

Thank you all for your help, this will always be my number one help place. Thank you all.

P.S. I just looked at the question again, realised that triangles add up to 180 degrees and that isosceles traingles have two angles that are the same.
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by generalebriety)
You do realise it's not allowed to post full solutions on here, don't you?

Of course not. Because you didn't bother to read the post that says "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING !!". Sigh...
Not everyone has such a love for rules and regulations as you. It would be great if you made out to something more human instead...
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hopping Mad Kangaroo)
Not everyone has such a love for rules and regulations as you. It would be great if you made out to something more human instead...
Those are the rules of the forum (which it will come as no great surprise to you to learn that I had a moderately large part in getting instated, for perfectly good reasons which are entirely wasted on you). If you wish to get to know me in real life - which of course you don't, because that would ruin all your best insults for me - pop along to Cambridge some time. Until then, we're on TSR. Follow its rules or bugger off.
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Those are the rules of the forum (which it will come as no great surprise to you to learn that I had a moderately large part in getting instated, for perfectly good reasons which are entirely wasted on you).
I know what the "reasons" are, I just dislike them. Asides, I was under the impression that they were merely guidelines.
If you wish to get to know me in real life - which of course you don't, because that would ruin all your best insults for me - pop along to Cambridge some time. Until then, we're on TSR. Follow its rules or bugger off.
When I said a relationship with something more human, just thought I would point out here in case you get any wrong ideas, I am straight.

And by the way, you are not a moderator. I am really not fooled in the slightest.
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know what the "reasons" are, I just dislike them. Asides, I was under the impression that they were merely guidelines.
In that you can't get warned for breaking them, yes, because that would be petty. Doesn't stop it being something that the regulars of this forum, including the minimods, agree is something that shouldn't happen, and people's posts have been edited by mods in the past for providing full solutions. We've been told we're perfectly entitled to report such posts. It's a rule, it's just one that everyone agrees it would be petty to give a formal warning for.

When I said a relationship with something more human, just thought I would point out here in case you get any wrong ideas, I am straight.
Insult. Cool.

And by the way, you are not a moderator. I am really not fooled in the slightest.
I wasn't attempting to fool you. I'm not a moderator. Congratulations.
nota bene
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Asides, I was under the impression that they were merely guidelines.
True, but that does not mean people will not be shouted at for running around and posting full solutions without thought. Full solutions are not banned because they can be necessary, but this does not mean people can go post them.
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In that you can't get warned for breaking them, yes, because that would be petty. Doesn't stop it being something that the regulars of this forum, including the minimods, agree is something that shouldn't happen, and people's posts have been edited by mods in the past for providing full solutions. We've been told we're perfectly entitled to report such posts. It's a rule, it's just one that everyone agrees it would be petty to give a formal warning for.
If someone asks for a full solution I see no reason why it should not be given, though perhaps it should be spoilerified. You could have been way more civil, the real reason you are pissed off it because a relative noob helped someone with a question. Thats something you really should face up to.
Insult. Cool.
Merely a statement of fact.
I wasn't attempting to fool you. I'm not a moderator. Congratulations.
So stop acting like as if you are one...
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by nota bene)
True, but that does not mean people will not be shouted at for running around and posting full solutions without thought. Full solutions are not banned because they can be necessary, but this does not mean people can go post them.
There is no real need to shout though, just a polite nudge for beginners. Otherwise you are just putting off new people giving help really, and the only person that it makes happy is this forums certain someone.
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If someone asks for a full solution I see no reason why it should not be given, though perhaps it should be spoilerified. You could have been way more civil, the real reason you are pissed off it because a relative noob helped someone with a question. Thats something you really should face up to.
No, I'm pissed off because you've taken to going round the forum insulting me. Feel free to disagree with me. Feel free to argue with me. But I draw the line at random strings of invective.

And I shall continue with refusing to be civil: it doesn't really matter whether you see a reason or not, because the rules - guidelines, if you like - see it differently. There were huge discussions on this, involving me and many other regulars, along with some then minimods (some of whom are now global mods and admins). It's not really me you're attacking here - I was one of the original few involved in the discussion, and I was a heavy participant, but you can hardly blame me for the rule being instated. If you want to challenge the rule, great. Go do so. I welcome all criticisms to the system I personally think is the most effective. But do so politely, without insults, and elsewhere.
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There is no real need to shout though, just a polite nudge for beginners. Otherwise you are just putting off new people giving help really, and the only person that it makes happy is this forums certain someone.
If they can't read the thread called "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING !!" - and they're hardly alone - maybe they deserve shouting at? Nonetheless, I was hardly shouting. It was more a sigh of despair, given that I've said the same thing politely maybe 300 times to different people now...
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No, I'm pissed off because you've taken to going round the forum insulting me. Feel free to disagree with me. Feel free to argue with me. But I draw the line at random strings of invective.
Hardly, you did start on someone here, yet again. Though this is an internet forum, a mere game for the most part. You care way too much, in fact I would guess it has become you life...
And I shall continue with refusing to be civil: it doesn't really matter whether you see a reason or not, because the rules - guidelines, if you like - see it differently. There were huge discussions on this, involving me and many other regulars, along with some then minimods (some of whom are now global mods and admins). It's not really me you're attacking here - I was one of the original few involved in the discussion, and I was a heavy participant, but you can hardly blame me for the rule being instated. If you want to challenge the rule, great. Go do so. I welcome all criticisms to the system I personally think is the most effective. But do so politely, without insults, and elsewhere.
I am not mainly attacking the guidelines here. Just your nasty behaviour. Dont try and redirect this into being something else.
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If they can't read the thread called "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING !!" - and they're hardly alone - maybe they deserve shouting at? Nonetheless, I was hardly shouting. It was more a sigh of despair, given that I've said the same thing politely maybe 300 times to different people now...
Maybe they missed it. There are plenty of ways you can come here without even seeing that thread, and most people dont want to read through every FAQ just to post. Nor should they.

And 300 posts on something so minor is just really sad. Or flagarent postwhoring.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (233)
27.54%
No (613)
72.46%

Watched Threads