The Student Room Group

Universities will not acknowledge my degree. Advice needed

Hey,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post but I am looking for advice as of what I should do as I am completely clueless. I won’t bore you with my life story, but I left school at 14 and therefore, I have no GCSE’s but I do have an upper 2:1 degree in Psychology. For what it is worth, I actually submitted my last piece of work, my dissertation, and gave birth two days later to my twins. So I am determined and committed.

I now feel this has gone to waste as no university I am considering will acknowledge my degree.

Psychology has always been a second option for me, whereas nursing has been my first choice. I did an access course many moons ago and got a selection of passes and merits. Bizarrely, I found college harder then university. I applied for nursing then, but offers got withdrawn due to the grades and went for my second option. I was unconditionally accepted given that I have 12 years experience working in care (health care assistant/support worker) and the completion of access course.

I now feel that it was a waste of time, money and paper my degree certificate is printed on as 2 of the 3 universities I am looking at will not consider it. 2 of the university’s want 5 GCSE’s (A-C) or access with a lot of distinctions and the final one wants 2 (Maths and English, A-C) on top of my degree. The second one is do-able but I don’t want to limit myself to one university. Though, I am limited to the three universities listed because I am a mature student with children - so that throws a spanner into the works.

I have no idea where to go from here. I can try again to do an access course or will it be worth it to bite the bullet and do the 5 GCSE’s? It would mean that I will have to do either 2 at college (Maths and English) as that’s the only GCSE that they do and the remaining 3 online or the total of 5 online which both universities will accept.

As cliche as it sounds, it’s always been a dream of mine to become a nurse. I just don’t know which way is best to overcome the barriers.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Original post by PoppyRaex
Hey,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post but I am looking for advice as of what I should do as I am completely clueless. I won’t bore you with my life story, but I left school at 14 and therefore, I have no GCSE’s but I do have an upper 2:1 degree in Psychology. For what it is worth, I actually submitted my last piece of work, my dissertation, and gave birth two days later to my twins. So I am determined and committed.

I now feel this has gone to waste as no university I am considering will acknowledge my degree.

Psychology has always been a second option for me, whereas nursing has been my first choice. I did an access course many moons ago and got a selection of passes and merits. Bizarrely, I found college harder then university. I applied for nursing then, but offers got withdrawn due to the grades and went for my second option. I was unconditionally accepted given that I have 12 years experience working in care (health care assistant/support worker) and the completion of access course.

I now feel that it was a waste of time, money and paper my degree certificate is printed on as 2 of the 3 universities I am looking at will not consider it. 2 of the university’s want 5 GCSE’s (A-C) or access with a lot of distinctions and the final one wants 2 (Maths and English, A-C) on top of my degree. The second one is do-able but I don’t want to limit myself to one university. Though, I am limited to the three universities listed because I am a mature student with children - so that throws a spanner into the works.

I have no idea where to go from here. I can try again to do an access course or will it be worth it to bite the bullet and do the 5 GCSE’s? It would mean that I will have to do either 2 at college (Maths and English) as that’s the only GCSE that they do and the remaining 3 online or the total of 5 online which both universities will accept.

As cliche as it sounds, it’s always been a dream of mine to become a nurse. I just don’t know which way is best to overcome the barriers.

Thanks!

Is your psychology degree BPS accredited? Are they not accepting you because of the other necessary requirements (i.e., the 5 GCSEs and access course) or have they said it's solely due to your degree?
Reply 2
Hi,

Yes it is BPS accredited. One admissions stated that they want the 5 GCSE’s (A-C) on top of my degree, the other stated that they will not consider the degree and entry requirements can be found on the course page online (again 5 GCSE’s A-C). The final university, is a post-grad 2 year course that only wanted 2 (Maths and English) but ideally I don’t want to limit myself to one university.
Hey,

Thanks!

You may have a degree in psychology but it does not mean you can calculate drug dosages. Nursing is the most applied to course so there are no shortage of candidates. I am not questioning your commitment as clearly you are driven. You need to do at least English and maths gcse and then apply.
So this is really about you not meeting the entry requirements, and is nothing to do with anyone 'not acknowledging' your degree.

If you're not prepared to jump through hoops (and understandably so) then you need to find another uni with fewer hoops. Given your drive, determination
and level of education I'm sure you'll get this sorted in no time. Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Hey,

I am happy to do Maths/English GCSE to prove that I am capable. My degree involved a lot of research methods, statistics and data analysis and also assignments such as essays, research reports and also the dissertation. So, without blowing my own trumpet, I would think that I can achieve a GCSE.

However, my question wasnt about the ability to do drug calculations, rather do I go for the long haul and do the 5 GCSE’s or should I attempt again for access, and aim for distinctions? I don’t know which university will look more favourable towards.. if that makes sense? Alas, I will be paying for the courses so I don’t want to make another mistake.
Reply 6
Hey,

I am happy to do Maths/English GCSE to prove that I am capable. My degree involved a lot of research methods, statistics and data analysis and also assignments such as essays, research reports and also the dissertation. So, without blowing my own trumpet, I would think that I can achieve a GCSE.

However, my question wasnt about the ability to do drug calculations, rather do I go for the long haul and do the 5 GCSE’s or should I attempt again for access, and aim for distinctions? I don’t know which university will look more favourable towards.. if that makes sense? Alas, I will be paying for the courses so I don’t want to make another mistake.

The 3 local universities probably have open days between now and September. Go and visit the nursing departments and discuss the situations with the tutors/staff members present. They will be able to give you accurate, tailored advice and it will help you choose where you want to apply for. You seem to have lots of experience and determination and the universities will want to help you apply so go and talk to them.

Maths and English are pretty basic requirements for most jobs. Lots of universities make nursing applicants sit a maths test even if they have the required gcse grades.

Very best of luck
Hey,

It really just depends whether you are happy applying to one university and taking your chance with them, or whether you want to attend one of the other universities. As long as you meet the requirements, universities don't look any more or less favorably on the number of GCSEs you have.

The English and maths GCSEs are a requirement of the NMC, so are something you would need to have regardless of your university. Most universities asking for more GCSEs may have a different process or different requirements for mature students so it may be worth checking this before making any decision.
Reply 8
Cheers for your advice, very helpful. I have contacted my local college in relation to the Maths and English GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending