Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    HELP! I am currently doing my footnotes for an essay, however, I am not sure if I am doing some of
    them right or if I could be accused of plaigiarism. Basically, I am using an
    article (included in my bibliography) which uses direct quotes from other
    people and then footnotes them. I have decided to use some of these quotes
    myself, but do I just footnote the original source like the writer of the
    article has or do I somehow have to say for each one in the footnote that I
    personally found the quote in the article rather than the original source? If
    the latter is the case could someone give an example of how you do this as I have never done one in such a complicated format? THANK YOU. I will rep anyone who helps me with this because I am completely stuck and the essay is due at the beginning of next week. :confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I would footnote the original source, not the article and then just put the article in your bibliography to show that you read it for research

ReputationRep:
    First of all you can't footnote a footnote
    You should footnote the article you are using. Basically you could footnote either one, but it's better to footnote your source (the article) and not the original one as you haven't actually read the original.

ReputationRep:
    You have to acknowledge the original source as well as the source that you got it from. So say your article is called 'X' and it is written by John Smith, and in the article was a quote saying 'Y' by a guy called Alan Goldberg. You've decided to just use the 'Y' quote written by Alan Goldberg. In your footnote you would have to say:

Alan Goldberg, "Y" in John Smith's X

So you have tell us the original source and in what secondary source you found it. Does that make sense?

It's best to check these things in your undergraduate hand book anyway, you must have a style sheet or something which gives you guidelines for how to do this. Different uni's have different rules.

ReputationRep:
    Is it a piece of work that counts to your degree or just an essay? Basically I agree with emerley, but my tutor once told me that (being a first year at the time) I could trust what the review article said and just quote that. Can't you ask your tutor what protocol is?

ReputationRep:
    Actually, you just quote the source where YOU found them. You don't have to reference the source that they referenced (indeed, we would get penalised for this).

Here's an example. The original source of the quote is John Smith but I read it in a piece by Adam Brown:

Smith (Brown 2005: 11) supports Mao's theory of historical diglossia as a cause of recent social segregation in Peru but suggests that it may be more limited in scope than previously imagined: "Blah, blah, blah, blah."

Obviously if you aren't using Harvard referencing then just change as appropriate but the source you need to reference is still the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuglyduckling2)
    Actually, you just quote the source where YOU found them. You don't have to reference the source that they referenced (indeed, we would get penalised for this). .
    Whereas I would get penalised for not doing this.
    OP - Which just goes to show you should really check with your own department as different departments and uni's follow different rules.

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate the replies and each of them is helpful but I don't know which to follow because some people appear to be saying different things? I have emailed my tutor but I really doubt that they will get back to me within the next couple of days and unfortunately our undergraduate handbook does not have stuff like this in.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by different?)
    I appreciate the replies and each of them is helpful but I don't know which to follow because some people appear to be saying different things? I have emailed my tutor but I really doubt that they will get back to me within the next couple of days and unfortunately our undergraduate handbook does not have stuff like this in.
    I'd stick with rottcodd's advice if I were you, because it's the safest, most accurate and most sensible option. Just footnote it as [Author X, "Essay Title", Journal, Year, page, cited in Author Y, Book Title, Publisher, Year, page] and you'll be on the safe side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rottcodd)
    OP - Which just goes to show you should really check with your own department as different departments and uni's follow different rules.
    Very true - good advice.

ReputationRep:
    If you are referencing a footnote, you specify that it is a note after the page number e.g. p43 n. 12

If you are referencing a quotation, you usually put 'X quoted in Y'

Thus if you were doing both you'd have (Smith quoted in Murry, 2003, p 43 n. 12)

But every department uses a different system so best to check as others have said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rottcodd)
    You have to acknowledge the original source as well as the source that you got it from. So say your article is called 'X' and it is written by John Smith, and in the article was a quote saying 'Y' by a guy called Alan Goldberg. You've decided to just use the 'Y' quote written by Alan Goldberg. In your footnote you would have to say:

Alan Goldberg, "Y" in John Smith's X

So you have tell us the original source and in what secondary source you found it. Does that make sense?

It's best to check these things in your undergraduate hand book anyway, you must have a style sheet or something which gives you guidelines for how to do this. Different uni's have different rules.
    :ditto:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Or, to make life easier, you could go and find the ORIGINAL article, and then just quote that

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.