Trying to stop saying ''This quote shows...'' (English Literature)

Watch this thread
wailzy
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm trying to stop saying ''This quote shows...'' when referring to literature in my essays, as my teacher said it's not really a good practice. Can anybody help me to find other ways of saying 'this ___ shows' without referring to the text as a quote?

Don't know if this entirely made sense.
billie mercury
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
I usually say the quote then start a new sentence "the adjective/noun/whatever "_____( adjective/noun/whatever you've chosen to analyse from quote)_______" in this sentence (you can add in what type of sentence it is as well) shows..." or "blah blah blah says ______(quote) which implies..." or "blah blah blah says "_____(quote)" which suggests that..."

Sorry if that makes no sense haha
wolfmoon88
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by wailzy)
I'm trying to stop saying ''This quote shows...'' when referring to literature in my essays, as my teacher said it's not really a good practice. Can anybody help me to find other ways of saying 'this ___ shows' without referring to the text as a quote?

Don't know if this entirely made sense.
Try to incorporate the quote within your writing. One way to practice is to write your essay without the evidence and just include the analysis, then plug in the evidence later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sheric
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
try and embed your quotes with your analysis, it shows a higher level of understanding, and makes you sound sophisticated. Or for example, let's say your quote is from Streetcar Named Desire, and the theme is Sexual Desire, taking the scene where Stanley lunges the meat at Stella in thought you'd say "the imperative exclamatory of Stanley's utterance "Catch!, shows raw physical lust, which is a symbolism of Stanley and Stella's relationship, as it is built on sheer lust, and sex, with nothing more to it". This is because of Stella's denial about Stanley's true image which is a toxic, dangerous man out to get rid of anything that stops him from attaining the American Dream. His encounter with Blanche shows that he is not in the marriage for better for worse, but rather what he gets from the Napoleonic code"
Basically that's what you need to do, but include more terminologies, embed your quotes, relate to other chapters, don't waffle, but make sure your analysis is indepth
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (89)
42.38%
They're exactly what I expected (49)
23.33%