Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Solitary Reaper)
    Flares make girls look so frumpy.
    See, this is what I'm talking about! Somebody on my level...

Like I said in my previous post, you have to be a very very certain way to carry off this look, and I'm afraid us mere mortals (most of the time!) cannot carry them off. It's just the way things are. I'm not saying if your in love with them don't wear them....I'm just being honest (Which seems to be rare around here) and saying they look pretty awful on most girls..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glassheart)
    See, this is what I'm talking about! Somebody on my level...

Like I said in my previous post, you have to be a very very certain way to carry off this look, and I'm afraid us mere mortals (most of the time!) cannot carry them off. It's just the way things are. I'm not saying if your in love with them don't wear them....I'm just being honest (Which seems to be rare around here) and saying they look pretty awful on most girls..
    it's just your opinion, not "the way things are".
    different people like the look of different things. I've seen very few people that i think looked bad in flares and it was usually because they had them really baggy at the top or because they were way too tight.

ReputationRep:
    YES! I'm living in my dark hudsons at the moment but felt when I bought them that I would just look out of place in the skinny jean clad world I inhabit, but now everyone is wearing flares and I'm feeling happy and fashion forward

ReputationRep:
    But how you see yourself is of course altered to how the rest of yourself does. I'm not being rude, but unless you ridiculously tall and have a tiny frame (Ala Kate Moss and the likes) - they are not flattering.
    Oh my god. Who made you Queen of Style And Taste. Get off your high horse luv, you're not the authority on what looks good and what doesn't. It's called personal style, taste and free will.

ReputationRep:
    But how you see yourself is of course altered to how the rest of yourself does. I'm not being rude, but unless you ridiculously tall and have a tiny frame (Ala Kate Moss and the likes) - they are not flattering.
    ^I have to agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9mm)
    ^I have to agree.
    Wanna be the male Trinny and Susanna?

We can be Samuel and Bjorn (I don't know your name ;_; )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9mm)
    ^I have to agree.
    Ditto.

ReputationRep:
    See....People agree....

I'm sorry, but flares look awful on most people. You can get upset and angry with me, and pretend its personal style, but at the end of the day, outfits either look good or they don't. And flares don't. Its not personal style, I think they look fabulous on kate moss, but on most people, it has to be said, they look horrid.

Call me what you like, but its pretty much fact. Your just angry because its something you like and wear, and its being slandered.

ReputationRep:
    Women especially look great in flares.

I'm talking here about a moderate flare or sensibly wide legged trouser, not those awful massive 'skater' things that were popular a few years back.

On most body shapes they're much more flattering than skinnies, and give much less impression that the wearer is gadding about in tights stuffed with oranges.

ReputationRep:
    I just have to disagree! I think bootcuts suit most bodyshapes, flares just make your ankles look the size of your thighs....like I have said a million times before, unless you have tiny but elongated to frame to carry this off, it looks silly.

ReputationRep:
    glassheart, can you post a picture of flares you don't like, and some bootcut jeans you do like? It'd be quite useful to see.

ReputationRep:
    See....People agree....

I'm sorry, but flares look awful on most people. You can get upset and angry with me, and pretend its personal style, but at the end of the day, outfits either look good or they don't. And flares don't. Its not personal style, I think they look fabulous on kate moss, but on most people, it has to be said, they look horrid.

Call me what you like, but its pretty much fact. Your just angry because its something you like and wear, and its being slandered.
    not everyone agrees. it is personal taste and personal style. how you can argue against that is beyond me. There's no such thing as universally 'looking good' or 'looking bad'.

She's not angry and neither am I. if we really cared that a lot of people don't like them then we wouldn't wear them obviously.
    it's just annoying how you act like your word is a universal truth. it's really very little to do with what you're actually talking about - just how you're talking about it.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, no problems. Think Mischa Barton....Style goddess, beautiful, slim, tall...

And look how awful she looks in flares here; http://frillr.com/files/images/misch...on_300x400.jpg

Now, she tries the bootcut look (probably a bit skinnier then bootcut to be fair), and there we go she looks fabulous once again;
    http://denimhunt.typepad.com/denimhu...ighwaist_1.jpg

This proves my point; Mischa Barton has a body to be envied by fashion wearers. She is thin, striking, and very tall, three attributes that can generally make most outfits look fabulous. But when she wears the flares (highwaisted or not), it has to be said, she looks awful. When she sticks to bootcuts, she looks fabulous.

And as if that wasn't enough proof, please tell me that this;

http://www.sohos.co.uk/acatalog/davidwideflaresback.jpg

Look better then this;

http://g-images.amazon.com/images/G/...4_347x683f.jpg

I

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    not everyone agrees. it is personal taste and personal style. how you can argue against that is beyond me. There's no such thing as universally 'looking good' or 'looking bad'.

She's not angry and neither am I. if we really cared that a lot of people don't like them then we wouldn't wear them obviously.
    it's just annoying how you act like your word is a universal truth. it's really very little to do with what you're actually talking about - just how you're talking about it.
    There is a universal fail safe look good, you can experiment, sure, but it often ends in ridiculous looks such as this.

I'm amused that you don't seem to understand, it is common knowledge that flares are just not flattering. Rarely.

I accept you think otherwise, I'm just saying, where the fashion world is concerned, and where 'general style rules' are concered, flares are not flattering. Sure they drift in and out of fashion, but they always look the same; ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    That first pair she's wearing are awful =/ But they're not proof, at most, they're evidence; justification of a viewpoint.

What about these? I don't tend to go, 'I'd look great in those', but on this occasion I'm tempted to.

ReputationRep:
    Proof and evidence mean practically the same thing....

As for the pair you posted, I still would waver as to whether or not they would be flattering on the majority of people. I've said it time and time again, you need to be a certain way to carry off this look (except for in the rarist of cases), otherwise they physically shortern ones leg, making them appear plumper, and then from hips downwards, it looks like a tree stump. Unless this is a look to aspire to...

P.S
    I'm not saying YOU didn't look nice, you could very well have 'proved' my point wrong (even though I said most, not all people).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    That first pair she's wearing are awful =/ But they're not proof, at most, they're evidence; justification of a viewpoint.

What about these? I don't tend to go, 'I'd look great in those', but on this occasion I'm tempted to.
    I personally think flared jeans are more unappealing than others. It just doesn't look right. The only people I've ever seen look alright in flares is our dear Katherine Hepburn:

and the women who modelled for the April 77 aw07 collection.

edit: actually I'm not really liking those shoes, which brings me to another point. Most flares cover the shoes in a way that it makes the tips usually look like a small mouse with its mouth peering out whilst caught under some fabric fallen off a table top, and now covering it.

editv2: typos corrected.

ReputationRep:
    There is a universal fail safe look good, you can experiment, sure, but it often ends in ridiculous looks such as this.

I'm amused that you don't seem to understand, it is common knowledge that flares are just not flattering. Rarely.

I accept you think otherwise, I'm just saying, where the fashion world is concerned, and where 'general style rules' are concered, flares are not flattering. Sure they drift in and out of fashion, but they always look the same; ridiculous.
    well then that's what you should have said in the first place. but frankly i still argue, if they always look ridiculous according to the fashion world then why does the fashion world keep reintroducing them?

Depending on your figure, i believe a flare is recommended to flatter you. balancing out your hips or something, idk i'm not really a fashion person.

and actually, i think if she'd got flares that fit properly then mischa barton would look better in the flares. it's only because they're too high waisted and big around her that they look bad. her legs actually look alright. also, aren't they a little slim for flares? i'd say those are more bootcut.
    not to mention everyones legs look better front on so the pictures aren't really fair.

lastly, the other pair of flares you show are disgusting flares. they're too wide at the top and bottom and i agree, definitely not figure flattering. but despite those jeans being horrible anyone even slightly podgy would look better in them than the skinny jeans. and even better in fit and flare jeans like the majority of people mean when they talk about flares.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    well then that's what you should have said in the first place. but frankly i still argue, if they always look ridiculous according to the fashion world then why does the fashion world keep reintroducing them?

Depending on your figure, i believe a flare is recommended to flatter you. balancing out your hips or something, idk i'm not really a fashion person.
    To your first point: The high end fashion world, (i.e. those who dictate what ends up in the crappy little likes of primark, badly reproduced, and turning the glamerous chanel star print to tack...don't get me started on that..) do not introduce fashion with the likes of you and I in mind, they introduce the, and then places like the previously mentioned primark adapt them, and make them more user friendly. For example, the fashion world introduce highwaisted, wide legged trousers, the chain store take will be denim flares. Which the masses will like, as they think there being 'fashiony' when really, there not at all.

Secondly, I hate to be rude, but as you said; you're not really a "fashion person". I spend many an hour pouring over vogue, checking out fashion blogs, writing freelance about such matters....so again, I hate to sound rude, but I am probably a little better informed than you.

ReputationRep:
    Secondly, I hate to be rude, but as you said; you're not really a "fashion person". I spend many an hour pouring over vogue, checking out fashion blogs, writing freelance about such matters....so again, I hate to sound rude, but I am probably a little better informed than you.
    fashionspotarian or ex-fashionspotarian? 0.o

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.