c4 vectors Watch

thomsd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
have this question

The points A and B have position vectors \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 6\\ 4\end{pmatrix} and \begin{pmatrix} 5 \\ 0\\ -6 \end{pmatrix} respectively, relative to a fixed origin.

Find in vector form an equation of the line which passes through A and B

I found the directional vector for this equation which I took vector B away from A getting directional vector \begin{pmatrix} 4 \\ -6 \\ -10 \end{pmatrix} which simplifies to \begin{pmatrix} 2 \\ -3 \\ -5\end{pmatrix}

so is the equation r=\begin{pmatrix} 1\\ 6 \\ 4 \end{pmatrix} +s\begin{pmatrix} 2\\ -3 \\ -5 \end{pmatrix} is this correct as the second part asked for the intersection point between this line and another which I know how to do, but came out with odd values which didn't work when i solved the simultaneously.
Zhen Lin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Your equation appears to be correct. Perhaps there was a printing error?
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, maybe you can post your working for the second half of the question, since that's where you're having trouble?
thomsd
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
okay using the line I have found which we think is right
r=\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 6 \\ 4\end{pmatrix}+s\begin{pmatrix} 2 \\ -3 \\ -5\end{pmatrix} and line m from question which is \begin{pmatrix} 5 \\ -5 \\ 3 \end{pmatrix}+t\begin{pmatrix} 1\ -4 \\ 2\end{pmatrix}

x=1+2s=5+t
y=6-3s=-5-4t
z=4-5s=3+2t

which after so
s=39/23
clear.twilight
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I get s = 1.

Try doubling the first equation. Take the third away from it. You get -2 + 9s = 7.
Candescence
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How did you get to s=39/23, you should get s=1 and t =-2
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (1)
20%
Pro-humanity (4)
80%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise