The Student Room Group

Acceptable age gap?

What do you guys think are the limits in terms of how young a girl is going out with a 17 year old? Opinions
*17 year old guy
Reply 3
I'm a guy, I always go by the half your age plus 7 rules, so I'm 19 so 19/2 = 9.5. 9.5+7 = 16.5 (However, I wouldn't date someone who's 16, just personally opinion) but there's a lot of lads my age who really should follow this.

ps, to any feminist out there, yes this clearly doesn't apply later in life around 36 and beyond it starts to gradually get weaker.
Honestly, any lower than 16 and it’s weird. 15+17 year old is odd. When you’re under 18, more than a year will be enough to make people have opinions on it. Not to mention the age of consent is 16.
Reply 5
If 17 then minimum 15 and maximum 20
Original post by Anonymous
What do you guys think are the limits in terms of how young a girl is going out with a 17 year old? Opinions

age is just a number
Attachment not found
Reply 7
Original post by iamsoweeb649
age is just a number
Attachment not found

U have any more?
Original post by Yokai2
U have any more?

Attachment not found
I got you
Reply 9
Thx
It's difficult to answer since we've been brought in a culture that has definitive views on AoC. Centuries ago, it was quite normal for a 29 year old man to marry a 6 year old (referring to Richard II), but wasn't intended to be consumated until the age of 12. Alas, the age of 12 is around the time when the majority of girls are physically ready and capable of producing healthy offspring. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's morally right for 12 year olds to be engaging in sexual activities, but the objective and biological view on sex is when that individual is sexually ready. The current age of consent law in the UK is quite strict in that sense. I personally don't believe in sex before marriage, but to put that into law cannot be done. I think the whole AoC thing is bogus since it's believed that the brain doesn't stop developing until around the age of 25-28. I don't believe that there's a sudden age where people can consent, whereas they couldn't before. It's obvious that a 12 year old doesn't know what they want as much as a 24 year old, but it's also obvious that a 12 year old knows what they want more than a 6 year old, so where exactly do we draw the line on acceptance? To me, accepting is a relative thing, just like the view on abstinence before marriage, therefore making any law based on that personal view unjustified. Biology is objective, so when an adolescent is physically and sexually ready, it seems most appropriate to draw the line there, regardeless of personal views.
Reply 11
age is just a number
Attachment not found

Jail is just a room
This varies widely with age and gender. In your teens every year makes a difference, however there is nothing wrong with one of the partners being much older (or younger) than the other as long as they are happy. Just remember that the age of consent is 16.
age is just a number
Attachment not found

Tell yourself that from your prison cell m9
Either 16, or a 15 year old who is about to turn 16.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending