IAL bio unit 4 June 2018

let this be the official page

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
wht parts of unit 1 and 2 do you need to know
The paper is highly synoptic , i'd suggest u to skim unit 1 and 2 :smile:
Guys how was it? I’d say it was fine
I found it abit hard. Especially these questions;
1. Was it succession on the decomposing matter or succession on the grassland in general?
2. What were the other factors (apart from climate change) that affected the baobab trees?
3. What'd you write in the interferons question?
4. 2 unethical issues of the elephant embryo?
5. How do scientists hope that this method would prevent extinction of elephants?
6. Why elephant conservation would decrease (something like that)
7. Why don't antibiotics work on cancer?

I feel like mark schemes are highly specific & what if some of my answers don't have the specific detail they would want so I'm really stressed
Also, what'd you guys think the grade boundaries will be like?
Reply 6
Original post by yourmedic786
Also, what'd you guys think the grade boundaries will be like?

they should be low cause the paper was kind of hard. Probably 60-63
Reply 7
1. Was it succession on the decomposing matter or succession on the grassland in general?
2. What were the other factors (apart from climate change) that affected the baobab trees?
5. How do scientists hope that this method would prevent extinction of elephants?

I feel like mark schemes are highly specific & what if some of my answers don't have the specific detail they would want so I'm really stressed

same I feel like my answers were very vague
Reply 8
did anyone find the paper long?
Original post by unknown2914
did anyone find the paper long?

Long as Helll !!!!
Did u managed to complete the paper?
Original post by Black.Panther00
Long as Helll !!!!

no didn't finish
what was the answer for the interfrons question?
Original post by Black.Panther00
Long as Helll !!!!

did u manage to finish
they should be low cause the paper was kind of hard. Probably 60-63

I think it will be higher, maybe around 70

Decomposition of matter was easy , there was different varied communities of insect colonising so succesion was occuring
biodiversity , different species insects **Micro-organisms** were present so the biodiversity was high
you have to write the Definition of succession and biodiversity then going on to explain each factor
7. Antibiotics only bind to specific receptors , cancer are caused my uncontrolled cell diving so antibiotics are of no use
1 unethical issue was like i wrote ** RIGHT OF EMBROYS** didnt wrote any other , wasnt having time , missed quite marks
lets hope for the best :smile:
did u manage to finish

yup kindda !
i found that clotting question hard only , and few other parts of other questions
Original post by Sama abu helou
what was the answer for the interfrons question?

explaining the different affects of interferons !
I think it will be higher, maybe around 70

naah mate not that high max like 65ish for an A*
58-59 for an A
Reply 19

I wrote:
1. Succession of the insects on the dead matter took place, they competed for space/nutrients, and enzymes secreted on decomposing matter liquefied it and it acted as humus and provided nutrients which were used by plants, and over time soil structure changed to allow more trees to grow, out compete one another and reach climax community.
2. Diseases/ deforestation
3.Prevents viral replication by binding to receptor sites and preventing virus from attaching to host cell. Inactivating enzymes inhibit enzymes reverse transcriptase/integrase and prevent DNA formation/protein synthesis. They prevent damage to T cells, allowing them to form T killer cells to fight virus
4. Can't act as god and manipulate embryo/ They have a right to life as they're living organisms.
5. It would make them better adapted to their environment. Woolly coat in the cold. It allows them to increase in population.
6. Attacked for wool, or they compete for space/ food with other similar organisms
7. Cancer cells are non living and dont have a cell wall so antibiotics cant attack them/ their antigens rapidly change so antibodies don't work/ resistance to antibiotics

Quick Reply

Latest