The Student Room Group

AQA A level Chemistry Paper 1 5th June 2018 Unofficial Markscheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bclewis10
How can it be cis and trans if there is no double bond???

Shut up
Wasn’t there a minimum temp for reaction to occur question
Reply 82
yeah the ph was 11.67 that’s what I got
Reply 83
Original post by AlkynesOfTruble
I got abundance as 10% :frown: how did you get 80???

10 was the abundance of each of the ones given 100-10-10 gave you the 80 which was the unknown
Reply 84
Original post by BYN9
If you hardly wrote any working out but wrote 'X=1', how many of the 7 marks do you get?

I think it would depend on your working. If you didnt show how you got x=1 you wouldnt get the mark for the answer (so no marks for guessing :frown: )
@Bulletzone This is my submission for your first post. I have confidence in all my answers here; I have left out things I'm unsure on.

Here are the answers I can remember which I also have confidence are correct. (due to checking with friends)
[NB: dA means delta A]

- lattice dissociation: -3888
- entropy change: +181
- dG: -1080 (to 3 SF); increasing the temperature caused dG to decrease because dS is positive so "-TdS" is negative
- BaCl2 in excess; 10cm3 of Na2SO4 required
- isomerism was cis-trans (or e/z); the other isomer had the two Cl ligands opposite each other
- bond angle was 104.5 degrees. The central N had 6 of its own electrons (5, +1 due to the overall negative charge). Two electrons used in bonding to H atoms so two lone pairs. Shape is tetrahedral but lone pairs repel more than bonding pairs, reducing the bond angle from 109.5 by about 5 degrees (2.5 per lone pair).
- x = 1

ALUMINIUM QUESTION:
a) AlCl3 + 6 H2O --> [Al(H2O)6]3+ + 3 Cl-
b) with sodium carbonate a white precipitate forms and there is effervescence:
2[Al(H2O)6]3+ + 3 CO32- --> 2 Al(H2O)3(OH)3 + 3 CO2 + 3 H2O
c) initially a white precipitate would form:
[Al(H2O)6]3+ + 3 OH- --> Al(H2O)3(OH)3 + 3 H2O
the white precipitate would re-dissolve when the OH- is in excess:
EITHER Al(H2O)3(OH)3 + OH- --> [Al(OH)4]- + H2O OR Al(H2O)3(OH)3 + 3 OH- --> [Al(OH)6]3- + 3 H2O (both accepatble)

6 MARK QUESTION:
- NaBr and NaI are both giant ionic lattices with strong electrostatic attractions between positive and negative ions which require a lot of energy to be overcome. However, the I- ion has a larger radius than Br- and therefore a smaller charge density. Therefore the ionic bonding in NaI is weaker than in NaBr, requiring less energy to be overcome.
- Na is a metal with metallic bonding between Na+ ions and a sea of delocalised electrons. However this is not as strong as the ionic bonding in NaBr/NaI because metallic Na does not exist in a giant lattice.

ELECTROCHEMICAL CELLS QUESTION:
a) Ions in the salt bridge are free to move, carrying a charge and completing the electrical circuit.
b) V = 0.34 - EMF
c) Because the concentration of Cu2+ ions in the LHS cell is lower than 1 mol/dm3 which is what's required for the standard electrode potential.
d) The concentration of Cu2+ ions would increase over time
e) EITHER the concentrations of Cu2+ become equal OR all the metallic copper on the LHS runs out (both acceptable)

KP QUESTION:
- partial pressures were 7.5, 22.5, 120.
- Expression for Kp = ( p.N2 * p3.H2 ) / ( p2.NH3 )
- units for Kp = kPa-2 (however I can't remember the numerical value)
- since the reaction is exothermic, increasing the temperature moves the position of the equilibrium to the left, reducing the partial pressure of NH3 and thereby decreasing Kp.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 67823
If you remember any questions & answers, please comment below

Lattice formation: -3888 kJ mol (3marks)
Kp: 2.99x10-3
Entropy: 181
Gibbs free: -1063
TOF distance: 1.54m (5 marks)
PH: 13.1
Ph: 4.28
Electrode potential: +0.18 (1 mark)
Ideal gas volume: 133cm
Concentration: 0.0218 (1 mark)
Type of isomerism: optical
Bond angle: 104.5 (3 marks)
Transition metals: complex ion Al3+
Al3+ with Co32-: white precipitate & effecversence (2 marks)
Back titration: 1 (7 marks)

Wasn't the bond angle 107 because there was only one lone pair of electrons
Original post by sas00
i got 267 too but lots of ppl say 133 do you knwo why?

Would not G be -1060 cos of theee significant figures. I got -1063 but then changes it to -1060 cos i verything was upto 3 sF in question
Reply 88
grade boundary predictions?
Was the rfm of sr 87.3 or 87.7? Because I think I wrote it down wrong and used 87.3, but I did the correct method but with 87.3. Do you think I would have got any marks?
Reply 90
Got that too
Original post by Lovearmy
Would not G be -1060 cos of theee significant figures. I got -1063 but then changes it to -1060 cos i verything was upto 3 sF in question

I did that as well
Reply 92
Original post by rexs2000
Wasn’t there a minimum temp for reaction to occur question

I don’t remember it... did I miss a question out? There was one that asked how delta G is affected when temp is increased I think
How many marks would I get if I forgot to do the subtraction??? :frown:

I got 10 too and now I'm literally kicking myself
Reply 94
Original post by yy9
transition metal complexes with four of the same ligands and two of different ligands show cis-trans isomerism, it’s on the specification bit of transition metals

I called it geometric would I get the mark?
For kp I got 120, 19.95 and 10.05
How many marks would I get if I forgot to do the subtraction??? :frown:

Probably two I would guess, one for the method of subtracting and one for the right answer
Original post by Tommy59375
Here are the answers I can remember which I also have confidence are correct. (due to checking with friends)
[NB: dA means delta A]

- lattice dissociation: -3888
- entropy change: +181
- dG: -1080 (to 3 SF); increasing the temperature caused dG to decrease because dS is positive so "-TdS" is negative
- BaCl2 in excess; 10cm3 of Na2SO4 required
- isomerism was cis-trans (or e/z); the other isomer had the two Cl ligands opposite each other
- bond angle was 104.5 degrees. The central N had 6 of its own electrons (5, +1 due to the overall negative charge). Two electrons used in bonding to H atoms so two lone pairs. Shape is tetrahedral but lone pairs repel more than bonding pairs, reducing the bond angle from 109.5 by about 5 degrees (2.5 per lone pair).
- x = 1

ALUMINIUM QUESTION:
a) AlCl3 + 6 H2O --> [Al(H2O)6]3+ + 3 Cl-
b) with sodium carbonate a white precipitate forms and there is effervescence:
2[Al(H2O)6]3+ + 3 CO32- --> 2 Al(H2O)3(OH)3 + 3 CO2 + 3 H2O
c) initially a white precipitate would form:
[Al(H2O)6]3+ + 3 OH- --> Al(H2O)3(OH)3 + 3 H2O
the white precipitate would re-dissolve when the OH- is in excess:
Al(H2O)3(OH)3 +OH- --> [Al(OH)4]- + H2O

6 MARK QUESTION:
- NaBr and NaI are both giant ionic lattices with strong electrostatic attractions between positive and negative ions which require a lot of energy to be overcome. However, the I- ion has a larger radius than Br- and therefore a smaller charge density. Therefore the ionic bonding in NaI is weaker than in NaBr, requiring less energy to be overcome.
- Na is a metal with metallic bonding between Na+ ions and a sea of delocalised electrons. However this is not as strong as the ionic bonding in NaBr/NaI because metallic Na does not exist in a giant lattice.

ELECTROCHEMICAL CELLS QUESTION:
a) Ions in the salt bridge are free to move, carrying a charge and completing the electrical circuit.
b) V = 0.34 - EMF
c) Because the concentration of Cu2+ ions in the LHS cell is lower than 1 mol/dm3 which is what's required for the standard electrode potential.
d) The concentration of Cu2+ ions would increase over time
e) EITHER the concentrations of Cu2+ become equal OR all the metallic copper on the LHS runs out (BOTH ACCEPTABLE)

it was [Al(OH0)6]3-
This is my first 10 page thread :biggrin:

:whoo:
Original post by harooney123
Wasn't the bond angle 107 because there was only one lone pair of electrons

There were 2 lone pairs and 2 bonding pairs
5+2+1=8, 8/2=4, shape = bent

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending