The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
This move is just an eye wash to keep the govt watch dog at bay :rolleyes:
Reply 21
Vazzyb
Exactly - if you found someone who got straight 300s in their AS levels - all of which were highly applicable to the subject, you wouldn't complain that they didnt know how to say 'i like playing football' in german!

:wink:
Reply 22
hobnob
Good point. I completely forgot about those statistics, sorry.:redface:

But surely a bad learning environment has a negative effect on people's performance in all subjects? Why would it affect language GCSEs any more than, say, Geography?:confused:

I think the point is that /unless/ the school has made it compulsory to have a language then it means very little that a person doesn't have a language GCSE. They may have just thought (at age 14) that another subject would be more interesting. I know that when I chose my GCSE options my school gave the option of doing RS instead of a language. If you wanted to do RS otherwise, you had to do it at the expense of history and geography. I had quite a few friends who wanted to do both RS and history, and so didn't study a language.
So having the matriculation requirement (even if it -was- routinely waived) officially makes half of all school-leavers ineligible for entry to Cambridge, and almost all of these will be amongst exactly the group that Cambridge are looking to attract. Ok -- so this won't make a huge amount of difference in terms of numbers, but I don't see the point in the requirement anyway.

Regarding the "Just an eye wash to keep government watch dog at bay" comment above: Well, yes, you could interpret it like this. Or it could be that Cambridge are genuinely making an effort to attract applications from non-traditional backgrounds. Or even that they thought that this matriculation requirement simply wasn't very useful nowadays. It's very easy to interpret anything somebody/something does for cynical motives.
Reply 23
Hedgeman49
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7297143.stm

Keeping up with modern education, or begging for state school applicants? Discuss.

Matriculation requirements have never been 'static'. Any college can apply to the Matriculation board in order to waver certain aspects of an applicant's case, this policy seems only to be formalising that process.
Reply 24
epitome
It does have a bad effect on all subjects. I think you might be missing the point a bit -- I'm in a rush, but will try to make sense of it:

All schools are ranked according to success at GCSE level, and this ranking has a *significant* impact on the further success of the schools (for vairous reasons, unimportant here). There are core academic subjects which all pupils in all schools have to study. Maths, English Language, and a Science. No other subjects are compulsory. These subjects are the only ones where the best and worst schools are judged on a level plaing field, and - obviously - the better schools come out best. In order to even things out, statistically, the worse schools then opt for 'easier' subjects in order to boost their students' marks, and therefore the schools' statistics.

Those schools dodging MFLs will often not insist that their students do a Humanities subject either -- all time might be taken up with GNVQs in Leisure & Tourism, Health & Beauty, or IT or something along those lines. So, where there are problems with MFLs there are often problems with ALL traditionaly academic subjects, but the problem is hidden by slightly etter statistics coming from the softer courses. This is why a new ranking system has been brought in, which ranks according to marks in those unavoidable academic subjects (Maths, English, Science).
So, the problem is not MFL-specific, it's just that MFL used to be compulsory and now it's not. All academic subjects are suffering, it's just most obvious with those that were once a core part of secondary education (and a core part of uiversity entrance).

Sorry for the haste, but I hope that sheds some light?
Essentially, it's *not* that MFL is the only thing that's affected, it's just that that one is easier to measure (and it's hte one under discussion).

(NB: I've said things like 'better' and 'worse' schools. Obviously, I'm generalising. Use common sense...) :smile:

It does, thanks.:smile:
Reply 25
In my school, a poor state comp, when choosing GCSEs we where given a list of subjects in four columns. You were only allowed to choose one subject from each column (not including Maths & English), I choose Seperate Sciences out of one column which meant that if I chose History from the other I wasn't able to do French (every subject did not appear in every column). Therefore we had very limited choice on what GCSEs we could take.
Reply 26
Any college can apply to the Matriculation board in order to waver certain aspects of an applicant's case, this policy seems only to be formalising that process.

Yup. And the Matriculation Board will, at some point in the not-so-distant future, cease to exist.
Reply 27
To be honest, though, while I agree it's a sensible move, I still think it's a bit ridiculous that the papers are making so much of this. Oxford got rid of formal matriculation requirements fifteen years ago, but I don't think I've ever heard it being praised for not having such a "significant barrier impeding access".:rolleyes:
Reply 28
epitome
Getting rid of the CAF (Cambridge Application Form), and the associated extra £10 charge, was a move to abolish something that is a genuine turn-off for people from non-traditional backgrounds.

They're getting rid of the CAF? Sure it was a pain, but sometimes it does help to distinguish between candidates - and there is the extra bonus of the mini personal statement.

On a moot point - are you suggesting that applicant are being put off for want of the £10 fee?:confused:
Reply 29
hobnob
To be honest, though, while I agree it's a sensible move, I still think it's a bit ridiculous that the papers are making so much of this. Oxford got rid of formal matriculation requirements fifteen years ago, but I don't think I've ever heard it being praised for not having such a "significant barrier impeding access".:rolleyes:

Really? Have you actually heard 'fifteen years' from somewhere, or was it a statement for dramatic effect?
I seem to remember them having matriculation requirements (or perhaps they were just recommendations?) when I applied... :redface:
Wangers
They're getting rid of the CAF? Sure it was a pain, but sometimes it does help to distinguish between candidates - and there is the extra bonus of the mini personal statement.

On a moot point - are you suggesting that applicant are being put off for want of the £10 fee?:confused:

Everything that was in the CAF is being transferred to the SAQ as far as I've heard. So they'll still have something to distinguish between applicants.

And £10 can be a lot of money depending on your situation.
Reply 31
Wangers

On a moot point - are you suggesting that applicant are being put off for want of the £10 fee?

Yes. It's gone already, for this next application round. It was seen as a significant barrier for potential applicants from non-traditional, or non-supported backgrounds (as with the £10 fee, yes. That can be a lot of money in some situations (indeed, it was more than half my food budget per week in 1st year), and there's also the perception problem: "Cambridge charges more just to apply. So it must be full of people who have lots of spare money", etc.

The information that was put on the CAF, though, will still be reliably obtaned through other means (probably an online questionnaire). This -- if it works -- will also significantly reduce administration at this end: it will all be put on the database much easier. Hence the abolition, too, for the fee. :smile:

It is very easy to be unaware of the very real problems affecting many applicants, or potential applicants.
i dont have a language GCSE

started and dropped out like 2 months in

through ill health, i hope im not under any disadvantage!

i did statistics to make up the year prior!
Reply 33
Elles
Really? Have you actually heard 'fifteen years' from somewhere, or was it a statement for dramatic effect?
I seem to remember them having matriculation requirements (or perhaps they were just recommendations?) when I applied... :redface:

I read somewhere that Oxford dropped them in 1993, but obviously that was well before my time as well, so I don't actually know for certain.:dontknow:
Reply 34
Elles

Which recommendations were these? I suppose there may have been course-specific requirements, but I'm almost sure the university has no particular matriculation requirements.
Reply 35
Solemn Wanderer
I don't see how the CAF distinguishes between applicants. With the exception of the unit scores sheet (which was on the SAQ until recently in any event), and the extra PS/reference which surely didn't add much, it simply repeated the information on the UCAS form.

The CAF, as I understand it, was principally administrative: it enabled interviews to be arranged before UCAS forms came through. If efficiency suffers, this will have been a bad thing.

I do disagree with abolishing the CAF. It's one thing to say that applicants from disadvantaged backgrounds should be encouraged to apply. It's quite another thing to say that someone who wants to have a huge amount of time and expense allotted to the consideration of their application (which will probably far exceed that put in by any other institution) should have the modest inconvenience of spending 30 minutes filling out an extra form.

I am also concerned that the advantage of putting unit scores in with the CAF (namely that the referee will get to cast an eye over them to make sure they are accurate/honest) will be lost.

You are quite right to think that the CAF simply improved efficiency. UCAS doesn't send the info to Cambridge in time for the interviews to be properly organised for the end of Nov/beginning of Dec. I'm not sure if this is set to change, or whether the online questionnarie will simply serve the same function -- it's still all a bit up in the air at the moment, I think, but I suspect the latter will be the case. Efficiency is unlikely to suffer, unless there is a problem with the technology...but then that's not all that much different to there being a postal strike, as last year! :wink:

I'm not convinced you quite understand the problems caused by the CAF, though, in your 3rd paragraph. It's not about "inconvenience", but about perceptions. Everyone, obviously, is more than capable of filling in these forms, and everyone can make time to do so. As I say, the form will still exist, just in a different way. This is not the problem. The fact is, the CAF was made a big fuss of in the application procedures, and it WAS a very real and daunting obstacle for those with little support to get over. Most of us will have had help from schools or teachers; some people do not. Forms were "lost" by schools, and it was a genuinely difficult hassle for a good many students to faff about filling in, getting info from teachers, and generally needing a bit of help with it. This, with the £10 fee, made the application procedures seem unnecessarily opaque.

It is very easy to underestimate the difficulty some people ave with what, to us, might be a very simple thing. This is not due to intelligence, but to extraneous factors beyond their control. The inbuilt unhelpfulness of some parents and teachers is unbelieveable, and can be extremely obstructive. It's all very well to say that students should just get on with it and go it alone, but not any people have the confidence, awareness, or information to do that -- it simply isn't an option in many cases. The easier we can make it for *everyone* to apply, the better. Cambridge does not suffer from making this change; but all applicants gain.
Reply 36
chris1200
Will e-SAQs (if they call them that then I officially came up with the name first!) go through UCAS advisors? I would think this would be necessary if they're going to keep the additional referee statement and declaration etc.

I'm pretty sure they will have thought of this. :wink: Awareness of cheating potential is not insignificant here.
Reply 37
epitome
Yes. It's gone already, for this next application round. It was seen as a significant barrier for potential applicants from non-traditional, or non-supported backgrounds (as with the £10 fee, yes. That can be a lot of money in some situations (indeed, it was more than half my food budget per week in 1st year), and there's also the perception problem: "Cambridge charges more just to apply. So it must be full of people who have lots of spare money", etc.

The information that was put on the CAF, though, will still be reliably obtaned through other means (probably an online questionnaire). This -- if it works -- will also significantly reduce administration at this end: it will all be put on the database much easier. Hence the abolition, too, for the fee. :smile:

It is very easy to be unaware of the very real problems affecting many applicants, or potential applicants.

I can see how £10 can be a lot of money - indeed my own food budget is about £20 a week. Having said that - online questionaires have their own problems - crashing/data security etc. I realise that there may be perception issues - but which other institution endeavours to interview almost all eligile applicants? (of course what you make of it is your own perogative) - but £10 in my opinion is a most modest amount for this opportunity - considering that its a one off fee, food in College and they sometimes offer accommodation. The hoards of reasonably intelligent applicants cannot possibly extrapolate to 'Oh the place is full of Etonians' (It not saying it isn't).

I agree it is alot of money in some cases - and there are of course applicants where the £10 would be a significant dent in the weekly budget -but overall I still think other factors conglomerate to far outweigh this consideration to the point of irrelevence.

Oh and Sol - I don't think it is quicker tbh - the way my school did it was after the UCAS online apps had been approved by the referee person - the Oxbridge forms were signed and posted off in one batch - effectively about the same time as UCAS was completed for cross checking purposes.
epitome
You are quite right to think that the CAF simply improved efficiency. UCAS doesn't send the info to Cambridge in time for the interviews to be properly organised for the end of Nov/beginning of Dec. I'm not sure if this is set to change, or whether the online questionnarie will simply serve the same function -- it's still all a bit up in the air at the moment, I think, but I suspect the latter will be the case. Efficiency is unlikely to suffer, unless there is a problem with the technology...but then that's not all that much different to there being a postal strike, as last year! :wink:

And UCAS crashed a couple of days before the Oxbridge deadline. I was so panicky that none of my application would get through at all!
Reply 39
Hedgeman49
Which recommendations were these? I suppose there may have been course-specific requirements, but I'm almost sure the university has no particular matriculation requirements.

They were definitely general because my sense of relief was for my MFL grade, which isn't a course requirement for medicine. This was for 2003 matric. :p:

Was something like "good standards of literacy and numeracy, usually satisfied by above a C grade at GCSE in english, a foreign language and mathematics" - parents probably still have the prospectus at home (!) Thinking about it, I don't think they were absolute - but a recommendation. Though the Cambridge ones sound like they were too if they were so waivable these past few years...

Latest

Trending

Trending