Top tips on how to write a fictional story Watch

Mysterygirl96
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I want to write a story, really good story but I've never written one before, I've always written a page or two of a story based on an idea that I had and then stopped and never went back to it. Then I'd write another and repeat the process. Sometimes when I get ideas from real life inspiration or dreams I've had etc. I would write them down and then become unsure how to make it into a story. Being a writer hasn't been something I've ever wanted to do but it's something I wanted to try and sort of enjoy, like a hobby. I just don't know how to come up with a good beginning, I mean I think that once I've got a beginning I'll be able to be on a roll and write the rest of it easily. I've tried to understand how other authors start their books but it doesn't help much. I want to write a romance story with mystery and secrets. Any tips on how to go about starting a story?
AndrewSCO
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm doing the exact same as you been wanting to write one for a while and I've decided this summer will be the one. I've already tried planning out a story from start to finish (very briefly, yet to get properly into the swing of starting).

I have absolutely no writing experience/qualifications so I'm just kind of winging it as I go along in how to do it haha.

I would say try and outline your story from start to end, flesh out all your characters on paper first and work out everyone's motivations, backstories, where they fit into the story, are they needed in the story, would it benefit to have another character to be able to work this part of the plot/themes better? I mean not much help but if you'd be up for chatting about it you're welcome to PM me and we could maybe help each other out
esralled
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There's thousands of things to know when writing engaging fiction.

-Show don't tell
-Tell don't show
-Don't use adverbs
-Do use adverbs
-Only ever use "he/she/they said"
-Know when to use direct, free direct, indirect, and free indirect speech
-Vary sentence lengths
-Avoid cliche

And thats just a fraction for the narration. The dialogue has a host of other rules.

My two biggest words of advice would be to read as much as possible - you can't be a good writer if you're not a good reader - and read Stephen King's "On Writing"
Shemokh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I used to ask myself the same thing. But here's what you should do first I guess;
1- Find what motivates you to write.
2- Realize how you want your book to start and whether or not you plan for people to read it.
3- Have an idea of where you want your book to end.
I guess that's it. Your characters will start to write themselves and make their own decisions as you continue writing. They become real individuals I guess so just get a start with your story then everything will start to work out.

Hope this was of use for you and if you ever want someone to read your stories then I'm in line!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (264)
15.32%
The paper was reasonable (960)
55.72%
Not feeling great about that exam... (370)
21.47%
It was TERRIBLE (129)
7.49%

Watched Threads