Reisei
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My textbook says different things.. For glucose it says sodium is actively pumped into the blood to create a concentration gradient to diffuse from the ileum into the epithelial cells. For amino acids, it says sodium is actively pumped into the ileum from epithelial cells so that it re-diffuses back into the epithelial cells, carrying the amino acids with it. Are there two distinct methods of transporting glucose and amino acids, or is one of them wrong? Which way is sodium actively transported?
Silverquill
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My notes said that they happen the same way :/ im confused now
Bertybassett
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Silverquill)
same. this topic always confuses me as there's different content everywhere.
Reisei
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Silverquill)
My notes did too but then I re-read my textbook and it's slightly different, not sure if one is wrong
jazz_xox_
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you're on AQA, I believe you only need to know the full process of the sodium-glucose co-transport, which you have rightly stated- and you just need to know that amino acids are also absorbed by co-transport, but I don't think you'd be expected to talk about this in detail. It's likely that they are slightly different, but my text book doesn't go into detail about this either.
jazz_xox_
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Actually, I think what I've told you is wrong.. the spec does say:

Mechanisms for the absorption of the products of digestion by cells lining the ileum of mammals, to include: • co-transport mechanisms for the absorption of amino acids and of monosaccharides • the role of micelles in the absorption of lipids.

My text book agrees with your first post that the Na+ is transported into the ileum for amino acids, rather than into the blood. so I'd stick with that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (7)
4.96%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (24)
17.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.02%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (20)
14.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (41)
29.08%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (25)
17.73%

Watched Threads