What is your opinion on the North of England? Watch

Cod3tte
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Just curious.

I'm from there, to be specific West Yorkshire.

Thoughts?
username3883544
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lovely beer from the north, such as Timothy Taylors.
Terrible train service- the Transport Secretary should be sacked
Two good cricket teams
Beautiful countryside
Only one good football team in Yorkshire, Huddersfield.
Interea
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I feel like it’s this mysterious place that I should know more about but I just never hear anything about. News is always from no further north than Birmingham, except occasionally when you get a novelty article labelled as from Yorkshire just to remind you it exists.

Maybe you guys have unicorns and fairies... I’ll never know
Cod3tte
Rep:
?
(Original post by DSutch)
Lovely beer from the north, such as Timothy Taylors.
Terrible train service- the Transport Secretary should be sacked
Two good cricket teams
Beautiful countryside
Only one good football team in Yorkshire, Huddersfield.
I can't say much about the beer as I do not drink.
I've heard about the train service, however, have never been on a train.
Not really into football or cricket.

But I do agree with you only the countryside, it's beautiful, I used to go there all the time when I was little, however, I live in the city.
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Some nice places, some not so nice places, a lot of people who are a bit 'look at me I'm a northerner.'

Mostly OK though.
Cod3tte
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
Some nice places, some not so nice places, a lot of people who are a bit 'look at me I'm a northerner.'

Mostly OK though.
I guess those people are just proud where they're from, and I guess you can hear it from their strong accents.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
ur from oop north
LibertarianMP
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Mostly OK though.
I think that's due to the North being a unique identity, something which makes us stand out a bit, which in all honesty the South somewhat lacks
Cod3tte
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
ur from oop north
Yep. I don't speak with a strong accent though.
Wooord
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m from West Yorkshire as well !! And I agree with what someone else has already said, some areas are nice some are not so nice. However this is the case, no matter where in the world you go
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Wooord; 6 days ago
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LibertarianMP)
I think that's due to the North being a unique identity, something which makes us stand out a bit, which in all honesty the South somewhat lacks
I don't think 'The North' stands out any more than 'The South'. Northerners probably just think it does.
LibertarianMP
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't think 'The North' stands out any more than 'The South'. Northerners probably just think it does.
Yeah, but more emphasis is put on the identity of the North, and I've never heard someone from the South described by the prefix Southerner. Shows like geordie shore also emphasise these differences

We literally have a giant statue to celebrate our identity
Interea
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah, but more emphasis is put on the identity of the North, and I've never heard someone from the South described by the prefix Southerner. Shows like geordie shore also emphasise these differences

How strange, I hear the word Southerner all the time, but very rarely Northerner. Guess it just depends on where you live, everything round here is very centred on the south of the country for whatever reason... It’s kind of sad, there’s a whole other half to the country with all its local culture that rarely gets seen elsewhere.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Northerners just care more about it. Southerners don't. Hence my 'look at me I'm a Northerner' comment.

& I've heard people described as southerners loads. You've never heard of southern fairies?
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I like it that the North has an identity - the 'South' is a bit of an amorphous thing.

The countryside is very beautiful in places like N. Yorks.

People from cities like Manchester seem to have a strong sense of their own culture and are proud of it, which I admire.
BritishJew
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

'Geordie shore' was inspired by The Only Way is Essex, surely?

And most Northerners label anybody from anywhere near the M25 as being 'cockneys', even if that is factually incorrect.

I hear 'Londoners' all the time also?

Oh and people from up North have a strange definition of 'Southerner', they think that people from Norfolk are 'Southern', which is weird because the top of Norfolk is just as Northern as Nottngham.

As for West Yorkshire... its alright, better than East Yorkshire but not as nice as North Yorkshire. South Yorkshire is a dump, but its got a bit of the Peak District in it.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BritishJew)
Oh and people from up North have a strange definition of 'Southerner', they think that people from Norfolk are 'Southern', which is weird because the top of Norfolk is just as Northern as Nottngham.
This is true but the reverse is also true for southerners.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Cod3tte)
Just curious.

I'm from there, to be specific West Yorkshire.

Thoughts?
i live in oldham which is okay i guess but its pretty deprived. thats so peak coz if oldham wasnt as shiz as it sounds, its a pretty okay area to live in. you literally have the country side on one side (15 mins drive from where i live) and then you have manchester city centre on the other (takes 20 mins on the tram) so yeh wudve been nice if it had better economy basically.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BritishJew)
'Geordie shore' was inspired by The Only Way is Essex, surely?

And most Northerners label anybody from anywhere near the M25 as being 'cockneys', even if that is factually incorrect.

I hear 'Londoners' all the time also?

As for West Yorkshire... its alright, better than East Yorkshire but not as nice as North Yorkshire. South Yorkshire is a dump, but its got a bit of the Peak District in it.
Norfolk is in East Anglia? I don't think most people would place it in the North, but it's debatable if E. Anglia is part of the 'South'.

The Peak District is in Derbyshire, not Yorkshire.
BritishJew
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Norfolk is in East Anglia? I don't think most people would place it in the North, but it's debatable if E. Anglia is part of the 'South'.

The Peak District is in Derbyshire, not Yorkshire.

That's what I'm saying.... A Londoner things Nottingham is 'North', but somebody from Manchester doesn't think Nottingham is North enough.

Its subjective.

This map is probably fair...

Attachment 753150
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (286)
15.15%
The paper was reasonable (1048)
55.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (409)
21.66%
It was TERRIBLE (145)
7.68%

Watched Threads