The Student Room Group

What is your opinion on the North of England?

Scroll to see replies

great place ruined by Geordie Shore, TOWIE, and wanna-be's

a bunch of overly tanned mutants
Haven’t really been there, went to Leeds once, and Nottingham - is that North? I’m sure it’s lovely though.
It's ok at times. There's some right old scummy chavs here though, although I do live near Liverpool which is a good and bad thing....
I went to North Woolwich once.

Twas not as grim as some say.
I’m a born and bred scouser :biggrin: Up here we’re tough northerners and not southerner softies! :P
Deprived..

It’s even worse in Bradford.
(edited 5 years ago)
Depends on whereabouts oop North, since Cumbria is hardly comparable with Middlesborough.

I'm from London and personally love Scotland and consider it to be generally nicer than the North, but I haven't visited the North enough to say for sure.
Original post by Wilfred Little
It's not subjective. Nottingham is in the Midlands.

not so black and white, many people in Notts claim they're up north lol I dont think they wanna be classed as midlanders
Original post by Bang Outta Order
not so black and white, many people in Notts claim they're up north lol I dont think they wanna be classed as midlanders

East Midlands:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Midlands

The Midlands:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Midlands

East Midlands derbies:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leicester_City_F.C.–Nottingham_Forest_F.C._rivalry
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby_County_F.C.–Nottingham_Forest_F.C._rivalry

I've never known anyone from Notts to say they are northerners but they can claim what they want if they want to be wrong. It is black and white. Nottingham is in the Midlands.
(edited 5 years ago)

I've never known anyone from Notts to say they are northerners but they can claim what they want if they want to be wrong. It is black and white. Nottingham is in the Midlands.

lol I dont need links, I know where Notts is but I still know people from notts who say they're northern, Im not saying they're right since I did put "lol" after it ..
Original post by Bas15448985
Deprived..

It’s even worse in Bradford.

bradford is the north

*oh thought this said worse *than Bradford, I'm buggin
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Haven’t really been there, went to Leeds once, and Nottingham - is that North? I’m sure it’s lovely though.

@Wilfred Little see? Another innocent "is notts north" discrepancy. Im telling you it happens mate.

Original post by Amanzhol
Depends on whereabouts oop North, since Cumbria is hardly comparable with Middlesborough.

I'm from London and personally love Scotland and consider it to be generally nicer than the North, but I haven't visited the North enough to say for sure.

The terrain and landscapes of Scotland can be much more breathtaking but there are areas just as grim if not worse than notorious northern areas :biggrin: i lived in one of em, do you know Inverness? :gangster:
(edited 5 years ago)
It's not subjective. Nottingham is in the Midlands.

Apparently 'Glossop' is officially considered to be in the East Midlands if you want to get technical, yet is further 'North' on the map than Liverpool which is considered to be in the 'North West', so I'm not sure that using UK 'regions' is the best measure.

I know that Nottingham is in the midlands, and the 'middle' of England is considered to be somewhere near Coventry.

But I'm saying that a lot of people in Brighton are going to see Nottingham as the 'North', because its so far away from the world they know.
(edited 5 years ago)
i lived in one of em, do you know Inverness? :gangster:

I know they must all be doing some really hard drugs up there, because they see a log in the lake and think its a bloody 'monster'.
Original post by BritishJew
I know they must all be doing some really hard drugs up there, because they see a log in the lake and think its a bloody 'monster'.

#logness
Northerners tend to have more grit in my experience. I'm from Yorkshire, and I've hardly met anyone from the north at my university.

The terrain and landscapes of Scotland can be much more breathtaking but there are areas just as grim if not worse than notorious northern areas :biggrin: i lived in one of em, do you know Inverness? :gangster:

I actually don't know anything in the Highlands, I only know Edinburgh, Glasgow and the Shetlands. But yes I have heard there are some pretty grim towns and suburbs, have yet to explore them myself though!
I lived in Bradford for a year and found it quite homely for all the Asian clothes shops, restaurants and fast food. On the other hand, I lived in Leeds for 5 years and absolutely ****ing hated it. Disgusting people, **** transport, nothing to do, everything is far away, everything is doom and gloom and depressing, nightlife is all the same, places are run-down, nothing to get excited about. It's easy to disappear and no-one would notice you've gone. I hope I never have to go back there as long as I live. I never saw all of West Yorkshire in the time I lived there, but Huddersfield and Wakefield were exactly the same in the few short trips I took there.

I'm a Londoner, born and bred. I love my home city and I always will. My life, career, friends, family, hobbies and personal interests are all in or around London. Unsurprisingly that's the only place I want to build a future for myself, despite how much my parents hate me for it.
Original post by Amanzhol
I actually don't know anything in the Highlands, I only know Edinburgh, Glasgow and the Shetlands. But yes I have heard there are some pretty grim towns and suburbs, have yet to explore them myself though!

shetlands, funny word that lol I know edinburgh more than glasgow. The Highlands are beautiful if you gain know-how to avoid certain areas. It's not all grass n hills n cattle :wink:
I live near Newcastle. There's some nice places and some not so nice places just like anywhere else in the country.

Pints also don't cost an arm and a leg. I like it up here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending