Doing Bad at GCSEs Watch

Fictitious
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know you might consider anything less than an A or an A* a fail if you're consistently working at that high standard, but Bs and Cs are good grades too - and they're not performing badly by any stretch!
My lowest grade at GCSE was a C in Maths... and I was really proud of it because I've always struggled with this subject! Despite getting As and A*s in everything else, this was the grade that meant the most to me.
So - even if you're aiming high - don't put yourself under unnecessary pressure. Just do your absolute best and then you'll have nothing to feel angry or disappointed about!
Emmska
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Irrelevance)
Not everybody's an academic, don't worry about it. Just do your best, s'all that matters
Too true! I got a C and laughed, its not the end of the world.. Now I'm doing AS and getting A's so its all
a bit pointless beating yourself up over grades lower than A.
Tallon
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
average grades are C?
B and above is abvoe average isnt it?

Something my head teacher said in assembly once really made me think. He said how great he was at history and RME and he easily got 3 As. But he was way more proud of his C in chemistry, And he failed tech completely but he didn't really care. Made me think that. Reminds me of myself.
jonny0679
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by KnightRider)
Maybe your not uneducated or dumb, but definitely ignorant. Two people are looking to get into the same course at university. The university can pick only one. Both have a good range of extra curricular activities on their UCAS, and are likeable enough to want to teach. Are they going to pick the one with 10 A*s or the one with 9 A*s and 1 A?
the one with character and is likeable, not some sad ******* with no life outside studying
Emmska
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jonny0679)
the one with character and is likeable, not some sad ******* with no life outside studying
True. Unis are more likely to take someone with lower grades who comes across as a rounded person
than a superbrain with no social skills.
tom_tom_tom
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i got a few B's tbf i was happy with them, i didnt put alot of effort into some of my subjects

wish u had now thou!

*sad face*
GemmyMonster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hmm..

I'll be personally happy if I get C or above in everything I'm taking.

Ok admittedly, that's due to personal circumstances though - if it wasn't for certain things, I'd have been hoping for all A and A* GCSEs. Now I'm going to be lucky to get 1 A*

Also both unis and employers would rather someone who will work really hard and get a B than someone who's lazy but gets all As, surely? After all - who will do better if they come across something they don't understand; someone who tries hard or someone who can't be bothered?
blondie_lauren
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
my high school was a grammar school, so typically everybody was about the same (interlectually anyway) when we all started at 11. going through school, we were all soon seperated into "clever" ratings.. not by sets but socially, into friend groups and the like. i found all my friends at GCSE got about the same, relativley low for being at a grammar school which so many expectations from teachers and other students.
me and my friends.. how to put it.. wern't (lol i'm going to sound so sad) but.. bimbos.. blondes.. whatever you call it. we wern't particularily interested in school or studying. call it ignorance.. i don't care. a lot of people at my school cried on GCSE results day, i clearly remember head girl doing so because she didn't get 10 A*s- she got 6A*s and 4 As. to me, this is ignorance- i know a lot of people on this forum will agree with me, but whoever is saying it on here is getting fair slated so i'm trying to say it neutrally and keeping the peace.
anyway! results day arrived- and bare in mind i didn't revise much- i acheived 2 As, 5 Bs, 2 Cs and a D in these subjects :

A- German
A- English Lit
B- Art
B- English Lang
B- Textiles
B- ICT
B- Maths
C+C- double award science
D- Geography

to me, this was awesome! all my friends gained similar results. we were all happy.
i can honestly say i hated school, looking back even though they were 5 years of memories, i HATED IT! school didn't interest me. however, gaining 2 As in German and English Lit, some may say the more accademic subjects than say Art or Textiles, i was THRILLED! and that is what we need to see, people smiling about what they can acheive, rather than frowning about what they didn't.
what i hate most, is people who complain about results saying that they could have acheived so much higher, like some people on here.
"im going to be disappointed if i get Bs or Cs"
to be honest, if your capable of getting As and A*s, then you will. its up to you how much effort you put in- looking at the head girl of my school not acheiving 10 A*S.. why was she *****ing? she either didn't try/revise hard enough to GAIN HER FULL POTENTIAL.. or that WASN'T HER POTENTIAL.
im at my schools sixth form now.. absolutly love it.. not doing as accademic subjects anymore
Business, Art, English Language and Psycology. im predicted (don't hold me to this!!) 2 As and 2 Bs.. very good results at AS and A level. GCSE's don't really matter past year 11. no one really has asked me about mine since i came to sixth form. and unless your planning on oxbridge (which i'm not.. belive me!) i wouldn't really bother about "stooping so low to get Bs and Cs."
sorry about the long paragraph, couldnt stop my self! HA!
xxx lauren
relay130591
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
ive just got back from the cambridge law conference and asked about how much your gcses acctually affect your assesment. i got told that some colleges accept people who didnt do too well at gcse level but have excelled at a level. ive decided to just 'excel' this year. last year wasnt my best year
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (6)
16.67%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (17)
47.22%
Nope, not that interesting (13)
36.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise