?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
How much more work is A levels as a whole despite doing less amount of them
y12_maths
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A lot, I'm still only in first year (year 12) and I've had more work to do this year than I did in year 11. That being said, as long as you use your time and study periods effectively, you'll cope just fine.
FreshPrince102
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by y12_maths)
A lot, I'm still only in first year (year 12) and I've had more work to do this year than I did in year 11. That being said, as long as you use your time and study periods effectively, you'll cope just fine.
do you do maths?
can you give me tips on getting a/a* and how much revision i should put in in year 12
BTAnonymous
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by FreshPrince102)
do you do maths?
can you give me tips on getting a/a* and how much revision i should put in in year 12
You put as much revision as you need. There's no 'golden' amount of time which guarantees an A*.

For maths, it's really down to practice (as you've probably read a bunch of times). Do plenty of past papers and if you finish them all, move onto other exam board papers and if you finish them, move onto Solomon papers.... then teach yourself the STEP specification and you're probably guaranteed an A*.

Over exaggeration above but just put as much effort in to reach the level of ability you want, ie, achieving an A/A*.
FreshPrince102
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BTAnonymous)
You put as much revision as you need. There's no 'golden' amount of time which guarantees an A*.

For maths, it's really down to practice (as you've probably read a bunch of times). Do plenty of past papers and if you finish them all, move onto other exam board papers and if you finish them, move onto Solomon papers.... then teach yourself the STEP specification and you're probably guaranteed an A*.

Over exaggeration above but just put as much effort in to reach the level of ability you want, ie, achieving an A/A*.
what do you recommend i do in the holiday before i start?
IQuitTSR
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did 10 GCSE's and did well in the exams (not to brag)

I do 4 A levels now

I felt the workload was about the same (then again I chose the 4 subjects I enjoy most at GCSE) but that A levels are more about understanding concepts rather than just recalling facts.

Here is my idea on a perfect summer break:

Get all your subject's specifications and start reading about your subjects in advance so that you have a head start (no need to do any past paper questions tho you can do a few in the resource you use). This will help you from forgetting your work from GCSE too and imo it's better than revising.

However, don't spend long on this (at most 1 hour every 2/3 days). That's because you need to spend your summer enjoying it :P. Also, try to not think about your GCSE results (until they come out, that is). If those thoughts come just get your favorite entertainment .
BTAnonymous
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
as much study as you want... it's not necessary to revise before the summer though.
FreshPrince102
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BTAnonymous)

do you recommend any revision guides for learning content or practise workbooks? and also can you explain briefly what STEP is
arizonaidiot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
John cena vs kevin hart
BTAnonymous
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
do you recommend any revision guides for learning content or practise workbooks? and also can you explain briefly what STEP is
STEP is a necessary requirement to study maths (or maths related courses) at some universities. It's a series of hard maths questions. you can find them on physicsandmathstutoe
blink.182
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't revise in the summer, please just enjoy it. As soon as you start year 12 be on it from day 1. If I had to compare year 11 to year 12 i would compare mental health. 6th form is incredibly depressing, lonely, competitive and demanding so make sure you can get through it!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.3%
Excited but a bit nervous (129)
44.95%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.54%
I'm really nervous (58)
20.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise