Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have very long curly hair and I'm getting it cut next week as I'm off on my gapyear travels soon and want it to be slightly more practical so it doesn't take as long to wash, need as much shampoo/conditioner etc. It's currently, mid-way or a bit more down my back, (though longer when straight obviously), with some layering and no fringe, middle parting. It suits me. It's one of my best features.
    As it is at the moment I tend to wash it, comb it, then normally towel dry it lightly, add some mouse while it's damp, scrunch it up a bit with my hands and leave it to dry naturally - normally in the evening, so I sleep with it wet and it's pretty nice when I wake.

So any ideas how to get it cut/styled?

I wanted to have it short, but I've been warned against this by my parents who love my hair and don't want it all cut off. Also I don't really have any visible cheek bones and my face probably errs on a more round side, so this probably wouldn't suit me.
    Thing is, I don't know what to expect if I get it cut, as in the last 5 years or so the shortest it has been is shoulder length and I didn't have curly hair as a kid. It's currently quite straightish undernearth and right on top at times, but maybe if there was less weight these bits would curl up more? I know that has been the case in getting it layered.

So, are there any really short hairstyles that would suit me?
    And if not, what length is best for keeping practical? Maybe if it's still long it is best for it to be able to be tied-back at least.

I really want a hassle-free option. No styling or products involved while I'm away (6 months).

Help?

p.s. I can't believe I've just managed to write so much about my hair :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    I have wavy hair and I cut mine short about a year and a half ago. It works fine cos I use straightners but when it starts to grow long it can stick out a bit like now as I'm growing it.

I had mine styled like Keira Knightley.

ReputationRep:
    I'm exactly the same as you, with curly hair etc.

I cut my hair short because i wanted a change- kind of like a longer version of a bob and it's lovely.

BUT as i have curly hair, short hair has actually turned out to be more of a hassle than long hair was. Even with short hair, i still have to put mousse in or it frizzes and still wash it everyday and straightening is so much more of a hassle coz there are lots of fiddly small bits.

With long hair, if you're having a bad hair day or whatever, you can just put it up in a ponytail/scrunched bun etc and it looks fine but you don't really have that option with short hair [unless you want a ridiculous looking 1 cm ponytail :rolleyes:].

oh and when i was getting my haircut, this is the pic i took to my hairdresser:
    http://www.hairstylescut.com/celebri...y-Clarkson.htm
    it's the last one on the 2nd row of pics!

ReputationRep:
    As above, I have naturally curly hair and having it cut short was the worst thing I ever did. It changed the curl of my hair, and id have random half curls sticking up all over the place. It was very tempremental, and so hard to ever get right. I ended up just strightening it all the time and frying my hair.

Id not recommend having it cut short personally. Its pot luck as to whether it ends up ok or a whole load of hassle.

ReputationRep:
    mine was a bit longer than this:
    Spoiler:
    Show

and usually a bit more curly than that, when i got drunk and fed up with it and cut it off myself. it was this short(excuse the pic, i only have one and it's from another thread about photoshop):
    Spoiler:
    Show

it was really easy to look after (brushing used to take ages) and didn't get in the way or take ages to dry or anything but i really really missed my long hair after about a week so you might want to consider that. keeping it long and in plaits all the time might be a good idea because it will stop it getting knotty/in the way but you get to keep your hair

and yes, when you cut it the top usually goes more curly.

why don't you buy some hair magazines and find something you think will suit you? then take it along to the hairdresser.

ReputationRep:
    there are many suitable shampoos and conditioners for long hair

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the opposite - growing my curly hair so I can just tie it back whilst I'm away!

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you get it just below shoulder length? then it will still be able to frame your face, be tied up and still curl. Or alternatively as Death.Drop said, just don't get a lot cut off, get about 4 inches off and just tie it up into ponytails/plaits and by the time you're back from your travels it will have grown back.

edit: i've just reaslied how old this thread is... oops.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.