The Student Room Group

Which University would you recommend for Law?

(edited 4 years ago)
Liverpool, Sheffield, Keele, Swansea, Coventry and Lancaster spring to mind
Original post by tblNick
I want to study LLB Law. Mainly RG Universities. Not the top RG Universities.

I will be studying the following A Levels this September:

(1) English Literature
(2) RS: Philosophy & Ethics
(3) Government & Politics/Politics
(4) Greek

These are my GCSEs:

(1) English Literature: 9
(2) English Language: 6
(3) Mathematics: 5
(4) Core Science (Double): C/C
(5) History: B
(6) Computing: B
(7) Religious Studies: B
(8) Citizenship: B
(9) Greek: A
(10) Drama: DISTINCTION
(11) Media Studies: C

Extra-Curricular:

Gonna apply to:

(1) Pathways to Law Programme
(2) Sutton Trust Summer School
(3) Realising Opportunities
(4) School Activities/Trips etc.

Note:
- My parents didn’t attend university.
- Took my GCSEs at a below average pass rate school
- Free school meals
- Low house income

CONSIDERING everything of the above, which Russell Group Unis do you think I have a chance in receiving an offer from? I’m not looking to get a place at a top university (I assume I’m not capable of based on my GCSEs). Which RG Universities do you think I will be suitable for? If not for a Russell Group, then which non-RG universities do you think I could get an offer from? Any advice on choosing a university would be helpful. Be honest and give me your real thoughts on this.

you would have a chance getting in most. Possibly Bristol and Exeter migh be worth looking into as they make contextual offers.Southampton, Cardiff, Liverpool, York, Lancaster might be worth looking at as well. Manchester, Leeds and Queen Mary might prove difficult as they tend to view gcse results closely
Reply 3
Original post by dannydevil117
Liverpool, Sheffield, Keele, Swansea, Coventry and Lancaster spring to mind

(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
you would have a chance getting in most. Possibly Bristol and Exeter migh be worth looking into as they make contextual offers.Southampton, Cardiff, Liverpool, York, Lancaster might be worth looking at as well. Manchester, Leeds and Queen Mary might prove difficult as they tend to view gcse results closely

(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by JohanGRK
Meh, probably Leicester, QUB, and the like. Maybe Southampton, Birmingham, Liverpool, etc (the middling RGs) - they seem to be taking everyone these days.

(edited 4 years ago)
You could in principle get into any, if your A-Level grades were up to scratch. Until you have actually sat your AS/mocks and know where you're approximately at, we have no idea how you might do. GCSEs will be looked at by the top unis, but all A*s are not absolutely necessary. Your extracurriculars and your personal circumstances are not that relevant either; might get you a lower offer, but that's only after they've decided you're good enough to be given an offer. Might make them look at your GCSEs with a more forgiving mindset, but not that significant.

I got GCSEs not too dissimilar to your own and got offers for law from several top places, and an interview at Cambridge.
Queen's University Belfast springs to mind
Reply 8
Original post by Notoriety
You could in principle get into any, if your A-Level grades were up to scratch. Until you have actually sat your AS/mocks and know where you're approximately at, we have no idea how you might do. GCSEs will be looked at by the top unis, but all A*s are not absolutely necessary. Your extracurriculars and your personal circumstances are not that relevant either; might get you a lower offer, but that's only after they've decided you're good enough to be given an offer. Might make them look at your GCSEs with a more forgiving mindset, but not that significant.

I got GCSEs not too dissimilar to your own and got offers for law from several top places, and an interview at Cambridge.

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by tblNick
Thanks for your reply. So, out of this I understand that the main focus will be on my A Levels, and by that means, if I do achieve "good" A Levels, my GCSEs wont limit my chances that much? Overall, you are saying that I still have a good chance of getting an offer from "good" universities if my A Level grades match their offers? Thanks a lot.

If you got really quite great grades, yep. Your GCSEs do harm your chances of getting into the top-top, Oxbridge/LSE and indeed UCL/KCL/Durham/Bristol, but that can be saved by some really great grades at A-Level. For the average "good unis", your GCSEs won't even register as an issue. I am talking about Manchester, Newcastle, York, Warwick and the now-famed QUB. The lesson, really, is that RG unis are not that hard to get in even for a competitive subject like law.
Reply 10
If you got really quite great grades, yep. Your GCSEs do harm your chances of getting into the top-top, Oxbridge/LSE and indeed UCL/KCL/Durham/Bristol, but that can be saved by some really great grades at A-Level. For the average "good unis", your GCSEs won't even register as an issue. I am talking about Manchester, Newcastle, York, Warwick and the now-famed QUB. The lesson, really, is that RG unis are not that hard to get in even for a competitive subject like law.

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by tblNick
Right, I see. I want to be honest and I see my limitations. I believe the universities which you have listed are my "top" choices and preferable the best I think I can do. Could I PM you just in case I have any other questions etc? Once again, thanks for your advice.

Feel free.

Alternatively when a new question emerges, you can just post the question in the Law forum and you'll get several people reply rather than just me in PM.
Original post by tblNick
I want to study LLB Law. Mainly RG Universities. Not the top RG Universities.

I will be studying the following A Levels this September:

(1) English Literature
(2) RS: Philosophy & Ethics
(3) Government & Politics/Politics
(4) Greek

These are my GCSEs:

(1) English Literature: 9
(2) English Language: 6
(3) Mathematics: 5
(4) Core Science (Double): C/C
(5) History: B
(6) Computing: B
(7) Religious Studies: B
(8) Citizenship: B
(9) Greek: A
(10) Drama: DISTINCTION
(11) Media Studies: C

Extra-Curricular:

Gonna apply to:

(1) Pathways to Law Programme
(2) Sutton Trust Summer School
(3) Realising Opportunities
(4) School Activities/Trips etc.

Note:
- My parents didn’t attend university.
- Took my GCSEs at a below average pass rate school
- Free school meals
- Low house income

CONSIDERING everything of the above, which Russell Group Unis do you think I have a chance in receiving an offer from? I’m not looking to get a place at a top university (I assume I’m not capable of based on my GCSEs). Which RG Universities do you think I will be suitable for? If not for a Russell Group, then which non-RG universities do you think I could get an offer from? Any advice on choosing a university would be helpful. Be honest and give me your real thoughts on this.

Sound like me, with a little lower GCSEs and I didn't do the things you are 'gonna apply for'.
I got an A* EPQ, ABB, went to my AAA offer for Nottingham so recommend, Bristol lowered my offer weirdly to ABB, my insurance,, UEA is good for a back up, Kent is nice also. I'd also go for one or two out of Warwock, Durham, London unis, Oxbridge (but don't rush your app to apply for Oxbridge). You have 5, might as well use 'em
Reply 13
Feel free.

Alternatively when a new question emerges, you can just post the question in the Law forum and you'll get several people reply rather than just me in PM.

(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Chichaldo
Sound like me, with a little lower GCSEs and I didn't do the things you are 'gonna apply for'.
I got an A* EPQ, ABB, went to my AAA offer for Nottingham so recommend, Bristol lowered my offer weirdly to ABB, my insurance,, UEA is good for a back up, Kent is nice also. I'd also go for one or two out of Warwock, Durham, London unis, Oxbridge (but don't rush your app to apply for Oxbridge). You have 5, might as well use 'em

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by tblNick
Be honest and give me your real thoughts on this.

It's too early to say. If you do well in your 'A' levels, Oxbridge is not out of the question, IMO. Four may be too much thought, with almost all offers being on the best three.
Original post by tblNick
That’s great to hear, it really helps me knowing that there are also people who didn’t get all A*/As and succeed regardless. I will bear in mind the unis that you have listed. Thanks a lot for your time and help, it’s highly appreciated.

Np at all, all the best

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending