Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
X_Hope_X
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What help do you need with the psychodynamic approach?
soIiIoquy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
(Original post by X_Hope_X)
What help do you need with the psychodynamic approach?
how can i link it to issues and debates and also the id,ego,superego and how that links with the concious, unconcious and preconcious...
Yeeticus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well to put it very plainly the psychodynamic approach is essentially concerned with the id, ego and superego. The id is representative of primitive instincts or urges, the superego represents morality and the ego is the balance of the two.

Freud also develops his stages of psychosexual development within this approach. The stages follow as oral, anal, phallic, latent and genital. The oral stage is where the libido is centred around the babies mouth and so the baby derives pleasure from sucking on things etc. In the anal stage the libido is focused on the anus and so the child gains pleasure from defecating. The phallic stage is where sensitivity becomes concentrated in the genital area. This is also the stage where Freud’s Oedipus/Electra complex occurs. The latent is where no further psychosexual development takes place. Freud thought that during this stage, sexual urges and desires are repressed and can be focussed into other things such as school, hobbies and friendships. Lastly the genital stage is personal development and maturation. This is a time of adolescent sexual experimentation and the successful resolution of this stage results in settling down with a partner and sexual instinct is directed to heterosexual pleasure rather than self-pleasure as seen in the phallic stage.
soIiIoquy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yeeticus)
Well to put it very plainly the psychodynamic approach is essentially concerned with the id, ego and superego. The id is representative of primitive instincts or urges, the superego represents morality and the ego is the balance of the two.

Freud also develops his stages of psychosexual development within this approach. The stages follow as oral, anal, phallic, latent and genital. The oral stage is where the libido is centred around the babies mouth and so the baby derives pleasure from sucking on things etc. In the anal stage the libido is focused on the anus and so the child gains pleasure from defecating. The phallic stage is where sensitivity becomes concentrated in the genital area. This is also the stage where Freud’s Oedipus/Electra complex occurs. The latent is where no further psychosexual development takes place. Freud thought that during this stage, sexual urges and desires are repressed and can be focussed into other things such as school, hobbies and friendships. Lastly the genital stage is personal development and maturation. This is a time of adolescent sexual experimentation and the successful resolution of this stage results in settling down with a partner and sexual instinct is directed to heterosexual pleasure rather than self-pleasure as seen in the phallic stage.
this is really helpful, my textbook is way too detailed
Yeeticus
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That’s just the basics of the approach but you can obviously go into detail with what occurs in each of the psychosexual stages and how that affects development, e.g- in the oral stage, if a child is underfed or overfed this can lead to oral passive behaviour (trust, dependent) or oral aggressive (aggression, dominating). In the same way if toilet training in the anal stage is too harsh or too lax then that can result in anal retentive (tidiness, obsessiveness, mean, stubborn) or anal aggressive (untidiness, generosity).
soIiIoquy
Rep:
?
That’s just the basics of the approach but you can obviously go into detail with what occurs in each of the psychosexual stages and how that affects development, e.g- in the oral stage, if a child is underfed or overfed this can lead to oral passive behaviour (trust, dependent) or oral aggressive (aggression, dominating). In the same way if toilet training in the anal stage is too harsh or too lax then that can result in anal retentive (tidiness, obsessiveness, mean, stubborn) or anal aggressive (untidiness, generosity).
so could you get a scenario q based on the psychosexual stages? like linking them?
Yeeticus
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by soIiIoquy)
so could you get a scenario q based on the psychosexual stages? like linking them?
Yep, there is a possibility in that. After all one of the requirements from the spec is the knowledge and application of each approach. They’d most likely give an extract and ask how it links to a certain approach/perspective. You can see how to define the psychodynamic perspective below.

The psychodynamic perspective believes that our childhood can impact significantly on our behaviour as adults. As such, individuals have very little free will to make choices in life; instead behaviour is determined by unconscious motives and childhood experiences.
soIiIoquy
Rep:
?
Yep, there is a possibility in that. After all one of the requirements from the spec is the knowledge and application of each approach. They’d most likely give an extract and ask how it links to a certain approach/perspective. You can see how to define the psychodynamic perspective below.

The psychodynamic perspective believes that our childhood can impact significantly on our behaviour as adults. As such, individuals have very little free will to make choices in life; instead behaviour is determined by unconscious motives and childhood experiences.
rightt okay, got it

thanks fr
Samiik
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
An IDA paragraph would be that its determinist. For AO3 you could also argue that its mostly seen as a pseudoscience due to lack of empirical evidence and it being so subjective and link to falsification
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (119)
28.33%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.57%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (81)
19.29%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.52%
No - I live at home during term anyway (123)
29.29%

Watched Threads