The Student Room Group

So you've finished uni...what now?

I've recently finished my final year exams at uni, enjoying some time being lazy and binging netflix...as you do.

What are others in my situation doing now?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Travisty
I've recently finished my final year exams at uni, enjoying some time being lazy and binging netflix...as you do.

What are others in my situation doing now?

My cousin is going straight into a job ...
I recommend you 2 as well but yet again no one can blame you if you have a short lazy period.
Reply 2
Original post by Kev lad
My cousin is going straight into a job ...
I recommend you 2 as well but yet again no one can blame you if you have a short lazy period.

That's great news. It's definitely a challenge getting a job straight out of uni.

I got applications in early and secured a grad role starting in September. I've got a summer job from July-September so just have June for my lazy period aha
I went straight into a job because I knew if I wouldn't all the new graduates would take up the current graduate schemes. It's okay to give yourself a break for a little bit, but do remember unless you have a job lined up, it's hard to get work in the feild that you want. You don't want to work try volunteering to build experience. Employers tend to ask "why is there a big gap between when you finished uni and work" so, see what you feel best doing! Congrats on finishing btw!
That's great news. It's definitely a challenge getting a job straight out of uni.

I got applications in early and secured a grad role starting in September. I've got a summer job from July-September so just have June for my lazy period aha

I never understand this. I see it all the time, but I never understand it. Is it just the English job market? I went to uni in Scotland and 95% of people I know from uni had graduate jobs lined up before graduating. At least 50% of those people had their jobs lined up before even starting their final year. Why do so many people on the student room say that it's difficult to get a job out of uni? Companies hire graduates years in advance, it's arguably one of the easiest ways to find a job.
Reply 5
Original post by GoingToBurst
I never understand this. I see it all the time, but I never understand it. Is it just the English job market? I went to uni in Scotland and 95% of people I know from uni had graduate jobs lined up before graduating. At least 50% of those people had their jobs lined up before even starting their final year. Why do so many people on the student room say that it's difficult to get a job out of uni? Companies hire graduates years in advance, it's arguably one of the easiest ways to find a job.

I'm not sure what you studied, but that may have an impact. I agree there are a lot of graduate schemes and graduate targeted roles, but usually, it's very competitive with hundreds of applicants per role.

Getting a graduate role is also different to getting a graduate role in your area of study, or a role you're happy with and not just settling for.

England and especially places like London are extremely competitive for most subject areas.
I'm not sure what you studied, but that may have an impact. I agree there are a lot of graduate schemes and graduate targeted roles, but usually, it's very competitive with hundreds of applicants per role.

Getting a graduate role is also different to getting a graduate role in your area of study, or a role you're happy with and not just settling for.

England and especially places like London are extremely competitive for most subject areas.

I studied accounting and finance and work in accounting. As do most of my friends. Some went into investment banking. I have a lot of friends who studied law, and they didn't struggle to find work either. It's the degrees that don't really take people into any kind of career that people seem to struggle finding work for, but it blows my mind that so many people study subjects that won't lead them into a career anyway.

Accounting, investment banking and law. I also had a couple of friends in teaching who also didn't have an issue finding jobs, but that much is obvious given the teaching crisis.
I went and visited places nearby I'd always been meaning to but hadn't got around to.
Ah. The only smart thing Lena Dunham has ever said was "post grad delirium" in her debut film. I see the post-grad delirium so much, it normally comes from either no work experience to supplement your degree, or *****y employers not hiring grads. If you're stuck in a post grad delirium you should've worked during uni, even wiping down the pub at the weekend if you had to. :s-smilie: Now you need a miracle, which is someone giving you a chance with an empty CV with only volunteer work as a teen if that. Not you per se, OP.
bump
Pretty harsh and simply not true.

Some people take a longer time figuring out their next steps
Reply 11
Original post by faith 101
Pretty harsh and simply not true.

Some people take a longer time figuring out their next steps

Absolutely agree. Some people study degree subjects and towards the end find that it isn't what they'd like to pursue.

It's arrogant and ignorant to assume everybody who goes to uni has a specific career in mind once they've finished.
And how exactly would you know that?

Plenty of people think about careers before even applying to university, only to finish their degrees and finding themselves wanting to change direction, but unsure about that direction
It's not enough to just think about what career you want. You won't know for sure if you like it until you actually try it.
Reply 14
Doesn't it feel weird that you're not actually on summer holiday, but unemployed?
You're just out of tune with the real world. Getting work experience is easier said than done and even if you get something in all 3 summers, that's only 3 roles that you've tried. It's stupid to assume everyone will know their desired career path by graduation if they try.
Reply 16
Original post by LL2018
Doesn't it feel weird that you're not actually on summer holiday, but unemployed?

I'm sure others who have just finished are realizing the break is more permanent if employment isn't found.

I think I would be worried if I had finished without securing a role, or wanted to take time to re-evaluate my passions
There are more graduates than graduate jobs so your theory on the availability of experience is fundamentally flawed.

Lol there you again thinking people can pick a career without experiencing it - you've got no idea.

Also OP said they have a graduate job lined up so again it seems you have no idea what you're talking about.
(edited 5 years ago)
Again, it's no good telling people to just do an internship because there are not enough for everyone.
Again, you're failing to grasp the implications of supply outstripping demand. If you are unsuccessful in the first cycle then you become even less competitive compared to those who were successful in the first cycle.
Now you're suggesting you can get an opportunity after multiple cycles but then if you don't like it, you still don't know what career you want and it's close to graduation time.
It's not enough to simply be competent, that's not how competition works. You need to be better than the other applicants.
If there are 5 jobs and 4 hard-working students then yes, if you put some effort in you'll be able to get that 5th job. But if there are 5 jobs and 6 hard-working applicants then it's not enough to put in a 'mininal amount of effort' you need to be better than the top 5 competitors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending