Tiffany42
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Anyone who is doing medicine through clearing could you be kind enough to share your story?
FutureMissMRCS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Only SGUL was in clearing last year for medicine,before that I don't think medicine was in clearing.(someone correct me of I am wrong).
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tiffany42)
Anyone who is doing medicine through clearing could you be kind enough to share your story?
Yep medicine is never in clearing - other poster was right - there was one site last year only - but that was a one off.
aleexhunt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Liverpool were as well I think
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes this will be a very small number of people.

I also suspect those that got in were actually very qualified.

You can of course still apply to Anglia Ruskin for 2018 entry, but that is a one off this year.
S2M
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Yes this will be a very small number of people.

I also suspect those that got in were actually very qualified.

You can of course still apply to Anglia Ruskin for 2018 entry, but that is a one off this year.
Does Medicine even go into clearing? I thought it didn’t considersing the amount of people wanting to study it.
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Black Water)
Does Medicine even go into clearing? I thought it didn’t considersing the amount of people wanting to study it.
It's so competitive that one or two unis have decided that holding a small number of places - ST George's did ~50 the other two unis last year did less - specifically for clearing to try to pick up the very best of the ~11,000 who don't get any offers is actually worthwhile. They still go through interviews etc.
S2M
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nexttime)
It's so competitive that one or two unis have decided that holding a small number of places - not more than 5 I don't think - specifically for clearing to try to pick up the very best of the ~11,000 who don't get any offers is actually worthwhile. They still go through interviews etc.
Oh right. Since a lot of the applicants are very good, is it a sort of first come first serve? Or are the best of the best only chosen?
medic18
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
im pretty sure sheffield went into clearing last year, ive heard of people who got in with AAB as well
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Black Water)
Oh right. Since a lot of the applicants are very good, is it a sort of first come first serve? Or are the best of the best only chosen?
I think they get a LOT of calls so whilst it won't be purely first come first served, delaying in any way is very much a bad idea.

Like I say I think they still put them through a rigorous application process including interviews.
Tiffany42
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by medic18)
im pretty sure sheffield went into clearing last year, ive heard of people who got in with AAB as well
Do you know what the UKCAT cut off was?
aleexhunt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tiffany42)
Do you know what the UKCAT cut off was?
It was around 670 I think
medic18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by aleexhunt)
It was around 670 I think
i think this years sheffield cut off was 2460, not sure about last year. but its important to remember that just beacuse they did go into clearing last year (which i think they did) by no means does it mean theyll be doing it again. Actually im not even sure if it was clearing, i know for sure they were accpeting people with below the requiremnts who'd put them as either firm or insurance, but they may have also accpeted others. also if youre interested in clearing make sure to contact the medicals schools directly beacue its not something they genrally tend to advertise
medic18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
and lke others have said, it is rare for medicine to go into clearing, but not unheard of
oranges n lemons
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think quite a few unis accepted people that missed the grades
quite a few people I know got into Birmingham, Nottingham and Leicester etc with AAB-ABB because so many people just didn't get the required grades
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (162)
58.91%
No I haven't decided yet (66)
24%
Yes but I might change my mind (47)
17.09%

Watched Threads