Turn on thread page Beta

Which (of these) is the least egalitarian country? watch

• View Poll Results: Which is the least egalitarian country out of those listed below?
    USA
    59.26%
    Australia
    9.26%
    UK
    20.37%
    Canada
    7.41%
    New Zealand
    3.70%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xximstrongerthanthatxx)
    its lame in that he thinks that an individual with no knowledge of a word is therefore uneducated, unintellectual..etc...

I'm sure i can make a list of words i know through education that he wouldn't know. it just shows the intellectual snobbery in TSR
    It wasn't the fact that you didn't know the meaning of the word, it's the fact that you think people shouldn't use such words, for such and such reasons. How is that intellectual snobbery?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nothingspek)
    It wasn't the fact that you didn't know the meaning of the word, it's the fact that you think people shouldn't use such words, for such and such reasons. How is that intellectual snobbery?
    She clearly has reverse intellectual snobbery ideals.

ReputationRep:
    google is your friend.
    Australia, incidentally, has had enormous problems with racism in the last century, especially towards Aborigines. These problems probably eclipsed any race-related problems in the UK.
    people tend to forget or have never even heard of the White Australia policy. it officially ended in the 70s, but it is an indicator of the underlying racial problems in Australia. Not so long ago there were some major incidents involving Australia's Lebanese community.

ReputationRep:
    its lame in that he thinks that an individual with no knowledge of a word is therefore uneducated, unintellectual..etc...
    It's your attitude that earnt you the above attributes. There's nothing particularly wrong with not knowing what a word means, but insulting others because of your own ignorance (and inability to use a dictionary) sadly means that you occupy the zenith of anti-intellectualism.

I'm sure i can make a list of words i know through education that he wouldn't know. it just shows the intellectual snobbery in TSR
    Go on then, but I'm warning you, any septisyllabics and you'll get a sound-telling off for trying to sound all clever.

ReputationRep:
    what the frick does egalitarian mean???
    How the hell can you get all the way through your school education and not know what that means? That's unbelievable.

ReputationRep:
    well i study buisness, world politicals and global consumerism in the subject and surely egalitarianism would come up. Maybe its because im not upper class and go to a state, urban sixth form lol
    I went to a state comprehensive school my whole life and I still managed to come out with a basic grasp of the English language.

ReputationRep:
    sooo, surely it means democratic, ie everyone gets a say?? Why couldn't you just use a simple common word everyone understands instead of showing off your 'intellectual vocabulary' to prove your intellectual greatness..GOD it irritates me when people do this.
    Egalitarian is hardly an uncommon word when discussing politics.

Just because you haven't heard heard something, doesn't mean they\re "showing off".

ps. you use a thesaurus to find definitions? I guess that says it all...

ReputationRep:
    I don't know that much about the other countries, but I'd say the UK is the least.
    How does that even make sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Solitary Reaper)
    How does that even make sense?
    Because I feel that in the UK we regard the upper classes as more important than lower.

ReputationRep:
    Because I feel that in the UK we regard the upper classes as more important than lower.
    But if you don't know about the other countries how can you possibly compare?

Bah, never mind... back to work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Solitary Reaper)
    But if you don't know about the other countries how can you possibly compare?

Bah, never mind... back to work.
    I know, which is why I said beforehand that I didn't know much about other countries.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'd imagine that the UK has the strongest class divide, and is also the only place on that list where you can tell someone's social class by their accent... Then there's all the different names that British people have for people of different classes: rahs, sloaneys, chavs, townies, etc...

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure i can make a list of words i know through education that he wouldn't know.
    I'm still waiting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by no hero in her sky)
    rahs, sloaneys.

What are these?

(Original post by no hero in her sky)
    chavs, townies
    Are these not subcultures rather than classes?

ReputationRep:

That's absolutely ridiculous. If anything you're probably being accused of being uneducated and unintellectual because of your appallingly presumptuous and insulting attitude; simply because someone used a word that you don't know you accused them of being 'arrogant' and trying to 'show off' when they indicated nothing of the sort; demonstating ignorance and generally a crappy attitude.

Then as soon as people start pointing this out you start whining about how people are picking on your because you're not upper class or whatever; which is completely irrelevant and just makes you look stupider to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon the UK.

Of course, the highest class are the MP's, with one law for them and us lowly proletarians linger in the muddy waters.

And under Labour, the gap between rich and poor has grown. Under Labour of all people!

ReputationRep:
    what the frick does egalitarian mean???
    Almost 13 years in school and you Don't know that? Its suprising but I guess not everyone knows every word.
    What annoys me is how childish your being about it:
    It's not arrogant to use "big words"
    Why do you think you have to be upper class to know words like that? The UC is made up of lords and ladies and their family - I'm sure there aren't many UC people here. Maybe MC but not UC. All that aside I'm working class (admitedly not the chavy end of it but working class all the same) and I go to state school and I know what that word means

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    In my experience, in terms of social standing, power and wealth:

Rahs > Sloanies > Townies > Chavs

Of course, there is some overlap between adjacent the categories.
    You can be a Rah and a Sloanie. You can be a chavvy townie.
    On the other hand, being a chavvy sloanie or a chavvy rah is a self-contradiction.
    I'm guessing that's been over simplified for my benefit..

But what are the actual characteristics of Rahs, Sloaneys and townies? What seperates them? Who are they?

EDIT: Would a Rah be described as being "preppy" in the US.. or do i have the wrong end of the stick?

Socially? Economically? Based in terms of income dispersion, arguably the US still.
    Fairly pointless debate. A few quick resources I've had bookmarked if people are interested in this area (warning: lots of empirical data):

http://www.economist.com/media/pdf/D...EX_2007_v3.pdf
    http://hdrstats.undp.org/indicators/147.html
    http://www.wider.unu.edu/home/en_GB/index/
    http://hdr.undp.org/en/media/hdr_200...n_complete.pdf

EDIT: OK, well. Looking at the level of this thread I've way overpitched... but hey, might useful to someone's research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.Fluffy.x)
    I'm guessing that's been over simplified for my benefit..

But what are the actual characteristics of Rahs, Sloaneys and townies? What seperates them? Who are they?

EDIT: Would a Rah be described as being "preppy" in the US.. or do i have the wrong end of the stick?
    Similar I suppose but really rah's are a breed unto themselves. They're generally posh, upper/ upper middle class people who tend to have a predilection for horses, Jack Wills and pointlessly driving around in gas guzzling, carbon emitting 4x4's when they live in central London (or any other town for that matter :p: ).

And why is everyone still going on about one person not knowing what egalitarian means? Does it really matter?

I'm going to go with the UK for emphasis we still put on class, and how we're always defined by it despite an individual's own merit. But then again, I don't really know much about how egalitarian those other countries are and it strikes me as a highly subjective concept, surely people's definition of an 'egalitarian society' is subject to (often contentious) debate?

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.