The Student Room Group

Going back to uni

Hey there, I really need some help. In 2016 i completed my A-levels and got into uni. I really loved the course i was on but my personal life got in the way of my studies. My mum had fallen really ill and was in hospital and i was constantly worried because i was far away living in accommodation so i went back home to see her. There was a lot of things going on within my family such as my brother going into foster care because my mum was unable to look after him due to her illness.

These issues affected my work and my attendance got very low. I was lieing to my tutors saying i would do better and attend more lectures but i was just emotionally depressed and had no mental capacity to learn because of my stress. I loved being at uni and having my own room and being independent. I was so motivated and did so well in my first few months of uni, i made a load of new friends and was enjoying my course. i did pretty well on my assignments too. But come around February time these issues messed everything up for me. I tried to remain strong and possitive and wanted to believe id make it through to the next year but i failed. I didn't go to any of my exams, none of my resits and worst thing is, i didn't even tell my tutors anything because, i guess i was trying to appear like i was a good student and got everything together.

After a year, i have got everything together. My mum is better and things are looking well for my brother. I think im mentally and physically ready to go back to university but i dont know if ill be accepted and given another chance. I want to go to the same uni i was at and do the exact same course. Im really nervous that theyll not accept me due to what happened when i was there. If i dont get accepted ill be really lost within my life, i dont know what ill do and where im heading. Its been a really depressing year being back at home and doing nothing when i know i couldve been in my second year of uni right now. Id appreciate if someone gave me some advice. thanks
Original post by Aceankidxo
Hey there, I really need some help. In 2016 i completed my A-levels and got into uni. I really loved the course i was on but my personal life got in the way of my studies. My mum had fallen really ill and was in hospital and i was constantly worried because i was far away living in accommodation so i went back home to see her. There was a lot of things going on within my family such as my brother going into foster care because my mum was unable to look after him due to her illness.

These issues affected my work and my attendance got very low. I was lieing to my tutors saying i would do better and attend more lectures but i was just emotionally depressed and had no mental capacity to learn because of my stress. I loved being at uni and having my own room and being independent. I was so motivated and did so well in my first few months of uni, i made a load of new friends and was enjoying my course. i did pretty well on my assignments too. But come around February time these issues messed everything up for me. I tried to remain strong and possitive and wanted to believe id make it through to the next year but i failed. I didn't go to any of my exams, none of my resits and worst thing is, i didn't even tell my tutors anything because, i guess i was trying to appear like i was a good student and got everything together.

After a year, i have got everything together. My mum is better and things are looking well for my brother. I think im mentally and physically ready to go back to university but i dont know if ill be accepted and given another chance. I want to go to the same uni i was at and do the exact same course. Im really nervous that theyll not accept me due to what happened when i was there. If i dont get accepted ill be really lost within my life, i dont know what ill do and where im heading. Its been a really depressing year being back at home and doing nothing when i know i couldve been in my second year of uni right now. Id appreciate if someone gave me some advice. thanks

You need to speak to the university concerned. If you explain the situation and offer to provide evidence if they need it (eg a letter from a social worker who can explain about your brother being fostered/your mum's illness) then I can't see that they would be unreasonable. The registry/student records team or your school/faculty office would be the best place to start - they should know the rules about whether you can come back and how that would work.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
You need to speak to the university concerned. If you explain the situation and offer to provide evidence if they need it (eg a letter from a social worker who can explain about your brother being fostered/your mum's illness) then I can't see that they would be unreasonable. The registry/student records team or your school/faculty office would be the best place to start - they should know the rules about whether you can come back and how that would work.

thanks, i will go to visit my uni tommorow and let them know everything :smile: im just quite a nervous person so im quite anxious about it but i hope that things work out well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending