The Student Room Group

AQA Statistics 1 MS1B 06th June 2018 Unofficial Mark Scheme

Any thoughts on how that went? I thought it was a very hard statistics paper as far as they go.

Let me know what you got for n and w

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It was solid, did any people in year 12 take this exam or only year 13 as they've changed the spec?
Reply 2
I got 70 for n and 16.55 for w
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by T_mcc
I got 70 for n and 16.55 for 2

How on earth did you find n? Was it simultaneous equations?
Reply 4
Think it was only year 13. Thought certain questions were quite hard(didn't eve attempt 3 or 6) but the rest was okay.
Thought the probability was a really nice question! For the binomial... 1. Appropriate with B(20,0.33) 2. Not appropriate as didn’t have a fixed number of trials 3. Appropriate with B(5,0.2)?
Original post by mcoz
Think it was only year 13. Thought certain questions were quite hard(didn't eve attempt 3 or 6) but the rest was okay.

Was this finding the W and finding the N questions?
Reply 7
Original post by Jjohnson919
How on earth did you find n? Was it simultaneous equations?

Yeah the mean and n were unknown you could make 2 equations and take them away from each other
Reply 8
I got w as 23.1
Original post by T_mcc
Yeah the mean and n were unknown you could make 2 equations and take them away from each other

Fml. I was doing this then ran out of time as I came back to it at the end. Surely couple of method marks for finding phi of Z and forming the equations?
Apart from the W and N question can anyone remember if there were any other unusual/hard questions cause realistically as long as you were solid throughout the rest of the paper that’s 7 marks max.
Reply 11
Thought the probability was a really nice question! For the binomial... 1. Appropriate with B(20,0.33) 2. Not appropriate as didn’t have a fixed number of trials 3. Appropriate with B(5,0.2)?

I put that 3 was inappropriate because the highlighters aren’t replaced, so the probability isn’t the same each time you remove one?
Damn
Reply 13
Was this finding the W and finding the N questions?

The one about the weights of the nuts was question 3, but can't remember what question 6 was
Original post by .eloise
I put that 3 was inappropriate because the highlighters aren’t replaced, so the probability isn’t the same each time you remove one?

You’re right. Because one of the conditions of Biniomial Distribitution is that the trials are independent.
i put 3 as appropriate. but i got B (5, 0.02). becuase the probabilty to get yellow out of the 50 was 1/5. so prob to get yellow out of 5 was 1/50
What two reasons did everyone give for Median and Interquartile range being better than Mean and Standard Deviation on the first question? I could only think of the fact there was an extreme value (95).
What two reasons did everyone give for Median and Interquartile range being better than Mean and Standard Deviation on the first question? I could only think of the fact there was an extreme value (95).

dont need all values for first 2
Original post by .eloise

Yeah not constant probability
Original post by 153624978
dont need all values for first 2

But that’s essentially saying the same thing - that it excludes the extreme value?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending