EPQ Ideas Watch

_.evangelin_5
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Has anyone got any ideas for EPQ related to medicine also something that is a controversial subject, not abortion though.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by _.evangelin_5)
Has anyone got any ideas for EPQ related to medicine also something that is a controversial subject, not abortion though.
That is part of the research. Just open your mind and read the papers, news and medical journals. It might be a treatment or it might be about the profession and delivery of medical services. Try not to make the area too general. Make a list of the topics and after about 2 weeks pick your 5 favourites to explore more and then start to see how a plan might work plus what resources there are. Some will not be as promising as you thought so get it down to 2 or 3 and do further research or talk to your tutor.

Fo with the one that interests you has good resources and you have a clear plan that lets you show off your skills of investigation, identifying issues, analysis, selection an evaluation.

It is a mistake imo to choose before you have had a good luck.
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Medicine is a vast subject - if you can narrow it down to 2-3 broad fields (e.g. heart [cardiology] OR gut [gastroenterology] that you have an interest in or something related to health that you have seen in the news or even an illness or situation that a family member or friend has faced, I can certainly point you in the right direction.
littledino1011
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Should the NHS fund IVF?
Sarah_g_24
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Why not uses of stem cells and the debates around the different ways to use them
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
_.evangelin_5
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
That is part of the research. Just open your mind and read the papers, news and medical journals. It might be a treatment or it might be about the profession and delivery of medical services. Try not to make the area too general. Make a list of the topics and after about 2 weeks pick your 5 favourites to explore more and then start to see how a plan might work plus what resources there are. Some will not be as promising as you thought so get it down to 2 or 3 and do further research or talk to your tutor.

Fo with the one that interests you has good resources and you have a clear plan that lets you show off your skills of investigation, identifying issues, analysis, selection an evaluation.

It is a mistake imo to choose before you have had a good luck.
thank you
_.evangelin_5
Rep:
?
(Original post by macpatelgh)
Medicine is a vast subject - if you can narrow it down to 2-3 broad fields (e.g. heart [cardiology] OR gut [gastroenterology] that you have an interest in or something related to health that you have seen in the news or even an illness or situation that a family member or friend has faced, I can certainly point you in the right direction.
I'm interested in subjects like drug/alcohol abuse, should they receive treatment through NHS? or fields like cardiology or research such as genetic research?
thank you
macpatgh-Sheldon
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Ok great stuff! I wo the cardiology prize as med student, and genetics is almost paving the way in medicine today.

Give me a few minutes - I will give you some great ideas for your EPQ - let me think a bit!

Watch this space.
UmamiPiñapple
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Immunisation
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
malkimoo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
embryonic stem cells
macpatgh-Sheldon
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi again,

TSR needs to have facility to continuously save what you type - I typed in 3 paragraphs for you soon after my last post, PC crashed and lost all!

Anyway, I'll try again:-

CARDIOLOGY:
Consider this topic: "The relative merits of exercise electrocardiography testing, coronary arteriography and cardiac magnetic resonance (CMR) imaging as methods to further evaluate diagnosis of angina pectoris".

Ok this sounds a bit complex to you I am sure, BUT:-
a) It is something that is being disputed hotly currently with different viewpoints in UK, USA and developing countries, respectively.
b) I am happy to explain the basics to you: you have probs heard of exercise ECG, where the patient exercises quite intensively on a treadmill with increasing effort and the doctor looks to see if there are changes in the ECG that might indicate coronary artery stenosis; In coronary arteriography, a radio-opaque contrast medium ("dye") is injected intravenously (into a vein) and a special x-ray taken that shows up the blood flowing in the coronary arteries as white (radio-opaque = opaque to x-rays) disclosing any stenosis [narrowing];
The third test is an MRI of the heart. , and shows up precisely which arteries are blocked, but is expensive.
c) I can supply you with a lot of research data and info.
d) Your teachers will not know much about it, so you can get away with minor errors.

ACTUALLY, I MIGHT BE GETTING CARRIED AWAY WITH MY SHELDON-NESS (!); perhaps this might be a bit advanced at your level. Let me think of an alternative that is less technical, although don't discard the above completely.
macpatgh-Sheldon
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
BTW thanks so much for the rep - you gave it to me before I even did what I promised - nice of you!

GENETICS:

"Personalized medicine: will knowing one's complete genome be the future of disease prevention and treatment?"

Name:  Med Gen bk Ch14 Scrsht 2.png
Views: 29
Size:  183.4 KB
Attached files
_.evangelin_5
Rep:
?
(Original post by macpatelgh)
BTW thanks so much for the rep - you gave it to me before I even did what I promised - nice of you!

GENETICS:

"Personalized medicine: will knowing one's complete genome be the future of disease prevention and treatment?"

Name:  Med Gen bk Ch14 Scrsht 2.png
Views: 29
Size:  183.4 KB
Thank you very much for this, it has helped 😁
macpatgh-Sheldon
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by _.evangelin_5)
Thank you very much for this, it has helped 😁
_.evangelin_5

Chk PM
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (44)
60.27%
No (29)
39.73%

Watched Threads