The Student Room Group

Vauxhall Corsa....

Hi! Im going to view a Vauxhall Corsa tomorrow, and wanted to know if there is anything regarding the car I should specifically watch out for? Or any genaral questions to ask about the car?...etc

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
first question - what reg is it? different models/series have different faults.
second - do you enjoy driving? if so say goodbye to that in a corsa - Can't stand driving those things *shudder*
Reply 2
Watch out for the car. They are far from being good cars.
Theft appeal is also high with corsas.. due to the apparent ease of actually stealing them.
Reply 3
The car is a 2000 plate(W reg), and i thought corsa are suppose to be nice cars to drive, especially for first time drivers.
Reply 4
Funguy
The car is a 2000 plate(W reg), and i thought corsa are suppose to be nice cars to drive, especially for first time drivers.

They are easy cars to drive for first time drivers. They are anything but nice cars to drive.
Reply 5
hmmm.. early model Corsa C - make sure any recalls have been carried out, as early cars are often subject to recalls, this goes for any manufacturer:

Corsas are not NICE cars to drive they are EASY cars to drive. they are however (IMO) devoid of any feel, feedback, sense of actually driving a car rather than pointing it in the right direction etc.

Reported faults include: (though bear in mind the failure rate is fairly low considering the volume sold, but watch out for these faults when looking at/testing the car)

Issues apparantly with steering racks and bearings (which will cost alot of ££ to replace)
Timing belt and tensioner changes re-scheduled from 80,000 miles to 40,000 miles on the few remaining engines that have them.

Waterpumps of 1.4 16v belt cam engines can also seize

here's a list of recalls on the corsa C: 30/4/01: Replace front passenger airbag control unit so it interacts properly with child safety cradle 'smart' deactivation function. 19/12/2001: Recall of 8,662 Corsa three and five door 2002 models sold in UK since September 2001 to check front seat adjustment locking mechanism for fatigue and possible wear. Replace if necessary. w/e 6/1/2002: Recall announced in Germany for 1.7di and 1.7dti due to a battery cable fault. May 2006 recall to check timing chains of 1.0 litre, 1.2 and 1.4 Twinport engines. Failures thought to be due to dirty oil from 20,000 mile oil changes. March 2006: Water ingress into abs wiring may cause a short circuit and a fire. October 2006: recall over possible fault with wiring looms of diesels. Many cars fitted with new looms.
Reply 6
Corsas have always been reasonably easy to drive compared to other superminis. But not necessarily fun. Which shape is the 2000 one? 1 or 2.

1)

2)

If the Corsa you're looking at is the first one, avoid it like the plague. They were always pretty dated and are nowadays downright primitive. Horrid to drive and not especially ease compared to more modern offerings.
Reply 7
Some useful info, well appreciated. The shape that i am pllaning to buy is the shape 1 from above. The 2nd shape is the newer shape, which i think are the 2001 plate corsa's...ther a little out of my budget (lol). However, they do look alot more better then the old shape!
Reply 8
I drive a Corsa B 1.4 5 door (shape 1) regularly, they're really worth avoiding, not good by modern standards.
Positive points:
+ Reliable, one I drive is 13 years old, 100,000 miles and still on the original clutch.
+ Cheap and fairly simple to service, parts are easily available. The interior is easy to remove for any modifications, repairs, etc.
+ Narrow and fairly short, good on narrow country lanes and in tight spaces
+ Predictable, doesn't spring any unpleasant surprises, it's crap and it lets you know it.
+ Fairly roomy, not left wanting for space.

Negative points:
- Poor ride quality, nowhere near up to scratch, seriously wearing on long journeys
- Poor turning circle, easier to park a bus.
- Horrible interior, not especially comfortable seats and a cheap dashboard.
- Driving position isn't perfect for me, on long journeys an ache in my right leg develops & back pain sometimes.
- Very easy to break into, bang against the door with sufficient force and it'll unlatch. The transponder fitted to many Corsas stops theives getting the car started but doesn't stop them ruining the ignition trying.
- Gearbox is narrow and indecisive (looks like it's in neutral when it's in gear).
- The older 1.4 8v engine is dated and runs out of puff on hills.
- Boot isn't huge, but it's a small car so that's to be expected.
- Vauxhall were very stingy with kit on many models, a cigarette lighter was an optional extra on the one I drive. As was electric windows, power steering & central locking. They might have been more generous in the last few models.
- Black Plastic wheel arch trim fades with age on most models making them look scruffy
- 5 door features quite a few blindspots. The narrowness and high sided nature makes it harder to park than you'd expect. Mirrors are less useful than one might wish.

Other points:

It has next to no sound proofing. Which means on motorway journeys you won't be able to speak to anyone in the back and will find it hard to speak to someone next to you. On the plus side you will hear as well as see the inevitable bus trying to sideswipe you.
Reply 9
oh. you're buying a late Corsa B not an early corsa C. avoid it like that girl in the uni bar who gave your flatmate the uncomfortable itch (the ride in the corsa would be even worse than with the slag too!)
Reply 10
I got an R Reg Corsa with NO POWER STEERING and I love it! I drove several friends/relatives cars and I just always feel more comfortable in my Corsa (although a bit slow :frown: )
Reply 11
ma2k5
I got an R Reg Corsa with NO POWER STEERING and I love it! I drove several friends/relatives cars and I just always feel more comfortable in my Corsa (although a bit slow :frown: )

Of course you'd feel more comfortable in your corsa. It's what you're used to.. :rolleyes:
Reply 12
Think of it this way. When you start out driving you just want a car that works, the corsa is a fun, easy, good looking car to drive for the running costs

Other people on here are able to be more fussy with their cars as they probably get various discounts from NCB and older age and maybe have more money to play with. The corsa moves doesn't it?! It gets from A to B cheaply and effectivly, ideal first car.
I've had a 1ltr 2000 Corsa Club for a year now, no major probs apart from a couple of easy to replace bulbs. Also safe cars for the price too! 3* NCAP?
Reply 13
Funguy
Some useful info, well appreciated. The shape that i am pllaning to buy is the shape 1 from above. The 2nd shape is the newer shape, which i think are the 2001 plate corsa's...ther a little out of my budget (lol). However, they do look alot more better then the old shape!

What's your budget? Then people on here might be able to suggest an alternative...
i have been driving for 1 year now. i bought a 1.2L W reg vauxhall corsa with 56k miles. as far as a 1st car goes its pretty good. however now that ive done 8k miles in it, i have outgrown it. it is slow, it is small and cramped, and it has cost me over £300 in new sensors. apparently vauxhall sensors 'go' quite a lot. ive had to have 4 replaced because when you put your foot down, nothing happens, if anything the car slows down for 5 seconds or so. so after changing 4 problematic sensors the problem is still there.

so in the short term its ok. but you wont want it for very long afterwards.
Reply 15
I've driven a lot of cars and the worst one by far was a Corsa B. I just never liked the gear linkage on them, they always seemed vague and the steering has no feel at all.

Dan what sensors are you on about? There are loads and they shouldn't go any more than any other car.

It sounds like your garage is guilty of chronic mis-diagnoses.

Anyway the Corsa B is based on the same platform as the 1983 Nova and it shows.
Reply 16
Throwback
What's your budget? Then people on here might be able to suggest an alternative...

Well my budget is approximately 1500 pound. Although my dad wouldnt really approve of getting a crappy (B) Corsa for more than 1000 pound.

Anyway i went to see the Corsa that i was on about originally. Although it is a 2000 (W reg), it turned out to be really crap! It did not have any electric windows, power steering and was generally not what i expected. Also it made this distinctive ticking sound, the owner apparently could not hear it. Therefore, it was basically a waste of a journey.
Reply 17
jam_man
Think of it this way. When you start out driving you just want a car that works, the corsa is a fun, easy, good looking car to drive for the running costs

Other people on here are able to be more fussy with their cars as they probably get various discounts from NCB and older age and maybe have more money to play with. The corsa moves doesn't it?! It gets from A to B cheaply and effectivly, ideal first car.
I've had a 1ltr 2000 Corsa Club for a year now, no major probs apart from a couple of easy to replace bulbs. Also safe cars for the price too! 3* NCAP?

Hear hear.

The corsa is a saint. I drive my mums and it is an absolute godsend. It is reliable and cheap. It never has any problems.

Seriously, if you're gonna be all fussy about interior and how the gearstick looks, then you may as well have a budget of around £20k at least. You get what you pay for, and if you're on a low budget, a corsa is ideal.

I have to agree with a couple of comments above though, the gear stick can look like it's in neutral, sometimes at traffic lights i have to re-put it into 1st to make sure. Also it can get a bit stiff sometimes as well. And also someone said about their right leg hurting? I thought that was just me, but i get that as well. The top of my knee starts aching. It's weird. I dunno why.

But yea, no general advice about what to ask but i think it's a good car.
Reply 18
Fiesta Mk4/5 1.25. Basically any from 1997-2002ish. I think it looks less dated than the Corsa on the exterior, and although I haven't driven a Corsa before I drove a 2001 Fiesta for a year and really enjoyed it as a first car. The other plus point is that the paintwork tends to stay a similar colour to that which it was originally given! I'd be impressed if you could find a large proportion of red Corsa B's which aren't now pink! Saw a faded 2004 Corsa the other day, wasn't really sure how this had happened so soon though..?

Anyway, I don't think you can go far wrong if you find a good old Fiesta - Zetec/Ghia/Ghia X have better spec I think, so you could get alloys/nicer seats/CD player/electrics etc. The 1.3i engine might be worth looking at too - it has similar performance to the 1.25, but it's less refined and not so modern (although should be cheap if it needs repairing at any point).
Reply 19
The great thing about the Endura engine which I know I endlessly bank on about but its a simple poshrod cast iron block. Because the headgasket is bonding iron with iron (not iron to alloy like a lot of cars) they tend to go a lot less (I don;t know why this is the case). Also the camshaft is chain driven so you don't have to worry about that and a new engine costs what a cam belt replacement costs on a lot more modern engines anyway!

The big problem is the Endura's sound noisy, mine is in mechanically good condition but it still sounds noisy.

The gearbox linkage, handling and safety is so much better than the Corsa B, but the Corsa is roomier.

Also your budget might be able to buy a Punto MK2, with good service history these can be very reliable.

I would avoid the 106/Saxo as they are too old to be worth considering now in terms of design and safety. A post 2001 Clio might be worth considering but out of your budget :frown:

I have the Ghia and for £850 97 R got a car with 62,000 miles, full service history and the following spec:-
Electric windows
Power steering
Electric seats
Power mirrors
Wooden dashboard
Remote central locking
Digital thermometer and ice warning system
14" Alloys with low profile tryes
Airbag
Rev counter
Rear head rests
and a lot lot more...

The post 98 Ghia's also have aircon as standard are can be had for less than 1500.

Now think with Corsa B's you don't even get airbags as standard.

The same as the 206 also out of your budget. You might want to look at the 306 1.9TD as insurance on these is dirt cheap.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending