What makes someone English?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Cubone-r)
I think when someone's English, Scottish, Welsh etc it means that they're born there and have parents from there, whereas British is broader and refers more to the culture itself. Neither of my parents are from the UK, but I am born in England. I would describe myself as being British and also of my parent's nationalities, but not English.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Dheorl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Being from England. Someone is British if they're from Britain. Just in the same way someone from Finland is Finish. Surely this is a fairly simple concept to grasp?
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thought I'd start a discussion...
:rofl:

and England is a part of Britain, which the speaker should specify apart from Scotland, Ireland, Wales, etc. by saying "this" or "they" is English.

Also it's your blood. DO not call yourself English if you're British but Scottish, or Polish, or Jamaican or Pakistani. You are British, not English. Stormzy is not English, he is British, for example.

Do not call yourself English if you simply speak English. Floyd Mayweather is not English though he speaks English, for example.
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
:rofl:

and England is a part of Britain, which the speaker should specify apart from Scotland, Ireland, Wales, etc. by saying "this" or "they" is English.

Also it's your blood. DO not call yourself English if you're British but Scottish, or Polish, or Jamaican or Pakistani. You are British, not English. Stormzy is not English, he is British, for example.

Do not call yourself English if you simply speak English. Floyd Mayweather is not English though he speaks English, for example.
Sick banta.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sick banta.
Boiiiii dont you play with me. That's the truth. What's your definition of ENGLISH then??
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
All English people are British but not all British people are English
exactly bruh
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
British = Encompasses anyone with citizenship to the UK I guess, this encompasses nations in the UK spanning England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland respectively.

English = A background specifically from the nation of England, ancestral history, etc, your parents and their parents being from here or whatever, all English people are British remember, however not all British people are English. Be it due to the fact they are from the other nations of the UK, or they inhabit England, and have citizenship (making them British), but their background suggests they are from somewhere else.

For instance myself: I am British, I live in England, I speak English, however I am not English, as my background is from elsewhere.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's a good question. I don't really feel English. I feel British and European and despite being a Yorkshireman associate myself with being a Mancuian even though I actually live in Stockport but and whole-heartedly sign up to being a Stopfordian.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
English is somebody who is born and lives In England. British is somebody from any one of the countries of the United Kingdom.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
18.82%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
10.06%
No I am happy with my course choice (397)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (98)
14.08%

Watched Threads