Do I need to do Chemistry for Biomedical Science into Dentistry?

Watch
santiago4367
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I am in September going to apply to a new college to retake year 12. I would like to initially do Dentistry but I am going to go through the Biomedical Route and apply as a postgraduate. I will be doing Biology, Psychology and Sociology this September hopefully.

But my question is do I need to do Chemistry instead of Psychology as the second science or can I stay with Psychology as most universities accept it as a second science with Biology? I find Chemistry very difficult but I haven't done it at A-level and would much rather do Psychology. Will doing Psychology deter universities from letting me do Biomedical science and Dentistry and favour chemistry instead?

Thank You
GLeigh
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’m currently a biomedical science student who got into uni without chemistry.
It really depends on how which uni you apply for, polytechnics tend to be more lenient compared to the traditional universities.
I’m going to be applying for grad level dentistry next year so I’ve contacted a few uni’s regarding there entry requirements.
Here are a few things I’ve learned!
- The university from which you get your biomedical science degree is not important when applying for grad dentistry. They do not care if you came from a traditional uni or from a polytechnic.
- Some unis (Kings College London and aberdeen) do not care what a-level grades you achieved or what topics they were in when you apply for Grad dentistry.
-Other uni’s (Leeds, Liverpool etc) look at Alevel grades aswell as the degree you achieved. These grades are usually B grade upwards.
- Regarding which subjects you should choose, each uni differs on their requirements, but remember it’s very hard to do an Alevel in a topic you don’t enjoy so I wouldn’t do chem if you don’t enjoy it!
Let me know if you have anymore q’s
santiago4367
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by GLeigh)
I’m currently a biomedical science student who got into uni without chemistry.
It really depends on how which uni you apply for, polytechnics tend to be more lenient compared to the traditional universities.
I’m going to be applying for grad level dentistry next year so I’ve contacted a few uni’s regarding there entry requirements.
Here are a few things I’ve learned!
- The university from which you get your biomedical science degree is not important when applying for grad dentistry. They do not care if you came from a traditional uni or from a polytechnic.
- Some unis (Kings College London and aberdeen) do not care what a-level grades you achieved or what topics they were in when you apply for Grad dentistry.
-Other uni’s (Leeds, Liverpool etc) look at Alevel grades aswell as the degree you achieved. These grades are usually B grade upwards.
- Regarding which subjects you should choose, each uni differs on their requirements, but remember it’s very hard to do an Alevel in a topic you don’t enjoy so I wouldn’t do chem if you don’t enjoy it!
Let me know if you have anymore q’s
Thank you, your reply has helped me. Just wondering, what university did you study biomedical science at and where are you planning to study Dentistry.
britishvip
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Really pretty much all universities expect you to have an a level in chemistry, im year 13 and have applied for biochemistry and trust me when i joined college the last thing i wanted to do was chemistry but i did it because i knew i had to and is the best decision i love chemistry now it is much better at a level than gcse, so take it and see what you think you can always drop! however if you do drop chemistry then this will seriously hinder your application and my advice for you is to drop sociology and do psychology, biology and chemistry and getting into uni will be much easier!
GLeigh
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by santiago4367)
Thank you, your reply has helped me. Just wondering, what university did you study biomedical science at and where are you planning to study Dentistry.
I study BMS at Sheffield Hallam. It certainly wasn’t my first choice when initially applying for university but it’s worked out really well and like i mentioned earlier, your choice of uni becomes irrelevant when applying for grad courses. I even spoke to an admissions tutor at Oxford University who said that applicants for their masters courses etc aren’t judged on their initial university so I’d focus more on your grades than the actual uni itself

My first choice for Dentistry would probably be Kings London. Mainly because of the city but also because the teaching is done to a really high standard!
Sheffield Hallam University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by santiago4367)
Hi, I am in September going to apply to a new college to retake year 12. I would like to initially do Dentistry but I am going to go through the Biomedical Route and apply as a postgraduate. I will be doing Biology, Psychology and Sociology this September hopefully.

But my question is do I need to do Chemistry instead of Psychology as the second science or can I stay with Psychology as most universities accept it as a second science with Biology? I find Chemistry very difficult but I haven't done it at A-level and would much rather do Psychology. Will doing Psychology deter universities from letting me do Biomedical science and Dentistry and favour chemistry instead?

Thank You
Hi santiago4367

Good luck with starting at your new college!

Would like me to find out whether you need Chemistry as an entry requirement for Biomedical sciences at Sheffield Hallam?

Just so I understand are you looking to study Biomedical science as an undergraduate course and then Dentistry as a postgraduate course?

Thanks and speak soon,
Bridget
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (73)
27.86%
No - I have already returned home (30)
11.45%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.61%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.69%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.39%

Watched Threads