Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone doing A Level English Language with Edexcel? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've looked everywhere for threads on people doing English Language on the Edexcel exam board, purpose being that we can discuss specific things that the exam board asks from us and how the exams went, although I've had no look! I've recently taken my AS exam for Language - which I had mixed thoughts on, although Context and Identity was a good paper! Let me know if you're on Edexcel too, and I'd love to make a study group (both AS and A-Level students) where we can discuss examinations, give advice to one another etc.

Thanks!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlotteeastick)
    I've looked everywhere for threads on people doing English Language on the Edexcel exam board, purpose being that we can discuss specific things that the exam board asks from us and how the exams went, although I've had no look! I've recently taken my AS exam for Language - which I had mixed thoughts on, although Context and Identity was a good paper! Let me know if you're on Edexcel too, and I'd love to make a study group (both AS and A-Level students) where we can discuss examinations, give advice to one another etc.

Thanks!
    I do A Level English Language with Edexcel - just done my Paper 1 (Language Variation) today and thought it went well! Let me know if I can help with anything

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Nice to know your also studying English Language AS Edexcel. I’m an A Level Student and sat Paper 1 today: Langauge Change Over Time. Overall, the paper was really interesting with section A having 2 texts from an online blog one being multimodal whilst the other was spoken (transcript).

Section B: was an early text from 1500 and a modern text from 2016 about sea travel. I’m looking forward to sitting Child Language on Friday.

ReputationRep:
    Hello to you both! I'm so glad to hear that your exam went well!! What kind of topics do you cover for Language Variation? It is like a continuation of Language and Identity in a way? I don't know about you, but I find English Language so incredibly interesting! My plan is to continue it at Uni combined with TESOL

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I do A-Level English Lang on Edexcel.
    Just done my first A2 exam today! It's good to finally find people doing the edexcel spec, because hardly any schools do it!

ReputationRep:
    How did your exam go? I'm honestly surprised at how little people do Language on Edexcel! Much prefer it over AQA or OCR though! Good luck with Child Lang on Friday!

ReputationRep:
    How did your exam go? I'm honestly surprised at how little people do Language on Edexcel! Much prefer it over AQA or OCR though! Good luck with Child Lang on Friday!
    Thank you!
    I think it went okay, although I definitely rushed it a little! The texts were really rich with content and if the exam was longer I'd have definitely been able to get tonnes of good points.

How have you found the course at AS? I personally find the A2 content a lot more interesting than last year's.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh that's good! I'm sure you've done amazing! I've really enjoyed the course so far - my teacher is so lovely and I have honestly enjoyed every minute of it! I also do English Lit and Media, but Language is by far my fav! I did prefer learning about Child Lang over Context and Identity, some parts have been more interesting than others, but I'm looking forward to the A2 syllabus and the joys of A-levels and a lot more hard work😅😴

ReputationRep:
    Ooh that's good! I'm sure you've done amazing! I've really enjoyed the course so far - my teacher is so lovely and I have honestly enjoyed every minute of it! I also do English Lit and Media, but Language is by far my fav! I did prefer learning about Child Lang over Context and Identity, some parts have been more interesting than others, but I'm looking forward to the A2 syllabus and the joys of A-levels and a lot more hard work😅😴
    I've done media as well!
    And yes, child language is definitely my favourite part of the course! I absolutely love learning all the theories for it and stuff like that!

ReputationRep:
    Hello to you both! I'm so glad to hear that your exam went well!! What kind of topics do you cover for Language Variation? It is like a continuation of Language and Identity in a way? I don't know about you, but I find English Language so incredibly interesting! My plan is to continue it at Uni combined with TESOL
    Language and identity is mainly covered in Paper 3 Section A but also relevant for paper 1 section A. For language variation you look at how language has changed over time and contextual factors such as William Caxtons printing press and standardisation!

ReputationRep:
    For A2 Child Language is an 1 Hr exam, so it’s much easier to annotate the text and use relevant theorists. But analyse the text correctly whether the transcript is spoken or is the text written (produced in school) and how child’s language has developed from the ages of 5-7 or how do the parents support development.

I use wider resources to help me with A2 Child Language, for example the AQA questions on Child Language are a great starting point and are really helpful to use theory and analyse the text.

ReputationRep:
    nah but my prayers are with you

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I am an AS student at the moment, however I am struggling to find good revision techniques for my upcoming mocks. Can you briefly describe how you revised please?

Also, could you please suggest revision books that you find beneficial?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by U17480)
    Hey!

Nice to know your also studying English Language AS Edexcel. I’m an A Level Student and sat Paper 1 today: Langauge Change Over Time. Overall, the paper was really interesting with section A having 2 texts from an online blog one being multimodal whilst the other was spoken (transcript).

Section B: was an early text from 1500 and a modern text from 2016 about sea travel. I’m looking forward to sitting Child Language on Friday.
    Hello
    I am an AS student at the moment, however I am struggling to find good revision techniques for my upcoming mocks. Can you briefly describe how you revised please?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I made flash cards for the majority of the context, as well as for grammar, and I tested myself on the, quite regularly. Using prezi and Get Revising really helped me too. A good book that I've been using is the Revision Express one from Pearson

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex123_)
    Hello

Thank you
    Hello Alex, as an AS it’s important that you revise all the key terminology like Mode, function, field and audience. I mainly used the notes I made in class and resources from the Edexcel website, like the pre release material and past papers.

I revised by re writing my notes and applying theory to questions I’d answer. The identity part of AS Language comes up in A2 language Papee 1 so what you do now in the AS can be applied in section A paper 1 A2. Best of luck in your AS mocks and a grade A is achievable at AS for English!

ReputationRep:
    Just sat Paper 2 child language... how did everyone find it?
    I was expecting a written question instead of a transcript because they've never done a written one before for A2, but I think it went quite well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameliabio)
    Just sat Paper 2 child language... how did everyone find it?
    I was expecting a written question instead of a transcript because they've never done a written one before for A2, but I think it went quite well!
    I also sat paper 2!!!

There was so much to talk about in such little time, had to bullet point my answers towards the end. 4 written texts from Thomas aged 5 years and 5 months to 6 years and 4 months.
    Examiner was looking: how does use of literacy show writing development from text A to D.

Text A-B was Thomas writing in School while Text C-D where at the comfort at his own home and was familiar with surroundings and use of environmental print.

Overall that paper was great!

ReputationRep:
    I also answered the question in this way but I think it was after how his literacy development showed his ability to write to different functions, and I have since been panicking over the fact that I haven't answered the question properly. This has only occurred to me since leaving the exam and I had previously thought it went really well :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inamuddle)
    I also answered the question in this way but I think it was after how his literacy development showed his ability to write to different functions, and I have since been panicking over the fact that I haven't answered the question properly. This has only occurred to me since leaving the exam and I had previously thought it went really well :/
    Yeah. I totally understand. I think the examiner was looking for how does Thomas adapt his writing style, like in text a and b there was a lack of punctuation and random capitalisation. Directionality and linearity improves by text C to D with some punctuation. Also mention what stage he was on Krolls and Rotherys.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 9, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.