Turn on thread page Beta

Should films with smoking scenes be restricted? watch

Announcements

Smoking scenes in films should be given an 18 certificate according to a health campaign group.

SmokeFree Liverpool told the BBC that an adult rating on movies depicting smoking will reduce the number of young people lighting up.

The push which has been backed by the city council comes amid research showing young people pick up the bad habit from watching films containing smoking.

However, the British Board of Film Classification say smoking and alcohol use are already taken into consideration when rating a film.

What is your reaction to the proposals? Are people influenced by watching smoking scenes in films? **

Read the full story (on the BBC website)

Click here if you have any other story ideas (on the BBC website)

ReputationRep:
    Absolute rubbish, and it won't happen. A film with smoking scenes should be a PG, or 12 at the most. Children see adults, or even other children, smoking in the streets every day, it's no different watching someone in a film smoke.

Hm, or maybe Peter Pan should be an 18 too? It could stop children jumping out of their window thinking they can fly.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to ask what they were smoking when they came up with that one, but having thought about it, they're probably just idiots.

ReputationRep:
    Rubbish. It won't stop anything. They see people smoking all the time, why would stopping them seeing it in films make a difference

ReputationRep:
    I think that literature by groups who advocate such nonsense should be given a certificate of restriction.

ReputationRep:
    I'm against censorship in all forms and this is just ridiculous. On the otherhand I'm always wary of the press whipping things up.

ReputationRep:
    wouldnt make the slightest difference

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:

Just think, ghostbusters would be an 18!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    I was going to ask what they were smoking when they came up with that one, but having thought about it, they're probably just idiots.
    Post of the week there.

Once again, I want to know why the BBC are giving a platform to the idiotic views of these bizarre groups.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I think that is ridiculous. Everyone comes across people smoking in real life, so seeing in films won't make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    No, Keep smoking in.

ReputationRep:
    What a ****ing retarded thing to say.

It's illegal to have sex on the street - so that should be an 18.

It's illegal to take drugs on the street - so that should be an 18.

It's illegal to swear profusely and persistantly on the street - which is why films with excessive swearing are an 18, and those with some, but not much, are a 15, and why those that have rare useage of mild language are a 12.

SMOKING?!?! You can smoke on the street, it isn't illegal!! A five year old can walk past and see you smoking, many do!! If I stripped off in front of the five year old, or swore at it, you could arrest me - you can't arrest me for smoking in front of it - why make it an 18?? OMG stupid stupid stupid!!

ReputationRep:
    18 is just far too far. Even the most illiberal, conservative side of me thinks that. Anyway, it all depends how the smoking is depicted. I'd say a 12, maximum.

ReputationRep:
    What utter rubbish.

The Government are trying to "shield" young people from smoking - they cannot do this. Young people will still see people on the steet having a smoke, they will see it on television, they will read about in books.

Restricting films for this reason is absolutely pathetic.

:mad:

ReputationRep:
    So children are only going to find smoking in films? I wish these people would get a grip at times - smoking cannot be put in the same league as sex or violence because it is far more commonplace.

Yes, role model-type characters who smoke may be idolised somewhat, but it should then be the responsibility of the parent to prevent their children from watching it in the first place.

To me this seems like a desperate stab in the dark to keep statistics down.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with it actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milliondollarcorpse)
    Absolute rubbish, and it won't happen. A film with smoking scenes should be a PG, or 12 at the most. Children see adults, or even other children, smoking in the streets every day, it's no different watching someone in a film smoke.

Hm, or maybe Peter Pan should be an 18 too? It could stop children jumping out of their window thinking they can fly.
    Nothing more to add. Bedazzling.

ReputationRep:
    No. In fact, I'll applaud a film with smoking in it.

Whatever happened to people taking responsibility for themselves. Its up to them if they smoke or not.

I dont smoke myself, but the whole cant smoke/drink/eat/do this agenda is grating on me.

*Goes for kebab with pint in one hand and fag in the other, whilst having unprotected sex*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrMatthewJamesEyre)
    *Goes for kebab with pint in one hand and fag in the other, whilst having unprotected sex*

Lol, awesome.

ReputationRep:
    I am against censorship.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.