The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Alex L
Rubbish. It won't stop anything. They see people smoking all the time, why would stopping them seeing it in films make a difference

Agree. It wont work that way anyway. If they want to restrict in movies,
how about the other media. As in magazines billboard etc.??

:tsr2:
This is quite stupid........we have movies with smoking scenes squared out here in SL, and, believe me, ITS TERRIBLE and stupid! Frankly, I actually realise that they're smoking only when they censor it.....its not like smoking scenes are new or anything, they've been here for so many years so I don't think its gonna make a big difference banning it now, they should've done it years ago!
This makes me angry, whoever thought of this and whoever agrees with this is a moron.

It's sad to see political correctness becoming a new story every bloody day.
Reply 23
I actually was watching one of those music video channels the other day and they were showing the final song in Grease... you know where Sandy's all dressed up... anyway, in the beginning of the scene she's meant to be smoking but it was completely blurred out...

I was outraged (unfortunately there was no one else in the room for me to express my anger to however, hence why I am telling you this story now! :P) for goodness sake, it's just a cigarette! If kids can't cope with watching that without having the urge to light up then we all have some very serious problems...
Reply 24
Shocking proposal,takes away from the credibility of the film at times if the characters don't smoke.
Reply 25
I agree with some of you.
Restricting films with smoking films will not stop the youth from smoking.
If we ban sex films, will it stop the youth from having sex and therefore, can teenage prenancy be reduced???

The more we restricted, the more the youth will want to buy tobaco
Are people influenced by watching smoking scenes in films?

If i see someone on screen light up , i get an urge to smoke it would help alot if they didnt do it unless it was necessary. How are film makers going to miss out?
Jack Sparrow
Are people influenced by watching smoking scenes in films?

If i see someone on screen light up , i get an urge to smoke it would help alot if they didnt do it unless it was necessary. How are film makers going to miss out?

That's your problem. Whenever I see the colour pink I get an urge to bludgeon small children to death. Pls ban pink, I mean nobody would miss out?
Bubblebee
That's your problem. Whenever I see the colour pink I get an urge to bludgeon small children to death. Pls ban pink, I mean nobody would miss out?

Seriously your telling me you would miss out if people were smoking on screen?

Smoking is a killer i lost one of my family members due to lung cancer , if children dont see it on the screen and its behind counters , they will be less likely to smoke.

"I see the colour pink I get an urge to bludgeon small children to death. Pls ban pink"
You talk about killing children? This is very mature mate.
Yes it would bother me. It would bother me because smoking isn't illeagal, there is no proof that people seeing films containing smoking cause kids to light up, and that if there is anyone who actually would get influenced by that I personally think it's better for society for them to die young rather than the world becoming overpopulated by yet more idiots.
Reply 30
Jack Sparrow
Seriously your telling me you would miss out if people were smoking on screen?

Smoking is a killer i lost one of my family members due to lung cancer , if children dont see it on the screen and its behind counters , they will be less likely to smoke.

"I see the colour pink I get an urge to bludgeon small children to death. Pls ban pink"
You talk about killing children? This is very mature mate.

So what's the next logic step - banning drug use on the screen?

What will happen to Gangster movies then?
Ban guns on screen, ban violence, ban showing people eating fatty foods, ban showing people doing ANYTHING!
izaldo
So what's the next logic step - banning drug use on the screen?

What will happen to Gangster movies then?

When did i say we should ban smoking on screen ? I just suggested that film makers should try and not use smoking scenes unless they are "really" necessary.
Imagine being 15 years old and just because the film had one smoking scene it was classed as an 18 and you couldn't get in.

Get a grip, a load of utter tosh.

If it makes you feel like lighting up then cry me a river.
Reply 34
Jack Sparrow
When did i say we should ban smoking on screen ? I just suggested that film makers should try and not use smoking scenes unless they are "really" necessary.

Define really necessary? Is the violence in star wars REALLY necessary. No. But it's entertaining.

Can't abide this kind of censorship.
Yes, restrictions should be put in place. It's the same as showing someone smoking cannabis or something of the like. But the restrictions shouldn't be extreme - a movie with one smoking scene shouldn't get an 18 rating or something ridiculous. But it should contribute to the rating. Maybe having smoking in a movie could make it receive a minimum rating of a 12? Stop the little kiddies getting influenced anyway, and it's not stupidly restrictive.
How many kids films do you see with smoking in anyway? Jesus, it's not like Bambi just stops in the forest to spark one up!
Reply 37
Who on earth would watch a film with smoking in and think 'that looks cool, I'd love to try it.'? :rolleyes:
oh christ, dot cotton better get the nicotine patches out...
Idiot idea. It's insane. I insist it is.

Digression for alliteration, but it is.

Okay give these 18 certificates. But give all the rest the same.

Any film involving drinking
Any film with a car chase in it
Any film with a dog being booted over a fence slapstick or not
Any film with well anything that idiot minds can get hold of and turn into something they choose to do, either that or perhaps these people should quit whinging and let the people who 'choose' and 'want' to do it, do it. And those that don't to not and perhaps do something to ensure they aren't effected by it... e.g. politely ask bloke to smoke away from them??? --- instead of blaming it on movies. You telling me people smoke because they do it in films? BS - Just a thought.

Sorry OP I'm not attacking you lol, I'm ranting :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending