The Student Room Group

Vegans on abortion

Despite having opinions of both things in the title I’m not looking for a debate in this instance. I’m curious as to what vegans on here think about abortion. I would have thought if you can’t eat a chicken egg you wouldn’t really be in favour of killing a foetus but I’m interested to see what other people think.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Underscore__
Despite having opinions of both things in the title I’m not looking for a debate in this instance. I’m curious as to what vegans on here think about abortion. I would have thought if you can’t eat a chicken egg you wouldn’t really be in favour of killing a foetus but I’m interested to see what other people think.

not really the same thing lmao but I was vegetarian for 2 years and I’ve never ever supported anything except pro-choice

Abortion all comes down to when you believe that little cluster of cells becomes a human life. If a vegan believes life begins after 24 weeks, for example, then they'll have no moral problem aborting the foetus before that.
Reply 3
I've been vegan for a few years - pro choice all the way. No suffering takes place for the foetus so all good 👍
Original post by Oli46377
I've been vegan for a few years - pro choice all the way. No suffering takes place for the foetus so all good 👍

So surely if chickens were treated well then eggs would be okay too?
Original post by Cubone-r
Abortion all comes down to when you believe that little cluster of cells becomes a human life. If a vegan believes life begins after 24 weeks, for example, then they'll have no moral problem aborting the foetus before that.

But then why would they have a moral problem eating an egg?
Good point, I've never thought of that before.
It will be interesting to see their answers.
I'm pretty sure 99.99% of vegans are pro-abortion because they are almost always leftist liberals.

I'm a carnivore and vehemently anti-abortion but thought I'd weigh in on the matter as this is an obvious point.
Reply 8

Well they don't count as alive so I guess it's alright to eat.
i'm not a vegan but i think they don't eat eggs to reduce demand for eggs, so less chickens will be bred to suffer in poor environments to produce eggs to sell. It's not eating the egg itself (which is unfertilised anyway so not comparable to a human embryo), it's just about the ethics of egg production
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Imperial Briton
I'm pretty sure 99.99% of vegans are pro-abortion because they are almost always leftist liberals.

I'm a carnivore and vehemently anti-abortion but thought I'd weigh in on the matter as this is an obvious point.

I’d generally make the same stereotype of vegans, my question was more aimed at understanding their justification/seeing if my stereotype is wrong
Original post by birthdefect
not really the same thing lmao but I was vegetarian for 2 years and I’ve never ever supported anything except pro-choice

Why is it not the same? An egg is essentially an unborn, developing chicken and a foetus is an unborn developing human.
Reply 12
I’m vegan and pro-choice, it’s not the same as we don’t eat unfertilised human eggs 🤢 and we don’t eat eggs more for ethical reasons than the product itself. I wouldn’t myself eat an egg again even from a happy chicken as they gross me out now.
Why is it not the same? An egg is essentially an unborn, developing chicken and a foetus is an unborn developing human.

...no ? Chicken egg is unfertilised. It would be comparable to a human...egg. Not a foetus/ embryo.
(Irrelevant but I do think there is a dish from the Philippines containing chicken foetus. But that’s not your standard egg)
Original post by Oli46377

the way animals are killed is with minimal suffering. Your point is extremely flawed
Original post by gomgossa
...no ? Chicken egg is unfertilised. It would be comparable to a human...egg. Not a foetus/ embryo.
(Irrelevant but I do think there is a dish from the Philippines containing chicken foetus. But that’s not your standard egg)

So the chicken egg is unfertilized but the human egg is fertilized and a growing foetus/baby so surely that deserves more respect for it's life than the other way round.
I don't follow your logic.
Original post by Just my opinion
So the chicken egg is unfertilized but the human egg is fertilized and a growing foetus/baby so surely that deserves more respect for it's life than the other way round.
I don't follow your logic.

well they were trying to say that vegans don't eat chicken eggs because they harm the foetus, when in actual fact it is not for this reason at all (as there is no foetus in the egg).

So the logic that vegans don't want a chicken foetus to 'suffer' is irrelevant and cannot be applied to the ethics of abortion- it cannot be a reason for vegans as a group to be against abortion. Vegans can therefore be pro choice.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by BlairPeach
the way animals are killed is with minimal suffering. Your point is extremely flawed

Minimal =/= none

I believe at the time of early pregnancy the foetus has not developed into an actual living creature yet. Due to my religion I follow the mantra “an it harms none, do what you will” and I don’t think an unborn foetus comes under “none” in that sense
Original post by BlairPeach

Have you never watched slaughterhouse footage?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending