Need info- I'm Changing my name! Watch

Instincts_2012
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Mr. Orange)
I thought you wanted to change your TSR username for a minute...then when you started asking whether parents can help you it finally clicked! Best of luck!
Lol (talking about my real life name) lol:tsr2: :tsr2: :tsr2:
This Is Not A Username
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Overuse of the word lol. LOL
jose
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Rembrandt Q. Einstein, Handsome B. Wonderful or Hercules Rockefeller
Instincts_2012
Rep:
?
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
If you are under 18, you can indeed change your name by deed poll, but you need both parents to give their consent.
You need to go to a solicitor. They arrange it for you (as long as you have parental consent - they will need to sign forms).

Then for changing things like your name on your passport, bank accounts etc. you just show them/send off your deed poll (you can get several certified copies from the solicitor once it's done).

I changed my surname by deed poll when I was 15. My mother gave consent but my father didn't, so I had to go to court. Court granted in my favour (due to various factors) so I ended up having it done.
The usual rule is that you need both parents to consent though.
What if i do not have a father?:confused:
Mos Def
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mother/Parent/Guardian
yeahyeahyeahs
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Instincts_2012)
Hey im thinking about changing my name but i don't know the process of how to do it. Do I have to be over 18?
If not what does your parents do to help you change your name? Hey and can anyone find a link to a website with all of the TRUE details please. Nothing like changing your name online and paying online. Thanks (^-^)
how old are you?
if youre over 18, you can change your name yourself. all you need to do is make your own deed poll contract and ask someone whos a doctor, a teacher or a solicitor to sign it and get it stamped.
you also need to sign the contract yourself.

if youre under 18, same process as above ^ but you need permission from your mom or dad and they will have to sign the deed poll on behalf of you.

once you get your deed poll you can change your name of your passport etc, however you can not change your name on your birth certificate.

also do two or three copies of your deed poll just incase you end up losing one.

hope this helps. i had my name change during my parents divorce and have been through the process.

dont bother with the deed polls where you have to pay online. you can do it yourself pretty much for free.
Veni_vidi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
On the passport application you can change your name, if you're getting married or something you need to provide marriage certificate, if it's an error in the name you want to change there is a section on the bottom of the application where you write 'extra' information, you have to also write a letter of the changes you wish to make and send it off with the passport application, with your current passport.
this costs a bit of money and you have to do it through the post office which charges you for the service.

you can contact the passport department for more information on how to change your name, their website is not that informative about this.
Veni_vidi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if you are under 16 you can't do this, you need you parents consent
lolilady---O
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Out of interest What is your real name?
Instincts_2012
Rep:
?
(Original post by yeahyeahyeahs)
how old are you?
if youre over 18, you can change your name yourself. all you need to do is make your own deed poll contract and ask someone whos a doctor, a teacher or a solicitor to sign it and get it stamped.
you also need to sign the contract yourself.

if youre under 18, same process as above ^ but you need permission from your mom or dad and they will have to sign the deed poll on behalf of you.

once you get your deed poll you can change your name of your passport etc, however you can not change your name on your birth certificate.

also do two or three copies of your deed poll just incase you end up losing one.

hope this helps. i had my name change during my parents divorce and have been through the process.

dont bother with the deed polls where you have to pay online. you can do it yourself pretty much for free.
So do you know a place where i could go with my mother to change my name? im under 16 years of age.:confused:
Instincts_2012
Rep:
?
(Original post by lolilady---O)
Out of interest What is your real name?
-.- -.- -.- -.- -.- -.- -.- -.- -.- -.- -.- -.- -.- -.- -.- -.- -.- -.- -.- -.-

(WE HAVE OUR EYES ON YOU!)
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What if i do not have a father?:confused:
How do you mean 'do not' ? If he is named on your birth certificate and still alive, then he still has to give his consent even if he doesn't live with you.

If he's dead then that's a silly question, of course a dead person cannot give consent.

So do you know a place where i could go with my mother to change my name? im under 16 years of age.:confused:
solicitor
qgujxj39
Report 10 years ago
I wonder if Meat Loaf ever thought of changing his name. He must've been bullied a lot back in his school days. Poor guy
Instincts_2012
Rep:
?
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
How do you mean 'do not' ? If he is named on your birth certificate and still alive, then he still has to give his consent even if he doesn't live with you.

If he's dead then that's a silly question, of course a dead person cannot give consent.

solicitor
Hes still alive but divorced with my mum. He's officially out of my life. I live with my mother.
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hes still alive but divorced with my mum. He's officially out of my life. I live with my mother.
you still need his consent.

My parents were divorced when I had my name changed too, and I hadn't seen him for 4 years, but he still had to give consent (which he didn't do, but as I said then I went further and challenged it in court and won).
Instincts_2012
Rep:
?
(Original post by tommmmmmmmmm)
I wonder if Meat Loaf ever thought of changing his name. He must've been bullied a lot back in his school days. Poor guy
Meat loaf?
stordoff
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tommmmmmmmmm)
Probably not.
"Michael Lee Aday (born Marvin Lee Aday; September 27, 1947), better known as Meat Loaf,"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meat_Loaf
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by stordoff)
Probably not.
"Michael Lee Aday (born Marvin Lee Aday; September 27, 1947), better known as Meat Loaf,"

ah so he did change his name then - Marvin to Michael
Alive
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by stordoff)
Probably not.

How stupid of tommmmmmmmmmmmmmm to think his real name was Meat Loaf. What a fool that guy is!

Wait a second...
qgujxj39
Report 10 years ago
God, I would never be sarcastic. Especially not on an internet messageboard.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have any savings?

Yes (115)
72.78%
No (43)
27.22%

Watched Threads