The Student Room Group

Penalized for no conclusion in history essay?

I had my AQA AS history exam last week and I wrote a very good essay (I hope) with 4 clear different factors. Throughout each paragraph I did a PEE and a mini judgement at the end of each para (how significant the factor is). However, I didn’t have time for a conclusion, realistically how bad does that restrict me, if at all.
Reply 1
I had history today and I didn’t finish my last question but I skipped to make sure I had a conclusion. Maybe if you analysed/evaluated throughout like if it was a factor question make sure it’s clear which is important but I know when I don’t finish I try to do one but I’m sure you’re fine I’d rather write a good answer anyway
Original post by anon56431
I had my AQA AS history exam last week and I wrote a very good essay (I hope) with 4 clear different factors. Throughout each paragraph I did a PEE and a mini judgement at the end of each para (how significant the factor is). However, I didn’t have time for a conclusion, realistically how bad does that restrict me, if at all.

I just had a Edexcel history one I messed up with on timing and had rushed 2 sentence conclusion for two essays. Different board, but I know with ours it can be an issue if you don't conclude, however, if you've implied your judgement with the mini conclusions I don't think it will be disastrous. I wouldn't panic about it.

I believe conclusions are fairly important in most essays. You might lose a few marks for not finishing your argument but as long as your main body of your essay was good I don't think it'll be a big issue.

You should always write a conclusion, even if it is one or two sentences. Running out of time is not an excuse as you should know ten minutes out whether you will make it or not. Your essay will be less effective as a result because it is incomplete. If the rest of your essay was ok, then I wouldnt worry.

I think the conclusion gives your essay greater analysis and evaluation which is crucial for top band 5 marks, if you evaluated at the end of every point you made you could still possibly get into the top band
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
You should always write a conclusion, even if it is one or two sentences. Running out of time is not an excuse as you should know ten minutes out whether you will make it or not. Your essay will be less effective as a result because it is incomplete. If the rest of your essay was ok, then I wouldnt worry.

Realistically, if the rest of me essay was of high quality, can I still get a mid-level 4? So about 18/25?
Realistically, if the rest of me essay was of high quality, can I still get a mid-level 4? So about 18/25?

Yes. Even in the last 5 minutes of an exam you have time to write a one or two sentence conclusion.
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
Yes. Even in the last 5 minutes of an exam you have time to write a one or two sentence conclusion.

If you were an examiner and saw a well developed answer with a mini-conclusion at the end of each stated point but without a conclusion in the end, what mark would you give it out of 25?
If you were an examiner and saw a well developed answer with a mini-conclusion at the end of each stated point but without a conclusion in the end, what mark would you give it out of 25?

You are asming me to comment on soemthing I havent seen. They dont negative mark, but you wont socre as highly as is you had inluded a conclusion, because that contains your evaluation. Focus on your other exams and stop fretting.
Reply 10
Original post by smith1324
I just had a Edexcel history one I messed up with on timing and had rushed 2 sentence conclusion for two essays. Different board, but I know with ours it can be an issue if you don't conclude, however, if you've implied your judgement with the mini conclusions I don't think it will be disastrous. I wouldn't panic about it.

i just had a hisotry essay and i didnt do mini conclusions but i did an actual conclusion. is that baddddd??
Reply 11
Original post by BlairPeach
I think the conclusion gives your essay greater analysis and evaluation which is crucial for top band 5 marks, if you evaluated at the end of every point you made you could still possibly get into the top band

hi, im doing edexcel and i didnt do mini judgements at the end of my essay but i did do a conclusion though. this was for a source (topic was italy) question btw. would i be penalized for not analysing throughout my essay??

Quick Reply

Latest