username4067342
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello,
I'm new to this site, and woundered if anyone had any advice or guidens on the Open university bs hon psychology course?

I'm a mature student and have been out of the way of studying for 4 years. I have Practical experience of working In my local mental health hospital and have studded relevant courses at college level. But, would appreciate any preparation I could do before I start in October 2018.

If anyone is due to start this course at the same time as myself and would like to keep in contact please do.

Thank you for taking time to read this.
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
AJaques992405
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm looking to start studying in October 2018 too, for the same course! I'm debating whether to choose the part-time or full-time option, as I work full time at a Mental Health Hospital. I too have relevent A-levels to this course. Maybe we could support each other(Does anyone have any advice on which course length to choose? I personally don't think it'll take me six years to complete, even while working. From reading threads, it doesn't take the recommended 16 hours a week to complete the work. But people have told me that it is either three OR six years, no inbetween. Is this right?)
Kimbo986
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’m starting psychology in October, happy to make a friend. ☺️
MadamePompadour
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm starting the Bsc Psychology in October. I'm doing it full time too.
merrypoppins1960
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kimbo986)
I’m starting psychology in October, happy to make a friend. ☺️
Hi, I am starting the above course in October too, will be happy to have a study buddy.
MadamePompadour
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jessmg2)
Hi everyone, I am starting Psyc in October too! Its nice to hear some others are out there. I'm thinking of making a facebook group of OU psychology students and was wondering if you guys wanted to join me?
Theres already several OU psychology groups on Facebook. You should be able to find them easily enough with a quick search.
funny_h0w
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AJaques992405)
I'm looking to start studying in October 2018 too, for the same course! I'm debating whether to choose the part-time or full-time option, as I work full time at a Mental Health Hospital. I too have relevent A-levels to this course. Maybe we could support each other(Does anyone have any advice on which course length to choose? I personally don't think it'll take me six years to complete, even while working. From reading threads, it doesn't take the recommended 16 hours a week to complete the work. But people have told me that it is either three OR six years, no inbetween. Is this right?)
I am finishing my Level 1 this August and I have to say that it is doable, however, it is not without its challenges. You are right that at Level 1 it doesn't take the recommended 16 hours, however, if you do both starting in October then you will probably have two essays due at the same time, which will put you close to 16-20 hours of study. When you get to the EMA, you will be looking at 25 hours a week, if you want a good grade.

I would recommend studying DD102 (if applicable) in October and starting DE100 in February. That way you only have two assignments due at the same time, and the EMAs won't be on top of each other.

Best of luck with your studies!
AnnieH2664
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am starting this course in Oct too and I am also classed as a mature student. I am very excited. On the OU site it mentions a book called 'an introduction to childhood studies' 3rd edition, 2015 by M.J. Kehily and that it may be advantageous to read so I am going to try that, maybe that would be helpful for you too?
laura-elisabeth
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey! I’m signing up today for the BSc Psychology degree, I’m awaiting an email from OU so I can pick my modules etc. I understand the SFE who are funding this course, class this as part time, however, I was hoping to complete this degree within 3 years. I work roughly 37 hours a week, my job isn’t overly demanding - how doable do you guys this this would be? If it would really be a push, I will do the course as part time (6 years) if needed.
Jaybrown22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I too would like to know the answer to Laura's question! Bump*
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (32)
32.65%
No - I have already returned home (10)
10.2%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (23)
23.47%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (6)
6.12%
No - I live at home during term anyway (27)
27.55%

Watched Threads