This discussion is closed.
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
P82 - Import Tariffs after Brexit, The Rt. Hon Jammy Duel
Import Tariffs after Brexit

Brexit offers a great opportunity to improve Britain's trading relationships with the world and engage in freer, fairer trade for the benefit of both British citizens and our trading partners. Consequently we believe that the government should take a stance whereby the United Kingdom leaves the customs union after brexit to make the most of these opportunities.

We further believe that after leaving the customs union the government should abolish all tariffs on food imports, which average 18% for imports from outside the EU. Such action would lead to cheaper food prices giving everybody more money in their pockets and particularly helping the poorest in society. If this is done over several years along with the phased removal of agricultural subsidies can lead to a far more efficient and competitive farming sector, like in New Zealand while also helping farmers in poorer parts of the world who have better access to our market.

Finally we believe that tariffs should be cut to below WTO levels across the board. This too keeps costs down for British consumers and sends a message to the world that Britain is open for business and pro free trade while keeping bargaining chips for any future Free Trade Agreements to decrease tariffs on exports.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
And this time I can actually vote for it
username280380
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why would you respond to recent acts by the US with their imposed Tariffs tariffs on our goods by cutting tarrifs across the board? This approach is noble but naive.
CountBrandenburg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ayyy I shall reaffirm my support for this
username1450924
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No I believe tariffs should be negotiated in free trade agreements and not unilateral moves, especially with President Trump increasing tariffs.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Afcwimbledon2)
Why would you respond to recent acts by the US with their imposed Tariffs tariffs on our goods by cutting tarrifs across the board? This approach is noble but naive.
Playing their games helps nobody and hurts everyone
username257785
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
TSR Britain will hopfully be able to secure sensible and fair fta's with the us, the eu and rest of the world, no need for unilateral action just yet.
LibertarianMP
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Abstain, given the recent actions of Trump
Gladstone1885
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Counter-intuitively reducing tariffs is the most economically-efficient option. Even though our domestic producers are hurt by the U.S.' tariffs, the higher British demand for U.S. goods will leave U.S. producers with excess GBP, which they will then exchange for USD, causing the exchange rate to rebalance in our favor. The game theory of international trade is interesting because overall, the best strategy is always reduce trade barriers, regardless of the short-term impacts on particular actors within our economies.
username257785
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
JellyMilk what's your view on this as Shadow Chancellor?
username280380
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Gladstone1885)
Counter-intuitively reducing tariffs is the most economically-efficient option. Even though our domestic producers are hurt by the U.S.' tariffs, the higher British demand for U.S. goods will leave U.S. producers with excess GBP, which they will then exchange for USD, causing the exchange rate to rebalance in our favor. The game theory of international trade is interesting because overall, the best strategy is always reduce trade barriers, regardless of the short-term impacts on particular actors within our economies.
My concern is more political than economic. Why are we rewarding a bully with what he wants?
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This should not be unilaterally declared and decided.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Abstain. Negotiating positions shouldn't be dictated by parliament.
Gladstone1885
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My concern is more political than economic. Why are we rewarding a bully with what he wants?
This motion doesn't benefit President Trump politically in my opinion; it makes even clearer the hypocrisy of his trade policies. If foreign manufacturing outcompetes US manufacturing even in the absence of trade barriers, which it inevitably will, there's no possible way he can continue to argue that the US is being treated unfairly with "bad deals"
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Abstain since it's a petition.

I am however quite supportive in principal of the idea of zero tarrifs in most sectors albeit we may require exemptions for some states.
Dafios9128
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
We should deal with Trump's tariffs first.
username280380
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Gladstone1885)
This motion doesn't benefit President Trump politically in my opinion; it makes even clearer the hypocrisy of his trade policies. If foreign manufacturing outcompetes US manufacturing even in the absence of trade barriers, which it inevitably will, there's no possible way he can continue to argue that the US is being treated unfairly with "bad deals"
You can bet he will spin it though - he'll have succeeded in making US business more competitive if we just bend over and take his protectionism.

This is the problem with Brexit - we assume the free-market exists in its purest form. Yet we're going into the free-market as it becomes increasingly more protectionist and less free.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You can bet he will spin it though - he'll have succeeded in making US business more competitive if we just bend over and take his protectionism.

This is the problem with Brexit - we assume the free-market exists in its purest form. Yet we're going into the free-market as it becomes increasingly more protectionist and less free.
So instead we should let the US dictate our trade policy? Whenever we have followed America before we have been told it was wrong to let them dictate to us and for us to follow, now when we propose doing something else that too is wrong.
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would abstain if I was an MP because this is a petition and not a bill, and the devil is in the details. There are too many variables involved in such reform that would need close examination. I would like to see a return of Jacob's bill from some point in the past.
Trevism
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A response to the US wanting a trade war is not to engage them in one. Simple as.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.9%
I'm not sure (16)
3.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (148)
33.41%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.81%
I'm not a current university student (205)
46.28%

Watched Threads