The Student Room Group

student guarantor

i'm a nursing student starting the last year of study in september, can I be guarantor for my daughter who's also starting uni in september?????
Original post by edavies27
i'm a nursing student starting the last year of study in september, can I be guarantor for my daughter who's also starting uni in september?????

some accommodation companies insist on you being a homeowner but each accommodation will have different criteria

Unfortunately most properties will not allow another student to be a guarantor. They require you to have been working for a few years so that it is a guarantee that should the tenant fail their instalments you will be able to cover up the cost incurred. Should you pay in full or have any of your residents sign off as guarantor, it should be fine. Provided they meet the criteria of course. However on the other hand you can also look for companies like housing hand and there are more similar ones that let you pay in instalments and for a one time fee they will take the guarantee of the student. This arrangement the providers are okay with. Also if you could mention which university your daughter will be attending maybe I could suggest a few properties that let you pay in instalments but are not very strict on the guarantor front. :smile:Hope it all is settled for you soon and you both have a brilliant last and first year at Uni. Good luck x

It's hard to give you an answer as different agencies will have different criteria, and it depends on your financial situation e.g. If you are a home owner with savings and a working partner and own your own home then you will probably be able to find an agency to say yes. If you are also renting and have no income beyond your own student finance you will struggle.

Many unis will have a scheme to help students without guarantors. Has your daughter looked into this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending