What actually happens if you leave school under 18?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Senhoritamia
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I see YouTubers such as Millie T, Kiera Bridget, Morgz and so on who are under 18 Brits who don't go to school and don't partake in level 3 courses or apprenticeships.
I understand it's the law to stay in education or training until 18 but what would actually happen if you didn't and say went into full time work?
Just curious as to whether there is any legal consequences
AlkynesOfTruble
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
you go back to education when you're 30 with 5 kids and have finally realised how useful having qualifications is...
Senhoritamia
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlkynesOfTruble)
you go back to education when you're 30 with 5 kids and have finally realised how useful having qualifications is...
but is there any legal consequences? Like can parents get fined or go to court?
AlkynesOfTruble
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Senhoritamia)
but is there any legal consequences? Like can parents get fined or go to court?
i dont think so, I mean, if you tell the govt you're being home schooled you don't really need evidence so you basically legally drop out of school
Senhoritamia
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlkynesOfTruble)
i dont think so, I mean, if you tell the govt you're being home schooled you don't really need evidence so you basically legally drop out of school
hmm I guess. Just been wondering whether it's possible to actually do lol
AlkynesOfTruble
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hmm I guess. Just been wondering whether it's possible to actually do lol
you bvest not acc do it
heididdo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have a friend who did exactly that, left secondary then went to work for her boyfriend who owns a company. Its illegal but nothing has happened to her so far.
I see YouTubers such as Millie T, Kiera Bridget, Morgz and so on who are under 18 Brits who don't go to school and don't partake in level 3 courses or apprenticeships.
I understand it's the law to stay in education or training until 18 but what would actually happen if you didn't and say went into full time work?
The Scotfather
Badges: 18
Report 2 years ago
I think you can leave but you need to have your parents consent. It may be different in England but i'm under the assumption you can leave at 16 (4th year). If you leave you always have the option of apprenticeships and I know people who are quite well off now who left school early but they always had a trade in mind e.g. plumber. Someone else may have a better understanding.
Senhoritamia
Rep:
?
(Original post by chrissy99)
I think you can leave but you need to have your parents consent. It may be different in Scotland but i'm under the assumption you can leave at 16 (4th year). If you leave you always have the option of apprenticeships and I know people who are quite well off now who left school early but they always had a trade in mind e.g. plumber. Someone else may have a better understanding.
ah see I live in England where it says we have to stay until 18 but I've never seen what the consequences are if you leave at 16 or 17. I get what you're saying about having a trade in mind so thanks.
Senhoritamia
Rep:
?
(Original post by heididdo)
I have a friend who did exactly that, left secondary then went to work for her boyfriend who owns a company. Its illegal but nothing has happened to her so far.
if you don't mind me asking has anything happened to her parents like letters from council or school and did she tell the school she was leaving formally or does she just refuse to go?
The Scotfather
Badges: 18
Report 2 years ago
ah see I live in England where it says we have to stay until 18 but I've never seen what the consequences are if you leave at 16 or 17. I get what you're saying about having a trade in mind so thanks.
I presume its up to the judge. It could be that a judge decides to get the social services involved. I think some gypsies don't send their kids to school and they get away with it.
ABCgcseABC
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I got mates who dropped out of GCSE's and went into employment, they encourage you to go to school until your 18, but once your 16, they can't really hold your parents responsible for some things...

As long as your not enrolled in a school, nothing happens, but if you quit school, you need to give them a valid reason or just say your moving and thats it...
Senhoritamia
Rep:
?
(Original post by chrissy99)
I presume its up to the judge. It could be that a judge decides to get the social services involved. I think some gypsies don't send their kids to school and they get away with it.
oh yeah I never thought about that
Ray_Shadows
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
ewwww morgz
Senhoritamia
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ray_Shadows)
ewwww morgz
visit Morgz.co for merch! lmao
Ray_Shadows
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
visit Morgz.co for merch! lmao
i'd rather drink bleach
Marshmello's Dad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nothing happens. I didn't go college. Simply didn't apply and this was only 2 years ago. Nothing happened. Everyone said the police would be at my door...Where they at?
Senhoritamia
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cxm)
Nothing happens. I didn't go college. Simply didn't apply and this was only 2 years ago. Nothing happened. Everyone said the police would be at my door...Where they at?
ah this is what I've been wanting to hear. Are you from England or somewhere different in the UK if you don't mind me asking?
Marshmello's Dad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
ah this is what I've been wanting to hear. Are you from England or somewhere different in the UK if you don't mind me asking?
Yes i'm from England
ohdearstudying
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I believe that if your parents are in reciept of benefits it can be stopped.

However, just go to school to be qualified, it makes little sense to actively want to be less qualified than someone else.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (123)
28.41%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.16%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (85)
19.63%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.24%
No - I live at home during term anyway (128)
29.56%

Watched Threads