The Student Room Group

Anyone have experience with seeing a GP for acne?

So I'm 17 and never really had enough acne to bother me until the beginning of this year. I've tried loads of things to try and calm the breakouts already - tea tree oil, Sudocrem, all the generic spot gels out there - and nothing seems to work. Is it worth going to see a GP so soon (since I've only had the problem for about 6 months)? I'm also worried it won't be deemed severe enough for any kind of prescription treatment - is there a specific cut off point for if they'll prescribe or not? Thanks, everyone!
Original post by lydiac27
So I'm 17 and never really had enough acne to bother me until the beginning of this year. I've tried loads of things to try and calm the breakouts already - tea tree oil, Sudocrem, all the generic spot gels out there - and nothing seems to work. Is it worth going to see a GP so soon (since I've only had the problem for about 6 months)? I'm also worried it won't be deemed severe enough for any kind of prescription treatment - is there a specific cut off point for if they'll prescribe or not? Thanks, everyone!

If your acne is quite bad and doesn't respond to anything, the doctor can prescribe you long term antibiotics, but they can take around 2-3 months to make a difference! Your acne doesn't have to be really severe for them to give you antibiotics either so don't worry about that.

My acne isn't the worst but it's still a bother as it also goes down my back too and I was once given antibiotics, but I have learned to accept it. It is difficult to accept sometimes but it is the best option as it looks like mine will never subside (I am 23). I find going out in the sun for a while each day and generally avoiding make up and using natural and gentle products on my skin help to keep things to a minimum. I find sudocrem works to soothe spots that are particularly inflamed. Also making sure your hands are clean when you touch your face. You will find that acne gets incredibly more severe around the time of the month and when that passes, it all calms down for a few weeks.

Quick Reply

Latest