The Student Room Group

Tear troughs at 17

Hi, I believe I have tear troughs and I'm 17!
Before you all say it's genetics, it isn't. My parents have good skin with no signs of this but I seem to have tear troughs and horrible sub clinical acne. I can't get fillers and wouldn't ever want to as it's against my religion. Can someone please help me on ways I can get rid of these naturally as it's stressing me out.
Thanks
Hi, I have these too. Whilst they haven't gone away completely these things have helped a lot - to the point where you can't really see them unless I point them out.

1) Drink the recommended amount of water per day, sounds a bit daft and obvious but it does work
2) When moisturising your face, rub a little extra moisturiser on these areas gently in small circles with your finger (it might just be my skin type but I've found a gel cream or water based cream is best - I use Garnier Skin Active Moisture Bomb creams (night and day, in the tubs not the tube)
3) Get enough sleep! They look so much worse if you've had a bad nights sleep

Hope these work for you, they worked for me however mine were quite mild. Have no suggestions for the acne though sorry - I don't have acne.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I believe I have tear troughs and I'm 17!
Before you all say it's genetics, it isn't. My parents have good skin with no signs of this but I seem to have tear troughs and horrible sub clinical acne. I can't get fillers and wouldn't ever want to as it's against my religion. Can someone please help me on ways I can get rid of these naturally as it's stressing me out.
Thanks

Listen hun, so do I. They make me look tired, and I generally hate the way they make me look. I also considered fillers as I thought this was my only option, but like you, it is also against my religion as I am Muslim. You have to learn to accept features like this, it is your face and your tear troughs are what make it yours, just like a dimple, or a beauty spot, or freckles. Also, when I lost a bit of weight, their appearance improved a bit as my cheeks became less chubby so my skin was more level if that makes sense? So maybe losing a bit of weight would help - not that you need to, but if you've got a chubby face it may help. I used to hate them, but you learn to live with them, I promise babe :smile: When you get older, you will realise that these things don't matter. (I'm not that old, I'm 18 lol)

As for your acne, see your GP. I also have struggled with acne for a while so seeing your GP is definitely worthwhile as they can prescribe you something stronger than over the counter stuff. Skin days always fluctuate - sometimes you can have a really good day, sometimes bad. Seeing your GP would also help in determining the cause of your acne - it could be hormonal which could mean that a certain medication could be more helpful. Also, if you haven't tried these products I really recommend them: Acnecide (only £10 from boots) it contains 5% benzoyl peroxide so its really strong and gets rid of spots overnight - a little bit goes a long way as it can be irritating to the skin if too much is used. Also Mario Badescu drying lotion (like £13 from BeautyBay), dries out your spots. And on the more expensive side, Kiehl's midnight recovery serum (£32) but works wonders. Make sure you also moisturise your skin well, even if you have oily skin.

Hope everything works out, and don't be upset about the tear troughs, beauty is only skin deep, and they certainly don't make anyone less beautiful.
Sarah x
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I have these too. Whilst they haven't gone away completely these things have helped a lot - to the point where you can't really see them unless I point them out.

1) Drink the recommended amount of water per day, sounds a bit daft and obvious but it does work
2) When moisturising your face, rub a little extra moisturiser on these areas gently in small circles with your finger (it might just be my skin type but I've found a gel cream or water based cream is best - I use Garnier Skin Active Moisture Bomb creams (night and day, in the tubs not the tube)
3) Get enough sleep! They look so much worse if you've had a bad nights sleep

Hope these work for you, they worked for me however mine were quite mild. Have no suggestions for the acne though sorry - I don't have acne.

Yeah I've been doing that. Having my 2l, I too use garnier and Nivea I mix between the two. I can't really get sleep as I have to wake up at 7 every day.
Thankssss
Reply 4
Original post by SarahDoesNotCare
Listen hun, so do I. They make me look tired, and I generally hate the way they make me look. I also considered fillers as I thought this was my only option, but like you, it is also against my religion as I am Muslim. You have to learn to accept features like this, it is your face and your tear troughs are what make it yours, just like a dimple, or a beauty spot, or freckles. Also, when I lost a bit of weight, their appearance improved a bit as my cheeks became less chubby so my skin was more level if that makes sense? So maybe losing a bit of weight would help - not that you need to, but if you've got a chubby face it may help. I used to hate them, but you learn to live with them, I promise babe :smile: When you get older, you will realise that these things don't matter. (I'm not that old, I'm 18 lol)

As for your acne, see your GP. I also have struggled with acne for a while so seeing your GP is definitely worthwhile as they can prescribe you something stronger than over the counter stuff. Skin days always fluctuate - sometimes you can have a really good day, sometimes bad. Seeing your GP would also help in determining the cause of your acne - it could be hormonal which could mean that a certain medication could be more helpful. Also, if you haven't tried these products I really recommend them: Acnecide (only £10 from boots) it contains 5% benzoyl peroxide so its really strong and gets rid of spots overnight - a little bit goes a long way as it can be irritating to the skin if too much is used. Also Mario Badescu drying lotion (like £13 from BeautyBay), dries out your spots. And on the more expensive side, Kiehl's midnight recovery serum (£32) but works wonders. Make sure you also moisturise your skin well, even if you have oily skin.

Hope everything works out, and don't be upset about the tear troughs, beauty is only skin deep, and they certainly don't make anyone less beautiful.
Sarah x

Yeah same I'm Muslim too but I would never consider to get fillers. I can't help but stare at them cos whist most people don't realise I feel some just look and point out things about my skin and it completely crushes my self esteem and I cry about my skin all the time to my mum.
Also I've considered seeing a gp bht my acne wouldn't be eligible for those pills as it's not cystixal acne its subclinxal so some don't even realise it.
Also I think the fact my Face isn't chubby is the reason as my thin skin makes it look worse

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending