The Student Room Group

I'm losing my memory

I'm now 14, soon to be 15. That's a young age to have very bad memory right? But it's getting worse. When I was younger i could remember things for at least a few months, but now when I study or write a story or just have a normal conversation. I forget all about the contents in less than a day. Same goes for when I'm at school. Even if I'm really attentive during class, i can't remember what the teacher said right after the class ends. Not even 2 hours later that I forgot about it! And maybe that's pretty normal for some of the teens but there's more. I forget what I ate for breakfast right after I arrive school. I sometimes forgot that we have homework. I forget almost every thing i have learned for the past three years. If there is a way to help strengthen my memory please suggest some! Exams are coming up and I can't afford to keep forgetting what i studied!
are you sleeping and eating enough? more importantly are you eating the right things (you may have a lack of vitamin B or omega 3 fatty acids) and have a regular sleep schedule (7-9 hours every night)? if its nothing to do with sleep or diet it may be a medical issue and you might want to see a doctor especially if exams are coming up. if it is a health concern you could get concessions or special consideration depending on how serious it is. my mother suffers from poor memory and she takes fish oil and vitamin supplements if that helps.
Reply 2
Original post by Mnahel Saleem
are you sleeping and eating enough? more importantly are you eating the right things (you may have a lack of vitamin B or omega 3 fatty acids) and have a regular sleep schedule (7-9 hours every night)? if its nothing to do with sleep or diet it may be a medical issue and you might want to see a doctor especially if exams are coming up. if it is a health concern you could get concessions or special consideration depending on how serious it is. my mother suffers from poor memory and she takes fish oil and vitamin supplements if that helps.

Aah that may work! And no i sleep 5-6 hours per day but not by choice. I wake up due to natural selection, which is a bummer, plus I'm a light sleeper..... Huh.... Maybe my sleeping habits are just too irregular. But I'll also try the supplements, thanks for the advice!
Original post by FishyQueen
Aah that may work! And no i sleep 5-6 hours per day but not by choice. I wake up due to natural selection, which is a bummer, plus I'm a light sleeper..... Huh.... Maybe my sleeping habits are just too irregular. But I'll also try the supplements, thanks for the advice!

better visit a doctor and he will make a balance for all of these supplements, sleeping aid and maybe other investigations.
Reply 4
Original post by the_queen
better visit a doctor and he will make a balance for all of these supplements, sleeping aid and maybe other investigations.

Ah alright. Thank you!
Reply 5
Original post by FishyQueen
I'm now 14, soon to be 15. That's a young age to have very bad memory right? But it's getting worse. When I was younger i could remember things for at least a few months, but now when I study or write a story or just have a normal conversation. I forget all about the contents in less than a day. Same goes for when I'm at school. Even if I'm really attentive during class, i can't remember what the teacher said right after the class ends. Not even 2 hours later that I forgot about it! And maybe that's pretty normal for some of the teens but there's more. I forget what I ate for breakfast right after I arrive school. I sometimes forgot that we have homework. I forget almost every thing i have learned for the past three years. If there is a way to help strengthen my memory please suggest some! Exams are coming up and I can't afford to keep forgetting what i studied!

Time to see your GP. As you said this isn't normal for somebody your age. GP can investigate and work out what's going on. Book an appt asap so you can get all this dealt with before it potentially gets worse or harder to treat.
Now with all that said please don't worry too much. It's definitely a pretty serious/ intrusive thing to be experiencing, but that doesn't mean it'll be a super serious problem causing it. Some potential causes include lack of sleep, low vitamin levels and other really simple fixes. And especially given your age that's the most likely thing for it to be.
Reply 6
Original post by Kindred
Time to see your GP. As you said this isn't normal for somebody your age. GP can investigate and work out what's going on. Book an appt asap so you can get all this dealt with before it potentially gets worse or harder to treat.
Now with all that said please don't worry too much. It's definitely a pretty serious/ intrusive thing to be experiencing, but that doesn't mean it'll be a super serious problem causing it. Some potential causes include lack of sleep, low vitamin levels and other really simple fixes. And especially given your age that's the most likely thing for it to be.

Alright thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest