Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey! So a couple people asked me for my predictions for Paper Two, so I compared papers again to come up with this. Again, I could be TOTALLY wrong and I recommend revising everything anyways. Btw, I'll probably not make predictions for P3, because most people are doing totally different topics, but I'm doing Schizophrenia, Gender and Forensic Psychology if anybody wants to go over some of that stuff.

Again, likely topics in red, unlikely topics in blue!

Approaches

• Origins of Psychology: Wundt, introspection and the emergence of Psychology as a science.

• Learning approaches: the behaviourist approach, including classical conditioning and Pavlov’s research, operant conditioning, types of reinforcement and Skinner’s research;social learning theory including imitation, identification, modelling, vicarious reinforcement, the role of mediational processes and Bandura’s research.
    • The cognitive approach: the study of internal mental processes, the role of schema, the use of theoretical and computer models to explain and make inferences about mental processes. The emergence of cognitive neuroscience. I really think this will come up as a 16 mark question, because it's hardly been asked!
    • The biological approach: the influence of genes, biological structures and neurochemistry on behaviour. Genotype and phenotype, genetic basis of behaviour, evolution and behaviour.
    • The psychodynamic approach: the role of the unconscious, the structure of personality, that is Id, Ego and Superego, defence mechanisms including repression, denial and displacement, psychosexual stages.
    • Humanistic Psychology: free will, self-actualisation and Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, focus on the self, congruence, the role of conditions of worth. The influence on counselling Psychology - Last year's 16 mark question, has come up a lot in specimen papers.
    • Comparison of approaches.

4.2.2 Biopsychology

• The divisions of the nervous system: central and peripheral (somatic and autonomic).
    • The structure and function of sensory, relay and motor neurons. The process of synaptic transmission, including reference to neurotransmitters, excitation and inhibition.
    • The function of the endocrine system: glands and hormones.
    • The fight or flight response including the role of adrenaline.
    • Localisation of function in the brain and hemispheric lateralisation: motor, somatosensory, visual, auditory and language centres; Broca’s and Wernicke’s areas, split brain research. Plasticity and functional recovery of the brain after trauma. - There were quite a few questions on plasticity last year (+ a few RM marks) but not much on Sperry's research. Localisation is hit or miss.
    • Ways of studying the brain: scanning techniques, including functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI); electroencephalogram (EEGs) and event-related potentials (ERPs); post-mortem examinations. - 8 mark question last year.
    • Biological rhythms: circadian, infradian and ultradian and the difference between these rhythms. The effect of endogenous pacemakers and exogenous zeitgebers on the sleep/wake cycle. I have a really strong feeling these will pop up, because there has hardly been much about them recently. Could be a 16 mark question.

It's harder to theorise for research methods, because everything is so linked, but I doubt there'll be much on observations because that came up a lot recently. Probably not graphs since we already did that in Paper One. They might ask us stuff on reliability or validity, sampling techniques or case studies.

Good luck for Friday, guys!

ReputationRep:
    I’m dreading a 16 mark on rhythms! 😣 I really hope that doesn’t come up.
    And do you think they’d give us a 16 mark in both biopsychology AND approaches? That’ll just be pure evil since there’s probably gonna be a 12 mark on research methods.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by existingusername)
    I’m dreading a 16 mark on rhythms! 😣 I really hope that doesn’t come up.
    And do you think they’d give us a 16 mark in both biopsychology AND approaches? That’ll just be pure evil since there’s probably gonna be a 12 mark on research methods.
    I hope not, especially after the triple 16 mark questions in P1. I'm thinking only one will come up in either topic - guessing what could be in each. Praying it's not on rhythms too, bruh AQA'd legit kill me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emimawi)
    I hope not, especially after the triple 16 mark questions in P1. I'm thinking only one will come up in either topic - guessing what could be in each. Praying it's not on rhythms too, bruh AQA'd legit kill me
    i honestly wouldn't put it past them! they're feeling super evil this year, i reckon cognitive approach will defo come up because it isn't in any of the three specimens or last year's!

ReputationRep:
    There was a 4 marker on genotype and phenotype as well so I doubt that will come up.

ReputationRep:
    Thank youuu ❤️

ReputationRep:
    Please do schizophrenia!!

ReputationRep:
    Do one of these for paper 3 pleaseee!

What topics are you taking? I do schizophrenia, forensics, relationships and I&D

ReputationRep:
    I do gender, schizophrenia and forenisc psych so would love some paper 3 predictions too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imankhwaja22)
    I do gender, schizophrenia and forenisc psych so would love some paper 3 predictions too!
    Same

ReputationRep:
    hey everyone last minute tip for revision on youtube "psych boost" the guy is very good it can get you some extra marks

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, how did u find the exam? Anyone knows how to do the question that asked about the differences about bio and learning approach? Imean the structure mostly. Also, how did u do the last question on research methods that asked about improving the validity of the study?
    Any help appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sara Duro)
    Hey guys, how did u find the exam? Anyone knows how to do the question that asked about the differences about bio and learning approach? Imean the structure mostly. Also, how did u do the last question on research methods that asked about improving the validity of the study?
    Any help appreciated!
    I found it OK lol it could've been better.. for the essay I structured it description about behaviourism, description about biological so basically AO1s, then i said both developed treatments for people so positive effect on the economy, both deterministic and reductionist and then I ran out of paper and time. For the last question I said there might be extraneous variables so I suggested that there should be a standardised procedure and that they do a laboratory experiment instead so like sleeping in the lab for 2 weeks but idk lol

ReputationRep:
    basically for the first exam when it asked what to do for Spearman's rho, I just put correlation and ordinal.

will they only give me one mark as I did not put 'ordinal data' ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Estarossa)
    I found it OK lol it could've been better.. for the essay I structured it description about behaviourism, description about biological so basically AO1s, then I said both developed treatments for people so positive effect on the economy, both deterministic and reductionist and then I ran out of paper and time. For the last question, I said there might be extraneous variables so I suggested that there should be a standardized procedure and that they do a laboratory experiment instead so like sleeping in the lab for 2 weeks but idk lol
    Wow you must have written so much that u run out of paper.. do u have any idea how were the marks divided? Usually, they are 6 outline marks and 10 evaluation but this is a wired one so idk..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sara Duro)
    Wow you must have written so much that u run out of paper.. do u have any idea how were the marks divided? Usually, they are 6 outline marks and 10 evaluation but this is a wired one so idk..
    Yeah I ran out of paper in paper 1 first 16 market and I just used up all the paper for the second one lol. Maybe its like 3 for bio and 3 for behaviourism and it splits like this for 10 evaluation marks? Idk yeah

ReputationRep:
    What did people write for the 8 marker about exogenous pacemakers??

I described what exogenous pacemakers were and gave examples, said that she could help her baby to sleep by removing artificial lighting at night, and then spoke about Siffre's cave study and evaluated that since it said in the question 'refer to research' or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    I have a few questions about the wxam The biopsychology side went very very badly so I have a few questions. Basically yano the 8 marker apply it question about exogenous zeitbers. My panicked mind meant I forgot I even had to evaluate, but I outlined A01 and A02, does this mean I could still maybe get 4/8 max and capped at a level 2, or will I be capped at lower so get like 1 or 2 marks.

also for the question about why signals from neurones can only go one way. I know the answer now but I put that signals within neurones are transmitted electrically, whereas signals between neurones are transmitted chemically. This means they can only go in one direction because the signal has to convert back into an electrical impulse on the next neuron. (I know it’s wrong I was just wondering whether you think I could get any marks for it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emimawi)
    Hey! So a couple people asked me for my predictions for Paper Two, so I compared papers again to come up with this. Again, I could be TOTALLY wrong and I recommend revising everything anyways. Btw, I'll probably not make predictions for P3, because most people are doing totally different topics, but I'm doing Schizophrenia, Gender and Forensic Psychology if anybody wants to go over some of that stuff.

Again, likely topics in red, unlikely topics in blue!

t's harder to theorise for research methods, because everything is so linked, but I doubt there'll be much on observations because that came up a lot recently. Probably not graphs since we already did that in Paper One. They might ask us stuff on reliability or validity, sampling techniques or case studies.

Good luck for Friday, guys!

can you please do this for paper 3 tommorow

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 12, 2018

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.