ImOneLetterShor
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I’m an international student studying in UWE Bristol this coming September. I’m thinking about landing at Birmingham Airport to save plane ticket cost instead of landing directly at Bristol Airport. So I want to ask about transport...

You see...eh...in my country, trains are where you want to get your guts spilled, and buses are where you want to suffocate or drown in other people’s sweat. But I’ve heard UK is a different story entirely...

So what is the best way to get to Bristol from Birmingham? Note, I’ll be carrying luggage, and will probably fall asleep on the way.

Thanks.
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ImOneLetterShor)
Hi, I’m an international student studying in UWE Bristol this coming September. I’m thinking about landing at Birmingham Airport to save plane ticket cost instead of landing directly at Bristol Airport. So I want to ask about transport...

You see...eh...in my country, trains are where you want to get your guts spilled, and buses are where you want to suffocate or drown in other people’s sweat. But I’ve heard UK is a different story entirely...

So what is the best way to get to Bristol from Birmingham? Note, I’ll be carrying luggage, and will probably fall asleep on the way.

Thanks.
Generally public transport in the UK is fine. For cash-strapped students it's normal. Where are you from?

Birmingham to Bristol is a couple of hours whichever way you do it. You'll be fine.
ebenlehman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I'm a student studying at Birmingham next year, I live somewhat locally- around 20 minutes on the train- not to discourage you but the trains leaving B'ham International are normally absolutely rammed and not the best service in the world. Most of the buses sound similar to your experience... Cramped and sweaty. They would probably do, but it would depend on how often you would be making the trip. I wouldn't want to sleep on them either lol.
Is the plane journey significantly more expensive? If not, you may want to reconsider. It would certainly be a lot easier from a logistical standpoint.

Hope this helps in some way.
ImOneLetterShor
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you all for you help 🙌

I’m from Cape Town, South Africa.

I would save about £600 in your currency if I fly CPT-Birmingham, as not a lot of airlines land at Bristol from here. Only downside is the extra few hours of wait time at stops.

Would uber or some other taxi service be worth it?
TeenRose29
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You could get a taxi or a coach?
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you all for you help 🙌

I’m from Cape Town, South Africa.

I would save about £600 in your currency if I fly CPT-Birmingham, as not a lot of airlines land at Bristol from here. Only downside is the extra few hours of wait time at stops.

Would uber or some other taxi service be worth it?
Personally I'd value the cash more, and would happily put up with 90 minutes of public transport to save a few hundred quid. (But then again, I did spend a few weeks of my gap year taking the Greyhound bus from New York to LA, so maybe I'm more tolerant of public transport than others).

Either way, welcome to the UK (when you get here) :-)
aimen.unilodgers
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Thanks.
Hahaha. Trust me is much more civil and convenient no matter whichever means you decide on taking. One way journey for you will not be expensive either. If you do plan on falling asleep on the way, which I am guessing will be more out of necessity and less out of choice, considering the flight and journey you by then would have already endured. Well in that case a train should be your safest bet. Plus since you will need to be a little more in your senses once you reach Bristol, so the nap on the way ought to help! Take the comfortable route. When purchasing the ticket you can ask for any available discounts to save yourself a few pounds. Also once you reach uni apply for a students travel card asap. Will be your lifesaver! Either way, whatever you decide you will be fine, maybe this is that one adventure that you are sure’ of
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (276)
15.5%
Uncertainty around my education (279)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (177)
9.94%
Isolating with family (126)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.44%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (149)
8.37%
Loneliness (176)
9.88%
Financial worries (72)
4.04%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (163)
9.15%
Exposure to negative news/social media (126)
7.07%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (158)
8.87%

Watched Threads