The Student Room Group

Do I need history A-level to do a law degree?

I‘m not sure whether to do economics or law at uni which is a bit of a problem because my school is making us pick our A Levels really early (I think it’s something to do with making sure they have space in the sixth form for us and external applicants???). My current A level choices are:

Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Currently unknown 4th one

I know that if I want to do Law I should do an essay-based subject, and out of English and history my favourite is history. But, even though I find history interesting I think it might not be the best choice for me as I find it hard to memorise all of the facts, dates, etc. I thought economics was essay-based but now I’m not so sure- if it is, I don’t have to do history and can choose my fourth subject from the list below :smile:

French
Latin
Maybe chemistry (but I’ve heard it’s really hard)

If economics isn’t essay-based then I would have to do history. But do I even need an essay-based subject to apply to law at uni? Would it put me at a really big disadvantage if I didn’t do one?

So would it be better to keep my options open by choosing history and have another two years to decide on a degree, or to choose a subject I think I’d do better in but risk not being able to apply for law if that’s what I decide on?

Thanks for any replies :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ginevrafanshawe
I‘m not sure whether to do economics or law at uni which is a bit of a problem because my school is making us pick our A Levels really early (I think it’s something to do with making sure they have space in the sixth form for us and external applicants???). My current A level choices are:

Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Currently unknown 4th one

I know that if I want to do Law I should do an essay-based subject, and out of English and history my favourite is history. But, even though I find history interesting I think it might not be the best choice for me as I find it hard to memorise all of the facts, dates, etc. I thought economics was essay-based but now I’m not so sure- if it is, I don’t have to do history and can choose my fourth subject from the list below :smile:

French
Latin
Maybe chemistry (but I’ve heard it’s really hard)

If economics isn’t essay-based then I would have to do history. But do I even need an essay-based subject to apply to law at uni? Would it put me at a really big disadvantage if I didn’t do one?

So would it be better to keep my options open by choosing history and have another two years to decide on a degree, or to choose a subject I think I’d do better in but risk not being able to apply for law if that’s what I decide on?

Thanks for any replies :smile:

Law requires no specific subjects although it is easier if you do two facillitating and at least 1 essay subject.

Why? Some of the very top unis prefer traditional subjects an 2 facillitating would get you past most of their criteria.
Essay subject isnt essential but Law involves a lot of written work essaus and problem solving.

Those subjects would be fine. No dosadvantage.

History has a lot of merits though if you are any good at it. Go for the A level you can get a good grade in..
Original post by 999tigger
Law requires no specific subjects although it is easier if you do two facillitating and at least 1 essay subject.

Why? Some of the very top unis prefer traditional subjects an 2 facillitating would get you past most of their criteria.
Essay subject isnt essential but Law involves a lot of written work essaus and problem solving.

Those subjects would be fine. No dosadvantage.

History has a lot of merits though if you are any good at it. Go for the A level you can get a good grade in..

Thank you! If law involves a lot of essay writing then it’s probably best that I do do history so I can practice it :smile:
Original post by ginevrafanshawe
Thank you! If law involves a lot of essay writing then it’s probably best that I do do history so I can practice it :smile:

Grades matter more. Enjoyment matters more.

History imo teaches the best skills though nased on assessing evidence, identifying issues, analysis and evaluation. These are key skills for a lawyer.
Do not do it if you dont have the potential to get a high grade. You either like it or you dont and if you dont , then you could be overwhelmed by volume and boreom.

Think AAA or better and then work backwards.

Quick Reply

Latest