The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A Paper 1 Biological Processes Unofficial Mark Scheme

How did you guys feel? Easier than last year? Grade boundary predictions?

Here is what I put from what I can remember. Share your answers too and correct me if I'm wrong:

Tissues:
W: Liver tissue
X: Pancreatic tissue
Y: Skeletal muscle

Paralysis of diaphragm:
- Constant contraction of diaphragm muscle
- air isn't expelled

Oxygen uptake rate: 9.7x10^-3
Percentage increase: 142%

Moral reflex:
- Babies cry to alert the parents to support their head

Object touching eye:
- corneal reflex
- causes blinking
- to prevent damage to eye
Yes im so glad someone got the same oxygen uptake as me

Did anyone understand the pregnancy breathing question, i only slightly grasped it
I measured the amount the zigzag increased by then divided it by 2 to get one second, divided it by 100 bc why not, and then worked out 20% of 0.02 which was roughly 0.0015? Or something and it matched

Variables to keep the same for the beetroot: species of beetroot, surface area of beetroot touching the liquid (didnt know what to put lol)

Ants:
1 carbohydrates
2 proteins
3 lipids
All justifications were just the rq value

Why is the impulse slower without saltatory conduction: action potential has to depolarise down whole axon, saltatory conduction it jumps quickly between nodes of ranvier

Also that ant was thicc 😍

3 criticisms of graph : continous data so needed scatter graph, x axis not labelled fully, add title, cant make line of best fit (i regret putting that though)

Correction of students work: accelerator nerve not vagus nerve
Cardiac muscle not smooth muscle
Baroreceptors not chemoreceptors
didn't they put baroreceptors in it though?? i didnt know the answer to that bit but I remember reading baroreceptor somewhere lool
Original post by Katiemick8
Yes im so glad someone got the same oxygen uptake as me

Did anyone understand the pregnancy breathing question, i only slightly grasped it
I measured the amount the zigzag increased by then divided it by 2 to get one second, divided it by 100 bc why not, and then worked out 20% of 0.02 which was roughly 0.0015? Or something and it matched

Variables to keep the same for the beetroot: species of beetroot, surface area of beetroot touching the liquid (didnt know what to put lol)

Ants:
1 carbohydrates
2 proteins
3 lipids
All justifications were just the rq value

Why is the impulse slower without saltatory conduction: action potential has to depolarise down whole axon, saltatory conduction it jumps quickly between nodes of ranvier

Also that ant was thicc 😍

3 criticisms of graph : continous data so needed scatter graph, x axis not labelled fully, add title, cant make line of best fit (i regret putting that though)

Correction of students work: accelerator nerve not vagus nerve
Cardiac muscle not smooth muscle
Baroreceptors not chemoreceptors

Yep I put all the same things as you. Had no idea what to do for the pregnant woman question actually. I just measured the gradient from 0 to 60 seconds. Idkkkkk. I got 0.022 which is same as normal O2 uptake they said so I said the boy's claim was wrong. And for the graph ting I said all of what you said but also said that the 0.0 needs to start at the origin. And I said chemoreceptors not baroreceptors :thinking: AND I'm soooo happy you did the same as me for the thicc ant question hahah.
Original post by Annaliise
didn't they put baroreceptors in it though?? i didnt know the answer to that bit but I remember reading baroreceptor somewhere lool

ye you're right. they put baroreceptors but we were meant to say it is chemoreceptors. I loved that question so much tbh
Original post by dunnoanything
ye you're right. they put baroreceptors but we were meant to say it is chemoreceptors. I loved that question so much tbh

Ah yes that was it i wrote the wrong way round in my post

Quick Reply

Latest