The Student Room Group

Team members on my placement have been b****ing about me behind my back

I'm in my first year of placement and in my final placement I got moved to a new area. Nobody showed me around or told me what to do. On first few days I asked but always got brushed off. They didn't talk to me. Even now I don't think they even know that I'm married or even have a very young daughter. After my other placements I had positive remarks about joining g in with the team, hete, I have found out that they have been complaining about me not doing anything. They ignore me half the time and dissapear to do things, . once the whole team disappeared and found them all having a break in the tea room.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
The team manager has also been talking about me but never once has spoken to me to ask if I'm OK, or do I understand what's going on, or do I want to help out with this, PR even let me show you how we do this hefe and I can give you this job next time. I know I could push more but after getting three word replies, even from the manager over a few days I gave up and felt deflated. All the confidence I built up in the last evaporated after being in that environment. I spoke to my link lecturer who didn't really help, and I can't speak to other staff there as it's a small unit and I shall be working sometimes with those individuals discussed above
Original post by Studentopd
The team manager has also been talking about me but never once has spoken to me to ask if I'm OK, or do I understand what's going on, or do I want to help out with this, PR even let me show you how we do this hefe and I can give you this job next time. I know I could push more but after getting three word replies, even from the manager over a few days I gave up and felt deflated. All the confidence I built up in the last evaporated after being in that environment. I spoke to my link lecturer who didn't really help, and I can't speak to other staff there as it's a small unit and I shall be working sometimes with those individuals discussed above

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time on your placement.

The first thing you need to do is discuss with your placement facilitator or personal tutor to make them aware of your situation, even if they are unable to help.

This may not be what you want to hear, but you also need to consider how you are coming across on placement. Your first couple of placements will mostly consist of people asking you if you want to shadow them and giving you opportunities, but soon after this you are expected to really take initiative and seek these things out yourself. It can be a steep learning curve but most staff will now expect you to make yourself useful and really contribute to the team, without being directly led. Most students find it hard to go from being intensively mentored and shadowing to starting to work alone so this isn't unusual.

Have you asked for a sit-down chat with your mentor and/or ward manager to talk about how you are getting on? It's possible that they don't know how you are feeling or that you maybe need a little more support. While the university do have some responsibility for the quality of your placements, you are ultimately responsible for your professional relationships and your own learning (and also ensuring you meet the criteria to pass your assessments).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending