G.Y
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
2 questions

1) Why is electron diffraction a more accurate method for determining nuclear diameter than the closest distance of approach alpha scattering method?

2) How would you find the half life from a log graph of ln N against t where N is no. of nuclei.

ln3 is not half of ln6 so I don't see a way of doing it
Art111111
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
1) use the de broglie wavelenth of an electron. Remember that the diffraction is greatest when the wavelength is very close to the gap between atoms in a structure.
2) A graph of ln(N) against t would have the equation ln(N) = -λ x t + ln(No) so the gradient is -λ which you can use to find t1/2
G.Y
Rep:
?
(Original post by Art111111)
1) use the de broglie wavelenth of an electron. Remember that the diffraction is greatest when the wavelength is very close to the gap between atoms in a structure.
2) A graph of ln(N) against t would have the equation ln(N) = -λ x t + ln(No) so the gradient is -λ which you can use to find t1/2
Thanks for number 2 but for number 1, I didn't ask how to determine the nuclear radius by electron diffraction, I asked why it's a more accurate method than alpha scattering.
Art111111
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by G.Y)
Thanks for number 2 but for number 1, I didn't ask how to determine the nuclear radius by electron diffraction, I asked why it's a more accurate method than alpha scattering.
How does alpha particle scattering produce a value for nuclear radius?
G.Y
Rep:
?
(Original post by Art111111)
How does alpha particle scattering produce a value for nuclear radius?
No, never mind.
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by G.Y)
No, never mind.
You have answered your own question.

1) Why is electron diffraction a more accurate method for determining nuclear diameter than the closest distance of approach alpha scattering method?

Alpha scattering does not measure the nuclear radius but measure the least distance of approach.
Alpha scattering's measurements are disturbed by the strong nuclear force when coming close to the nucleus or electrons are not subject to the strong nuclear force.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (324)
56.15%
I don't have everything I need (253)
43.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise