The Student Room Group

Got my test in 11 days and i'm not feeling too confident.

Hi,

I've had 25 hours of lessons with no practice outside of them. I booked my test in April for 18th June, thinking i'd be ready. I had a mock today with my instructor and it went quite badly. I made some stupid mistakes under the conditions and it knocked my confidence, as i failed the mock. I know how to drive and i'm a safe driver, but it just went completely out my head, i think due to the conditions i was under with my instructor, i panicked :/

I'm now nervous about taking the test, and she advised i should look at postponing it, but i checked and the closest date was early August. If i rebook the test, more money and more time :frown:.

I thought about trying to fit in like 5/6 hours of lessons next week so i'm ready for my test and built up confidence again in the areas in which i messed up, which may be enough for me to pass on the real test on the next Monday? I have asked for her input and i'll listen to her, but just wanted some more thoughts on it :smile:

Cheers :smile:
Original post by harvey_v
Hi,

I've had 25 hours of lessons with no practice outside of them. I booked my test in April for 18th June, thinking i'd be ready. I had a mock today with my instructor and it went quite badly. I made some stupid mistakes under the conditions and it knocked my confidence, as i failed the mock. I know how to drive and i'm a safe driver, but it just went completely out my head, i think due to the conditions i was under with my instructor, i panicked :/

I'm now nervous about taking the test, and she advised i should look at postponing it, but i checked and the closest date was early August. If i rebook the test, more money and more time :frown:.

I thought about trying to fit in like 5/6 hours of lessons next week so i'm ready for my test and built up confidence again in the areas in which i messed up, which may be enough for me to pass on the real test on the next Monday? I have asked for her input and i'll listen to her, but just wanted some more thoughts on it :smile:

Cheers :smile:

Hi harvey,

Did you talk to your instructor before you booked it, and did they agree at that point? It's hard to say what's best to do in the situation, but if you're generally a good driver and it was just the pressure, then perhaps a intensive lesson course next week will help; though your instructor may be unable to book this last minute.

Equally, I'd have think about your confidence levels in driving, and if you think you'd feel okay in the actual test, or driving on your own after it if you passed - if you don't think you'd be comfortable in either of those situations, then perhaps it is worth thinking about postponing it.

Have a chat through it all with your instructor as you say, and see if she thinks you'll be ready after the 5/6 more hours of lessons :smile:

Best of luck with it!
My mock was a mess, my instructor looked at me during the pre-test mock and for the first time in 6 months with him, he swore - "If you drive like this in the test you're ******"
I went on to pass that day with just 4 minors.

You get all your stupid out in my mocks, it's a good thing, don't worry, if your lessons have been good you'll be fine.
Honestly don’t panic.If you feel stressed or under pressure, open a window.

What I find is instructors want money. No matter how nice they seem, they want that extra dough so will say you made more mistakes than you actually did. Often instructors are more harsh than the actual examiner just to instil good driving values into you. I remember when I was driving to my test centre for my test, the instructor said 3 times I would fail ( literally minutes before my test!!!) because of minor errors and I ended up passing with 1 minor.

The things you are weak at, constantly focus on that. Forget anything else and just focus on those.
Reply 4
Thanks for the detailed replies, i made the decision to postpone the test for a while so i’m confident going in to my test and i’m your tips will help me when i come to taking my test, cheers!
Original post by harvey_v
Thanks for the detailed replies, i made the decision to postpone the test for a while so i’m confident going in to my test and i’m your tips will help me when i come to taking my test, cheers!

Good decision, I postponed mine a month before I was initially due to take it because I didn't feel too ready, it was worth it, I'm convinced I'd have failed it. There is no rush.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending