Free time with Medicine Watch

googlyeyed400
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi, I'm interested in doing Medicine but also am an avid actor as well. I was wondering how much time one might have at medical school, specifically the likes of Cambridge, to do well in the course whilst pursue drama/student plays seriously.
Nottie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
lmao, it's either Cambridge or medicine or serious 'career' other than medicine or doing well.
Can't have everything unless you decide to not eat or sleep
googlyeyed400
Rep:
?
So it's impractical to aim to do both at Uni? How much free time do you get at Nottingham?

(Original post by Nottie)
lmao, it's either Cambridge or medicine or serious 'career' other than medicine or doing well.
Can't have everything unless you decide to not eat or sleep
Nottie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by googlyeyed400)
So it's impractical to aim to do both at Uni? How much free time do you get at Nottingham?
I got quite a lot in 1st and 2nd year, but had to study most of the time to get decent grades.
I don't have much free time now and when I do I usually have to do work anyway.
I do synchronised swimming two times per week for 1.5h and that's about how much hobby I can maintain and anyway couldn't participate in any competition because I couldn't afford extra trainings (time-wise). I did get quite decent grades in these exams though.

Now Cambridge is much more intense than Nottingham and from what I heard from people doing various degrees there, you don't get free weekends when you're Cambridge student
googlyeyed400
Rep:
?
Right - this is very useful. Thanks a lot.

(Original post by Nottie)
I got quite a lot in 1st and 2nd year, but had to study most of the time to get decent grades.
I don't have much free time now and when I do I usually have to do work anyway.
I do synchronised swimming two times per week for 1.5h and that's about how much hobby I can maintain and anyway couldn't participate in any competition because I couldn't afford extra trainings (time-wise). I did get quite decent grades in these exams though.

Now Cambridge is much more intense than Nottingham and from what I heard from people doing various degrees there, you don't get free weekends when you're Cambridge student
username1865079
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi, I'm interested in doing Medicine but also am an avid actor as well. I was wondering how much time one might have at medical school, specifically the likes of Cambridge, to do well in the course whilst pursue drama/student plays seriously.
I think it’d depend on how much and which club/society you want to get involved in. (There’re several university-wide clubs and some college-based societies)
The thing with Cambridge (and Oxford) is that their term is much shorter (8 was) than other universities, so obviously, their course is much intense and demanding during a term time.
It’s noy acting but I know a few medics who joined a club in the first year which required regular participation (mainly sports clubs) who dropped out as their work-load gets too much. I know a couple of guys who only participated as a sub when the club was needed one. Some of them returned to the club as a fully-participating members, some didn’t.
The people who were with clubs/societies that does not require participation were obviously in a better position, but something like acting may not be one of them if they work towards regular productions.
I also know a girl (medic) who didn’t get involved in any club/societies, so that she could concentrate on her work, but afaik something like that is not common, even among medics.

Maybe these guys can share their experience as (ex or current) Cambridge medics.
Helenia
Chief Wiggum
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Thanks for the mention vincrows

I wasn't really involved in the drama scene in Cambridge but regarding any extra-curricular and medicine, I think the general rule is that you can do one big activity but not more. Even then, there's a chance your grades may suffer. For the first three years, medicine at Cambridge is not much different in terms of workload than other science courses like NatSci. There are compulsory practicals and a higher number of lectures and supervisions than other subjects but they're all in normal working hours so if you're organised it should be possible to go to rehearsals etc in the evenings. I don't know how your theatre commitments would work when you're actually putting on a play etc, but it is expected that you don't let it get in the way of your studies - though the same should really be true of all subjects!

There is a medics revue show and a medics' panto in clinical years, but these are both fairly amateur shows.

Like I said, I didn't do any serious drama, though I was in the medics' panto twice. I did a few medium-commitment activities rather than one high-level one - college rowing, bits and pieces of music, running a Brownie pack etc - and I did ok. I have friends who did Blues level sport and got through the course fine, though it definitely affected grades in some cases.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (166)
18.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.54%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.64%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.5%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.61%

Watched Threads