Will J Watts
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am currently in year 12 studying Geography, Economics and English Literature and in the process of trying to choose a university to study Geography (preferably human). My targets are AAA at A-Level (A*AA maybe but not sure).

My current shortlist is 1) Durham 2) Exeter 3) LSE 4) UCL 5) Nottingham 6) Leeds (I've heard student satisfaction is very poor at LSE however).

Can anyone give me advice on the unis I have shortlisted and whether there are any others they recommend?
Pearlfection1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
UCL and Nottingham are quite good universities. I saw both of them when I was deciding to go into Psychology and othe variations.
OxGeogSoc
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Will J Watts)
I am currently in year 12 studying Geography, Economics and English Literature and in the process of trying to choose a university to study Geography (preferably human). My targets are AAA at A-Level (A*AA maybe but not sure).

My current shortlist is 1) Durham 2) Exeter 3) LSE 4) UCL 5) Nottingham 6) Leeds (I've heard student satisfaction is very poor at LSE however).

Can anyone give me advice on the unis I have shortlisted and whether there are any others they recommend?
Hi there, I appreciate this advice comes late, but I imagine you're sitll in the choosing process. In terms of general University-choosing advice, I would ignore any league tables or statistics (unless they are really obviously bad - an 85% vs 80% satisfaction rate is NOT glaring though) and look at the course content. Look at what each Human Geography degree offers, as they're all really different. Geography is a very varied subject by its nature, so some may focus on Transport Geographies, some on Cultural Geographies and some on Political Geographies.

Once you've picked your 5, I would really recommend going to Open Days. When you go, you really get a 'feel' for how University life there. You can also assess whether you like the place study (e.g. do you prefer campus over city, big city of LSE vs small student town of Durham etc.). It's a factor you can't really get from prospectuses and the internet, so going is important. Also, look at the life outside of the course too - does one of these allow you to take a language, or study abroad? Does one Uni have a good sports team in a sport you play? All of that is far more important that statistics - at the end of the day, average student satisfaction doesn't impact YOUR personal enjoyment of a place, so pick what's best for you, not what is statistically the best.

Finally, all those are fine Universities, and you'd enjoy a degree in any of those. LSE satisfaction I imagine has to do with the difficulty of big-city London life (though I don't know this for certain), so this is a factor to consider. But I would ALSO add Oxford (or Cambridge) into that bracket. Your grades are right to get in A*AA is the grade requirements, and I couldn't recommend the University and Geog course highly enough. The Human course here is incredibly varied, from Human to Cultural to Economic to Political to Social Geographies. We have Open Days next week (27th and 28th of June) and in September (14th). Don't be put off by the admissions or if you come from a low-Oxford intake area. PM me if you'd like any further advice (on any universities), and definitely don't discount Oxbridge!

- Oxford Geography Society
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.3%
Excited but a bit nervous (129)
44.95%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.54%
I'm really nervous (58)
20.21%

Watched Threads